Movies of the kind of Lumet's 12 Angry Men and Hitchcock's Rope

In summary, movies which use a small closed locale as their filming location include: Sydney Lumet's 12 Angry Men, Alfred Hitchcock's Rope, and My Dinner with Andre.
jackson6612
Sydney Lumet's 12 Angry Men was filmed on one set in a room and consisted mostly of dialogue. Likewise, entire of Alfred Hitchcock's Rope was set in one apartment. what other movies can you think of which also used a small closed locaility as their filming location? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
jackson6612 said:
Sydney Lumet's 12 Angry Men was filmed on one set in a room and consisted mostly of dialogue. Likewise, entire of Alfred Hitchcock's Rope was set in one apartment. what other movies can you think of which also used a small closed locaility as their filming location? Thanks.

Phone Booth spent most of it's time in a phone booth.

Rear Window.

Fantastic Voyage stays primarily inside the body of a person.

Don't know how I happened to forget Rear Window.

One of my absolute favorites, The Man from Earth.

A quirky honorable mention that mostly fits the bill: Mojave Phone Booth

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0123755/" . Of course, it had many different compartments...

Last edited by a moderator:
Closet Land.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101597/

A young writer is interrogated by a sadistic secret policeman. She is accused of embedding political messages in her children's stories. The entire movie takes place in one room, with only the two actors. The movie is set in an unidentified, modern police state.

movies based on plays are like that. besides 12 angry men, there's also a streetcar named desire & casablanca

There's "Monster in a box" and "Swimming to Cambodia" by Spaulding Grey, but they are just monologues on stage, rather than cinematic productions.

Hitchcock's "Lifeboat" is a good one.

oh yeah, dogville another good one

berkeman said:
"My Dinner with Andre" comes to mind. I didn't really like it much though:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Dinner_with_Andre

Funny -- I'll have to follow some of the "Parody" links in the wiki article though... :-p

In a similar vein, there is Mindwalk - a discussion between a priest, a philosopher, and a physicist. Unfortunately, this is based on the highly dubious book, The Tao of Physics, which is generally considered to be nonsense.

Arsenic and old lace

Ten little Indians

Last edited:
Clue

How about a television episode?

One of the latest seasons of Doctor Who (I think it was season 4, the last season with David Tennant) had a terrific episode called Midnight. Basically the entire episode takes place in the space equivalent of a tour bus.

Rocky Horror Picture Show is pretty confined, set-wise

Apollo 13

Granted, this only partly qualifies, but it seemed to good to avoid mention. Talk about a small set!

Last edited:

Related to Movies of the kind of Lumet's 12 Angry Men and Hitchcock's Rope

1. What makes movies like Lumet's 12 Angry Men and Hitchcock's Rope stand out from other films?

Movies like 12 Angry Men and Rope are known for their unique and innovative storytelling techniques. Both films take place in a single location and in real time, creating a sense of claustrophobia and urgency for the audience. Additionally, they both feature highly skilled and nuanced performances from their actors, making the dialogue and character interactions the main focus of the film.

2. How do these movies reflect the social and political climate of their time?

12 Angry Men and Rope were both released in the 1950s, a time when there was a lot of social and political tension in the United States. These films address issues of prejudice and justice, reflecting the anxieties and struggles of the time period. They also offer commentary on the American legal system and the flaws within it.

3. Are there any common themes between these two films?

Both 12 Angry Men and Rope explore the concept of morality and the consequences of our actions. In 12 Angry Men, the jurors must grapple with their personal biases and prejudices as they decide the fate of a young man accused of murder. In Rope, two friends commit a heinous crime and must deal with the moral dilemma of whether to confess or try to get away with it.

4. How do the directors' styles differ in these two films?

Sidney Lumet and Alfred Hitchcock were both highly acclaimed directors, known for their distinct styles. In 12 Angry Men, Lumet uses a more naturalistic approach, with long takes and a focus on the actors' performances. Hitchcock, on the other hand, is known for his use of suspense and manipulation of the audience's emotions, which is evident in Rope through his signature camera movements and editing techniques.

5. Why have these films stood the test of time?

Both 12 Angry Men and Rope have become timeless classics due to their captivating storytelling, dynamic characters, and thought-provoking themes. They continue to resonate with audiences today because of their universal messages about justice, morality, and the complexities of human nature. Additionally, the technical aspects of these films, such as the cinematography and performances, are still highly praised and studied by filmmakers and critics alike.