Motivating Yourself to Study Math & Physics

In summary, the individual is struggling with staying motivated to self-study calculus II using Stewart's calculus. They find themselves making excuses and prolonging the problem, and are seeking advice on how to increase their motivation towards studying mathematics and physics. Suggestions include setting specific study times and reminding oneself of long-term goals.
Cudi1
Well basically the dilemma is I am very interested in maths, I think of math questions as provocative and the sense of genius when you get a complex problem correct. The problem is I am trying to self study calculus II using Stewart's calculus ( single variables) yet i find myself always occupied and finding excuses ( i.e work, exhausted , can do it the next day). I always have these feelings towards the end of the day when I'm going to bed, and I always promise myself that I will do it the next day , BUT I prolong the problem. So my question is how can I make my self more motivated towards studies and in particular mathematics and physics. I would appreciate your input.
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Cudi1 said:
Well basically the dilemma is I am very interested in maths, I think of math questions as provocative and the sense of genius when you get a complex problem correct. The problem is I am trying to self study calculus II using Stewart's calculus ( single variables) yet i find myself always occupied and finding excuses ( i.e work, exhausted , can do it the next day). I always have these feelings towards the end of the day when I'm going to bed, and I always promise myself that I will do it the next day , BUT I prolong the problem. So my question is how can I make my self more motivated towards studies and in particular mathematics and physics. I would appreciate your input.
Thank you

It's difficult to find motivation in self-stufy. But if you were taking classes I would say to just think about whatever goals that you would like to achieve in life, and ask yourself if you will ever get there while neglecting your homework. I don't know what kind of job you have, but try to arrange for a set time where you will only focus on study, even if its just an hour. Learning science takes time, as I'm sure most on this board can attest to.

Related to Motivating Yourself to Study Math & Physics

1. How do I stay motivated while studying math and physics?

To stay motivated while studying math and physics, it is important to set clear goals for yourself. Make a study schedule and stick to it, and reward yourself for completing tasks. It can also be helpful to find a study buddy or join a study group to keep yourself accountable and motivated.

2. What are some effective study techniques for math and physics?

Some effective study techniques for math and physics include practicing problems regularly, summarizing and condensing notes, and teaching the material to others. It can also be helpful to use visual aids and mnemonic devices to aid in understanding and remembering complex concepts.

3. How can I overcome my fear of math and physics?

Overcoming a fear of math and physics starts with changing your mindset. Instead of viewing these subjects as impossible or intimidating, remind yourself that they are challenges that can be overcome with practice and perseverance. It can also be helpful to break down problems into smaller, more manageable tasks and seek help from teachers or tutors when needed.

4. How can I make studying math and physics more interesting?

One way to make studying math and physics more interesting is to find real-world applications for the concepts you are learning. This can help you see the practical relevance of the material and make it more engaging. You can also try incorporating different study methods, such as using flashcards or creating study games, to keep things interesting.

5. What resources can I use to assist me in studying math and physics?

There are many resources available to assist you in studying math and physics. Your school or university may offer tutoring services or study groups. There are also numerous online resources, such as instructional videos, practice problems, and interactive simulations. Additionally, textbooks, study guides, and other study materials can be helpful in understanding and practicing concepts.