Car Crash Motion in 1 dimension Question

In summary, during a car accident, a vehicle with an initial velocity of 100km/h hits a concrete wall. The "crumple zone" in the front of the vehicle is designed to allow the passenger compartment to continue moving forward a distance of 1.20m under constant deceleration before coming to a stop. The problem asks for the average velocity and time taken for the crash to occur. Using the equations v_f = v_i + at and v_f^2 = v_i^2 + 2ad, the acceleration can be solved for by setting the final velocity to 0 and the distance to 1.20m. It is important to note that the acceleration will be in the opposite direction of the initial
Vroc

Homework Statement

During a car accident, a vehicle with an intial velocity of 100km/h hits a concrete wall. The "crumple zone" in the front of the vehicle is a space that makes up the engine compartment
that is designed to allow the passenger compartment to continue forward a distance of 1.20m under a constant acceleration (negative) before it comes to a stop. What is the average velocity for the "crash"? Calculate the time taken to decelerate to a stop.

Vi= 27.8m/s (converted from 100km/h)
Vf= ?
Distance= ?
Acceleration= ?
Time=? Required: Average Velocity, Time

Homework Equations

Vav= V1 + V2 divided by 2
Vf= V1 + at
Vf(sq)= v1(sq) + 2ad

The Attempt at a Solution

I heard that you can't just take 0 as the final velocity and in that case, I have clue as to where to start this question. I need three variables to get anywhere but it looks like I only have two.

Physics news on Phys.org
if it stops, then the final velocity is zero

Okay. Now how do I put the "crumple zone" portion into effect? I know that if no acceleration is given, It's 9.8 but in this case there's that crumple zone thing. How would I calculate the time taken for the car to decelerate to a stop?

SHISHKABOB said:
if it stops, then the final velocity is zero

Okay, so that gives me two variables. I need three to figure out the time taken to decelerate to a stop.

All the question is saying is that something started off with some initial velocity, then decelerates over some distance until it stops.

You're going to need to solve for the acceleration to finish this problem. I suggest using the third equation you referenced.

Also, 9.8m/s^2 would be the acceleration due to gravity. In this situation the object (the passenger compartment) is only moving in the x direction, which is not going up or down. So there's no gravity here.

SHISHKABOB said:
All the question is saying is that something started off with some initial velocity, then decelerates over some distance until it stops.

You're going to need to solve for the acceleration to finish this problem. I suggest using the third equation you referenced.

Also, 9.8m/s^2 would be the acceleration due to gravity. In this situation the object (the passenger compartment) is only moving in the x direction, which is not going up or down. So there's no gravity here.

I only have two variables though. I need to know the distance to figure out using the third equation I referenced. Should I use 1.20m as the distance?

Vroc said:
I only have two variables though. I need to know the distance to figure out using the third equation I referenced. Should I use 1.20m as the distance?

yes, the problem tells you that "the passenger compartment to continue forward a distance of 1.20m under a constant acceleration (negative) before it comes to a stop"

SHISHKABOB said:
yes, the problem tells you that "the passenger compartment to continue forward a distance of 1.20m under a constant acceleration (negative) before it comes to a stop"

Thanks for the help so far. But just to be clear, After I get my answer I should change it to a negative correct?

Thanks again,
Vroc

well, actually if you use that third equation, the acceleration should end up negative

because if the final velocity is negative, then you have 0 = v0 + 2ad

so a = -v0/2d

if you keep track of all the proper signs, then the answer will end up with the right sign at the end

for instance, if the object starts at 0 m/s and then goes to some positive final velocity, then you will find that a = vf/2d, a positive number

we could also define our coordinate system so that the object is moving in the negative x direction, starting from the origin. If we did this, then we'd have to change the distance traveled to a negative number and also the initial velocity would have to become negative.

If you work it out like I did above, you should find that the acceleration will turn out to be positive. But the important thing to note is that the acceleration in this situation will be in the opposite direction of the initial velocity, because the object is *slowing down*. It won't always be *negative*, but if the object is slowing down, the acceleration will be in the *opposite direction*, meaning that it will have the opposite sign of the initial velocity.

SHISHKABOB said:
well, actually if you use that third equation, the acceleration should end up negative

because if the final velocity is negative, then you have 0 = v0 + 2ad

so a = -v0/2d

if you keep track of all the proper signs, then the answer will end up with the right sign at the end

for instance, if the object starts at 0 m/s and then goes to some positive final velocity, then you will find that a = vf/2d, a positive number

we could also define our coordinate system so that the object is moving in the negative x direction, starting from the origin. If we did this, then we'd have to change the distance traveled to a negative number and also the initial velocity would have to become negative.

