Motorcycle Question #2 Right-Left

• Thread starter Julian Solos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motorcycle
In summary, the motorcycle rider turns the front tire to the left to steer the motorcycle around the curve.
Julian Solos
Motorcycle Question #2 Right-Left:

I'm riding a motorcycle at a modest speed, say 40 mph, on a straight stretch of a road. I see a right-hander (a curve turning to the right) ahead. I want to stay on the road, so I push the right side of the handlebar forward and pull the left side of the handlebar backward (effectively turning the front tire to the left).

Am I crazy?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Julian Solos
Motorcycle Question #2 Right-Left:

I'm riding a motorcycle at a modest speed, say 40 mph, on a straight stretch of a road. I see a right-hander (a curve turning to the right) ahead. I want to stay on the road, so I push the right side of the handlebar forward and pull the left side of the handlebar backward (effectively turning the front tire to the left).

Am I crazy?

No - it is called reverse steering. It is the ONLY way to steer a motorcycle at anything above a low speed. You can't help but do this if you ride a bike at normal speeds. It is a technique that is easy to see being used in Speedway and Motocross.
When racing, you really yank the bars hard to flip the bike from one side to another through the twisty bits.

Adrian Baker
250cc Classic Racing Motorycle Club Champion 2003!

Originally posted by Adrian Baker
No - it is called reverse steering. It is the ONLY way to steer a motorcycle at anything above a low speed.

Or countersteering?

This is how we steer bicycles too.

If you don't believe me, experiment in a safe place. The speed should be above 6 mph or so.

I wrote a piece on countersteering. If you are interested, go here.

Originally posted by Julian Solos
Or countersteering?

This is how we steer bicycles too.

If you don't believe me, experiment in a safe place. The speed should be above 6 mph or so.

I wrote a piece on countersteering. If you are interested, go here.

Yes - I meant countersteering. :smile:

Nice website Julian - we obviously share an interest! It is amazing how many motorcyclists haven't got a clue on the basic theory of steering. On my Ducati 916, when really hurtling into a tight 'S' bend, without yanking the bars the 'wrong' way mid corner, I wouldn't get through at 2/3rds the speed without going off the road.

If you like motorcycles and racing, check out my site: Click here

i love taking corners and getting really low down. i used to do a lot of races on my mountin bike, and in one downhill section there was a wide 90 degree corner. i'd come from the left, lean to the right, but slightly steer to the left, and get right down. while the other bikers tried to TURN in the direction of the corner (to the right) and end up crashing or having to suddenly go straight and break. 'twas so funny :)

Last edited:
Here I am pedantically wiping out on my bicycle because of steering, or the absence thereof, spiked off of a very small rock, handlebars twisted to the right about 37°/38°, came down, and 'spiked' on the front end right over translating the force through the handle bar onto my arm bone (Radius) right above the wrist, full force of me (~80 Kilos) doing 'bout 12 - 14 mph (maybe?)...and all of that on a bike tire that has the sidewalls decomposing (with a twist 'running itself' around the rim...slowly) but still having a center tread to ride on... some steering...

Originally posted by Arthur Dent
You guys really don't want to get in a motorcycle discussion with Julian. Pretty soon he'll be telling you that you don't know how to ride. Then he'll start posting his gore-fest. Then you'll ban him, and he'll keep popping back with some new alias or another. Wouldn't be surprised if he already has several here now.

Just a little friendly warning to you folks about Julian Solos.

Well thanks for the warning... :smile:

We have a saying on the racetrack... "The Bull**** stops when the flag drops"

I race, I win, I won the championship! (I'm explaining, not showing off).
I look forward to some future discussion...

What do you ride?

Related to Motorcycle Question #2 Right-Left

1. How does the right-left balance of a motorcycle affect its handling?

The right-left balance of a motorcycle is crucial for its stability and handling. When a motorcycle is properly balanced, it is easier to maneuver and control, especially at high speeds. A well-balanced motorcycle also helps with cornering and reduces the risk of tipping over.

2. What factors contribute to the right-left balance of a motorcycle?

Several factors play a role in the right-left balance of a motorcycle, including the distribution of weight between the front and rear wheels, the design and placement of the fuel tank, and the positioning of the rider. The location and weight of the engine also impact the balance of a motorcycle.

3. How can I adjust the right-left balance of my motorcycle?

The right-left balance of a motorcycle can be adjusted by making changes to the suspension, such as adjusting the springs or dampening. The positioning of the rider can also affect the balance, so adjusting the seating position or handlebars can help achieve better balance. Adding or removing weight from different areas of the motorcycle can also affect its balance.

4. What are some common issues that can cause an imbalance in a motorcycle's right-left balance?

Common issues that can cause an imbalance in a motorcycle's right-left balance include improper weight distribution, worn out suspension components, and incorrect tire pressure. A damaged frame or unevenly worn tires can also contribute to an imbalance.

5. How important is it to maintain the right-left balance of a motorcycle?

Maintaining the right-left balance of a motorcycle is crucial for safe and efficient riding. An imbalanced motorcycle can be difficult to control and increase the risk of accidents. It is important to regularly check and adjust the balance of your motorcycle to ensure optimal handling and performance.