Motor Torque to Stabilize Inverted Pendulum

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of stabilizing an inverted pendulum using a physical system. The measured values of the pendulum's angle and the cart's position are sent to a digital controller, which outputs a value that is used to turn the belt pulley system and move the cart. However, there is an issue with converting the force value from the controller to the torque value at the motor. The conversation also mentions the use of an amplifier and the need for a coefficient of friction to accurately calculate the torque.
NeuralNet
I am trying to stabilize an inverted pendulum with a physical system as follows:
2dtb0as.png

The measured values of the pendlums angle and the cart (runner block) position are sent to a digital controller. The digital controller then outputs a value that is sent to the motor to turn the belt pulley system which in turn moves the cart.

The problem I am having is my equations are such that the value coming out of the controller is the force (in Newtons) that needs to be applied to the cart to move it. I need to convert the force value to the torque value at the motor.

How do I do that?

I am an EE major, and don't know too much about ME stuff. Any help is much appreciated.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Here is a more detailed image:
olie8.png

ADC = Analog to Digital Converter
DAC = Digital to Analog Controller
There is an amplifier after the DAC that is not show.

That u(t) value is currently the force (in Newtons) that needs be applied to the cart (not shown in the figure), I need to convert this to the torque value of the motor (as seen in the diagram).

How do I do that?

Last edited:
For that , I will need value of coefficient of friction. Assuming angle of contact to be 180 degrees, I can calculate torque = (force - force on lower side) * radius of pulley.

We are modelling with coefficient of friction to be negligible.

When you say:
torque = (force - force on lower side) * radius of pulley

What are you referring to when you say 'force on lower side'?

Last edited:
NeuralNet said:
We are modelling with coefficient of friction to be negligible.

When you say:
torque = (force - force on lower side) * radius of pulley

What are you referring to when you say 'force on lower side'?
isn't the torque just equal to the force require times the radius of the pulley? assuming if you are only operating one of the pulley?

Last edited:

Related to Motor Torque to Stabilize Inverted Pendulum

What is a motor torque?

A motor torque is the measure of the rotational force a motor can produce, typically measured in newton-meters (Nm). It is a crucial factor in determining the stability and control of an inverted pendulum.

How does motor torque affect the stability of an inverted pendulum?

Motor torque is necessary to stabilize an inverted pendulum because it provides the force needed to counteract the gravitational forces acting on the pendulum. Without enough torque, the pendulum will not be able to maintain an upright position.

What is the relationship between motor torque and the angle of the pendulum?

The relationship between motor torque and the angle of the pendulum is inverse. As the angle of the pendulum increases, more motor torque is needed to stabilize it. Conversely, as the angle decreases, less motor torque is required.

How can motor torque be calculated for an inverted pendulum system?

Motor torque can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the pendulum by the gravitational acceleration and the distance from the pivot point to the center of mass of the pendulum. This calculation can be used to determine the minimum torque required to stabilize the pendulum.

What are some factors that can affect the required motor torque for an inverted pendulum?

The required motor torque for an inverted pendulum can be affected by various factors, including the mass and length of the pendulum, the acceleration due to gravity, and external forces acting on the pendulum, such as friction and air resistance. Additionally, the speed and direction of the motor's rotation can also impact the required torque.