Mounting rubber wheel on motors

In summary: I'll keep you updated!Unfortunately, when you test it, you can't get much speed. You might try using a dowel that's a close (but not tight) fit to the rubber stopper's hole. With a dowel a few inches longer than the rubber stopper, you can use that to align the parts and hold them in place until the glue cures.
jehan60188
I am trying to mount rubber wheels on a motor to make a paper airplane launcher
similar to this: http://www.instructables.com/id/Super-fast-paper-plane-launcher/

only, instead of wheels, I'm using rubber stoppers (for flasks)

I've got two questions, 1) how do I attach them to the motor; I'm thinking epoxy, but I'm concerned that it'll drip and lock up the motor
2) should i place the stoppers fat-side-up, and have a fixed space between the two, or should I place them fat-side-down and have a 'valley' for the plane to be propelled through?

any input would be appreciated!

detail pictures:

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/6825/imag0530i.jpg
http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/4063/imag0529b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Epoxy is a good choice, as for keeping it out if the motors, turn the thing upside down so the motors are above the stoppers, gravity should keep the majority of the epoxy out of the motors. It seems like you would want the widest part at the top, so you can use a wider variety of planes, that may not reach to the bottom of the "valley"

Get it centered. You won't be pushing many airplanes if you've got a cam rather than a wheel.

J-Ri said:
Epoxy is a good choice, as for keeping it out if the motors, turn the thing upside down so the motors are above the stoppers, gravity should keep the majority of the epoxy out of the motors. It seems like you would want the widest part at the top, so you can use a wider variety of planes, that may not reach to the bottom of the "valley"

thanks, that's what I ended up deciding to do, pretty much for the same reasons you listed! I've been too busy to get around to actually doing it, but I'll let you know how it goes!

Travis_King said:
Get it centered. You won't be pushing many airplanes if you've got a cam rather than a wheel.

thanks
how do you suggest I do that?

That depends on what you've got to work with. It doesn't have to be exact, but you should make an effort to get it as centered as possible.

jehan60188 said:
... how do you suggest I do that?

You might try using a dowel that's a close (but not tight) fit to the rubber stopper's hole. With a dowel a few inches longer than the rubber stopper, you can use that to align the parts and hold them in place until the glue cures.

updated picture
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/6403/imag0559c.jpg

unfortunately, when i test it, I can't get much speed, so I think I'm going to have to look into better motors.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Mounting rubber wheel on motors

1. How do I choose the right size of rubber wheel for my motor?

The size of the rubber wheel should be slightly smaller than the diameter of the motor shaft. This will ensure a snug fit and prevent the wheel from slipping or wobbling during operation.

2. Can I use any type of adhesive to mount the rubber wheel on my motor?

No, it is important to use an adhesive that is specifically designed for rubber and metal surfaces. This will ensure a strong and durable bond between the wheel and the motor.

3. What is the best method for mounting a rubber wheel on a motor?

The best method is to use an adhesive to attach the wheel to the motor shaft. It is also recommended to use a clamp or vice to hold the two parts together while the adhesive sets.

4. How do I remove a rubber wheel from a motor?

To remove a rubber wheel, first loosen any screws or clamps holding it in place. Then, gently twist and pull the wheel off the motor shaft. If it is stuck, you can use a small amount of heat from a hairdryer to soften the adhesive and make it easier to remove.

5. Can I reuse a rubber wheel that has already been mounted on a motor?

It is possible to reuse a rubber wheel, but it is not recommended. The adhesive may have weakened over time and the wheel may not be as securely attached as before. It is best to use a new wheel for optimal performance.