Motorcycle Wheel of Death

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a "wall of death" where a motorcycle maintains its height on a vertical cylinder as a stunt. The conversation also explores how to determine the speed at which the motorcycle falls off the wall and its position around the wall relative to a timing point. The forces acting on the motorcycle are identified as gravity, the centripetal force from the wall, and friction. The use of Newton's 2nd law and equations of constant acceleration are suggested to solve the problem, but there is concern about the impact of friction. Ultimately, the conversation concludes that more information is needed to accurately calculate the speed and position of the motorcycle.
jwhitley
Motorcycle Wall of Death

Some pointers would be greatly appreciated please.

A motorcycle is slowing down, but maintaining its height on a 'wall of death' (a vertical cylinder where the motorcycle 'drives' around the inner circumference as a stunt).

A spectator takes timings in milliseconds as the motorcycle passes a set point. Armed with only these timings, the wall dimensions and the time at which the motorcycle dropped, how might I determine the actual speed at which the motorcycle finally falls off the wall, and the position around the wall relative to the timing point (or total distance covered since anyone of the timings) when this happens.

I'm not sure that the basic equations of constant acceleration will work out here as I assume friction will be a factor which decreases as the cycle speed decreases. It's been 20 years since I sat in a maths / physics lesson and any help would make me look like the intelligent father I often pretend to be!

Thanks to all.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jwhitley said:
I'm not sure that the basic equations of constant acceleration will work out here as I assume friction will be a factor which decreases as the cycle speed decreases.
Start by identifying the forces that act on the motorcycle. (There are three forces.)

Apply Newton's 2nd law to both the vertical and horizontal directions. In the horizontal direction, the acceleration is given by the usual centripetal acceleration formula. In the vertical direction, there is equilibrium.

Doc Al said:
Start by identifying the forces that act on the motorcycle. (There are three forces.)
Apply Newton's 2nd law to both the vertical and horizontal directions. In the horizontal direction, the acceleration is given by the usual centripetal acceleration formula. In the vertical direction, there is equilibrium.

Thanks for the pointers. So, I'm thinking the forces acting on the motorcycle are:

1.) Gravity (but I don't know the mass of the motorcycle)
2.) The centripetal force from the wall acting towards the centre (again, I don't know the mass) - a portion of which (but I'm not sure what portion) is counteracting gravity and keeping the height constant.
3.) Friction of the tyres against the wall, the wheels bearings and the motion through air.

I was kind of hoping that it would be possible to calculate the overall friction coefficient from the timings I would have (as these are at a set distance which is the circumference of the wall, which I also have), and this would allow me to extrapolate the deceleration. As I know the time that the cycle falls I would then be able to work out the speed, and with some other magic formula, which I also don't posses, work out the area under the 'velocity - time' line and calculate distance travelled.

Sorry that I've not yet seen the light, but any chance of another pointer or two.

Thanks again.

jwhitley said:
So, I'm thinking the forces acting on the motorcycle are:
1.) Gravity (but I don't know the mass of the motorcycle)
2.) The centripetal force from the wall acting towards the centre (again, I don't know the mass) - a portion of which (but I'm not sure what portion) is counteracting gravity and keeping the height constant.
3.) Friction of the tyres against the wall, the wheels bearings and the motion through air.
When the motorcycle is circling at a constant speed, the forces on it are:
(1) Gravity (equals mg), acting down.
(2) The normal force, N, that the wall exerts on the cycle, acting towards the center.
(3) Static friction, f, which has a maximum value of [itex]\mu N[/itex], acting up.​
As long as the motorcyle is not slipping down the wall, then we know that vertical forces must be in equilibrium. Thus: f = mg.

We also know that the normal force must produce the centripetal acceleration. Thus: [itex]N = m v^2/r[/itex]. If the speed is too low, the normal force will not be able to provide enough friction to support the weight of the motorcycle.

I hope this helps a bit. I'm not exactly sure what problem you are solving, and what data you have. Is the motorcyle speed decreasing at a constant rate? If you know the speed at which it begins to slip, then you can use that to find the coefficient of friction.

Related to Motorcycle Wheel of Death

What is a Motorcycle Wheel of Death?

A Motorcycle Wheel of Death is a stunt performance in which a skilled motorcyclist rides a motorcycle inside a large steel cylinder known as the "wheel of death". The rider performs various tricks and stunts while riding inside the cylinder, often defying gravity and risking their life.

How is a Motorcycle Wheel of Death constructed?

The wheel of death is usually made of steel and consists of two large circular frames connected by several metal bars, resembling a giant hamster wheel. The diameter of the wheel can range from 20 to 30 feet, with a width of about 6 feet. The entire structure is supported by a frame and can be mounted on a stage or platform.

What safety measures are in place for the rider?

Performing in a Motorcycle Wheel of Death is an extremely dangerous stunt, and the rider must wear safety gear such as a helmet, protective pads, and a safety harness. In addition, the wheel is usually equipped with a safety net or padding to prevent the rider from falling off or getting injured in case of a fall.

What skills are required to perform in a Motorcycle Wheel of Death?

A rider must have exceptional balance, coordination, and a high level of motorcycle riding skills to perform in a Motorcycle Wheel of Death. They must also have a thorough understanding of the physics and mechanics involved in the stunt to execute it safely.

What are the risks associated with performing in a Motorcycle Wheel of Death?

The main risk of performing in a Motorcycle Wheel of Death is the potential for serious injury or even death. The rider must have complete trust in their abilities and the safety measures in place to perform the stunts successfully. The constant high speeds and extreme maneuvers also put a lot of strain on the motorcycle and can lead to mechanical failures.