If you work it out like I did above, you should find that the acceleration will turn out to be positive. But the important thing to note is that the acceleration in this situation will be in the opposite direction of the initial velocity, because the object is *slowing down*. It won't always be *negative*, but if the object is slowing down, the acceleration will be in the *opposite direction*, meaning that it will have the opposite sign of the initial velocity.

V2(sq) = vi(sq) + 2ad
0 = 27.8(sq) + 2 x a x 1.2
move 27.8(sq) over and than square it. 2 x 1.2 =2.4. It was then moved over.
772.84 / 2.4 = a
a = 322.02m/s, This seems ridiculous does it not? Ahhh, I don't know where I made the mistake. Even if the 27.8 is not squared the answer seems weird as well. (27.8/2.4 = 11.6m/s)

Vroc said:
V2(sq) = vi(sq) + 2ad
0 = 27.8(sq) + 2 x a x 1.2
move 27.8(sq) over and than square it. 2 x 1.2 =2.4. It was then moved over.
772.84 / 2.4 = a
a = 322.02m/s, This seems ridiculous does it not? Ahhh, I don't know where I made the mistake. Even if the 27.8 is not squared the answer seems weird as well. (27.8/2.4 = 11.6m/s)

the answer may seem ridiculous, but have you ever watched a car hit a concrete wall? The deceleration is pretty fast.

for example, try finding how long it takes now, should be a really short amount of time

Okay, I'm glad I was right to square it. I was actually contemplating putting down the 11.6 instead because it was more reasonable. So 322.02m/s is the answer huh? I think I'm beating a dead horse at this point but you said the answer should end up as negative.I just don't want to end up loosing an easy checkmark on this question. Also, that number is pretty Weird considering there was a dragster question earlier and it went 400m and traveled at at an acelleration rate of 7.84m.

well when you moved the 27.8(sq) over, you should end up with it negative, because you are subtracting it from both sides of the equation

vf2 = v2i + 2ad
vf2 - v2i = 2ad
(vf2 - v2i)/2d = a

since vf = 0, you should get a negative answer for a

and I'd suggest finding some crash test videos on youtube to get an appreciation for the deceleration caused by crashing into something at a relatively high speed

Vroc said:
a = 322.02m/s, This seems ridiculous does it not?
The only ridiculous think is using m/s as unit for acceleration.
m/s is for velocity or speed. Acceleration is measured in m/s^2 or m/s/s.
You should be more careful with units. They are important.
Otherwise your statements become meaningless, like, for example this one:
"it went 400m and traveled at at an acelleration rate of 7.84m".

Going back to the above value (assuming that is in m/s^2), it is not weird, for the data given in the problem.
It may be unrealistic, as in reality the acceleration is not constant during the crash.

Proper units is definitely something you should be careful with, that's an easy thing to lose points on. I can guarantee that you will lose points if you neglect to put the right units.

SHISHKABOB said:
well when you moved the 27.8(sq) over, you should end up with it negative, because you are subtracting it from both sides of the equation

vf2 = v2i + 2ad
vf2 - v2i = 2ad
(vf2 - v2i)/2d = a

since vf = 0, you should get a negative answer for a

and I'd suggest finding some crash test videos on youtube to get an appreciation for the deceleration caused by crashing into something at a relatively high speed
But when you square a number with an even exponent(vi2) It becomes positive. And as you predicted, the time seems even more crazy. 0.086 seconds Ahah, Will do. :-p

Last edited:
Vroc said:
But when you square a number with an even exponent(vi2) It becomes positive. And as you predicted, the time seems even more crazy. 0.086 seconds Ahah, Will do. :-p

there's no squaring of negative numbers going on

0 - vf2 is going to be negative

that means that if it gets divided by a positive number (and 2d is a positive number) then the acceleration will be negative

Related to Car Crash Motion in 1 dimension Question

1. What is the equation for calculating the position of a car during a crash in one dimension?

The equation is x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at^2, where x0 is the initial position, v0 is the initial velocity, t is the time, and a is the acceleration.

2. How do you calculate the velocity of a car during a crash in one dimension?

The velocity can be calculated using the equation v = v0 + at, where v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

3. What factors affect the motion of a car during a crash in one dimension?

The factors that affect the motion of a car during a crash include the initial velocity, mass of the car, and the magnitude of the force applied.

4. How does the force of impact affect the motion of a car during a crash in one dimension?

The force of impact can affect the motion of a car by increasing its acceleration and changing its velocity and position.

5. How can we use the principles of physics to prevent or minimize injuries in car crashes?

By understanding the laws of physics and how they apply to car crashes, engineers and safety experts can design safer cars and implement safety measures such as seat belts, airbags, and crumple zones to minimize injuries during a crash.