Movement in curved spacetime via deforming one's body

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of swimming in space by deforming one's body, which may be possible in curved spacetime. The problem is that while the concept is understood, the mathematical calculations required to determine the speed and size needed for useful movement are beyond the speaker's knowledge. The articles and links provided also suggest that this method of propulsion may not actually work due to the conservation of momentum.
rorix_bw
Apologies if this is the wrong topic, but I think it's relevant under GR since it involves curved space time and I can't see it applying to Newtonian systems.

I found an article about swimming in space by deforming one's body. This should not be possible according to my understanding of classical physics, but in curved spacetime it apparently can work.

Now the problem is, I understand how it can be done from the links provided, but I lack the formal mathematical training to make any notion of how fast one could move, or how big one would need to be in order to gain a useful velocity.

The links to the paper, and to a "pop sci" website that explains it with animations

http://dspace.mit.edu/handle/1721.1/6706

http://www.science20.com/hammock_physicist/swimming_through_empty_space

How would I go about calculating this?

Basic calculus (integration by parts etc) and matrix transforms for 3d computer graphics is the limit of my mathematical knowledge.

Physics news on Phys.org
rorix_bw said:
Now the problem is, I understand how it can be done from the links provided, but I lack the formal mathematical training to make any notion of how fast one could move, or how big one would need to be in order to gain a useful velocity.
My understanding of the articles is that you can't gain any momentum by 'swimming'. It would violate conservation of momentun if you could. Every stroke (sequence of actions) changes the position of the swimmer without changing momentum. So the 'velocity' of the swimmer is just the distance moved per stroke times the rate of strokes.

There is a another thread in this forum discussing this

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=326206

That's a good point, there's no accumulated momentum. So likely the distance you move will be exceedingly small and therefore probably useless. Unless you're near a black hole where space is highly curved ... but then you're probably finished anyway and therefore probably equally useless :-)

Related to Movement in curved spacetime via deforming one's body

1. How does one's body deform to achieve movement in curved spacetime?

In order to move in curved spacetime, one's body must undergo a process known as "shape-shifting." This involves altering the shape and mass distribution of the body in order to manipulate the gravitational field around it. This can be achieved through advanced technologies or through the mental focus and control of the individual.

2. What is the concept of curved spacetime and how does it relate to movement?

Curved spacetime is a fundamental concept in Einstein's theory of general relativity. It describes how the presence of mass and energy can cause the fabric of space and time to bend, creating a curvature that affects the motion of objects within it. In order to move in curved spacetime, one must be able to manipulate this curvature through the deformation of their body.

3. Are there any potential risks or side effects to using this method of movement?

As with any advanced technology or mental ability, there are always potential risks and side effects. The process of shape-shifting and manipulating the gravitational field can be physically and mentally taxing, and should only be attempted by those with proper training and understanding of the process. It is also important to consider the potential consequences of altering the fabric of spacetime, as it can have unpredictable effects on the surrounding environment.

4. Can anyone learn how to move in curved spacetime via deforming their body?

The ability to move in curved spacetime through body deformation is not something that can be learned easily or by everyone. It requires a deep understanding of physics, as well as advanced physical and mental control. Some individuals may have a natural inclination towards this ability, but it is not something that can be achieved without proper training and practice.

5. Are there any practical applications for this method of movement?

The concept of moving in curved spacetime via body deformation is still largely theoretical and has not yet been fully realized. However, if it were to become a reality, it could have significant practical applications in space travel, allowing for faster and more efficient travel through the manipulation of spacetime curvature. It could also have potential uses in fields such as medicine and engineering, but further research and development would be needed to fully understand its capabilities.