Motor Selection for Roller: Diameter 300mm, Length 1350mm, Inertia 3.95 KG.M

In summary, the conversation is about selecting a motor for a roller with specific dimensions and inertia, which needs to accelerate within a certain time frame. The issue of incorrect units is also mentioned. The speaker also discusses the role of web tension and other factors in the selection process. However, the conversation ends with the listener pointing out the lack of effort and questions from the speaker to effectively answer the query.
Sathish 07
i need to select the motor for a roller of Diameter 300mm , length 1350mm
DRIVE.JPG
having inertia 3.95 KG.M ,Which needs to accelerate from 0 to 600MPM at 20 sec . Assuming existing web tension acting on the roller 20 N/M.
THANK YOU

Engineering news on Phys.org
And what research have you done so far? What have you found out?

There are some problems with your units. For the tension, you give 20 N/m, but tension is a force and should simply be in N. For the MMOI, you give 3.95 kg-m, but the units should be kg-m^2.

Is it your intention to formulate this whole question on a a per unit length basis?

Also, what is the tension difference across the roller?

Thank you for the response.
I am trying to find out the selection of motor .to rotate the roller .
Considering web tension, bearing drag , co efficient of traction and wrap angle .

Thank you .

Sathish 07 said:
Thank you for the response.
I am trying to find out the selection of motor .to rotate the roller .
Considering web tension, bearing drag , co efficient of traction and wrap angle .

Thank you .
You haven't even asked any questions, much less shown any effort to figure anything out. You need to do that.

Do you want the roller to provide the web tension, or do you want the web tension to drive the roller along with help from a motor? You show web tension on one side, but there is no indication of tension on the other side; what is your intention here?

The roller I have is OD diameter 300mm and ID 264 mm .
From the calculations I got moment of inertia is
27.906 kg.m^2 , which has to rotate at 190 mpm

Both Upstream and down stream web tension is 20 N .

Thread locked for insufficient effort by the OP.

Likes Ranger Mike

Related to Motor Selection for Roller: Diameter 300mm, Length 1350mm, Inertia 3.95 KG.M

Question 1: What type of motor is suitable for this roller size and inertia?

A servo motor would be the most suitable option for this roller size and inertia. Servo motors have high torque and precise control, making them ideal for applications with varying loads and inertia.

Question 2: What is the recommended motor speed for this roller?

The recommended motor speed would depend on the specific requirements of the application. However, a speed range of 500-1000 RPM would be suitable for this roller size and inertia.

Question 3: How do I calculate the required torque for this roller?

The required torque can be calculated using the formula T=I x α, where T is the torque, I is the inertia, and α is the required acceleration. In this case, the inertia is 3.95 KG.M and the desired acceleration would depend on the application's requirements.

Question 4: Can a stepper motor be used for this roller?

No, a stepper motor would not be suitable for this roller size and inertia. Stepper motors have lower torque and are better suited for low-speed, high-precision applications.

Question 5: What is the recommended voltage and current rating for the motor?

The recommended voltage and current rating would depend on the specific motor selected. It is important to choose a motor with a voltage and current rating that can meet the torque and speed requirements for the application.