Motion in Two or Three Dimensions

In summary, a bicyclist starts at 26m due east of a park's flagpole, going south with a speed of 14m/s. After 35 seconds, the cyclist is 26m due north of the flagpole, going east with a speed of 14m/s. The magnitude of the displacement is 36.8m, with a direction of 45 degrees. The magnitude of the average velocity is 1.05m/s, with a direction of 45 degrees. The magnitude of the average acceleration cannot be calculated without more information.
CodyBr

Homework Statement

At one instant a bicyclist is 26.0 m due east of a park's flagpole, going due south with a speed of 14.0 m/s. Then 35.0 s later, the cyclist is 26.0 m due north of the flagpole, going due east with a speed of 14.0 m/s. For the cyclist in this 35.0 s interval, what are the (a) magnitude and (b) direction of the displacement, the (c) magnitude and (d) direction of the average velocity, and the (e) magnitude and (f) direction of the average acceleration? (Give all directions as positive angles relative to due east, where positive is measured going counterclockwise.)

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly don't know where to begin. Would the magnitude =sq rt. (26^2+26^2)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
magnitude =sq rt. (26^2+26^2)?
yes, but what is the reasoning.

Try to develop the coordinate system, e.g. 26 m due E is what in a Cartesian system, and 26 m due N is what? Assume the flagpole is the center (origin) of the coordinate system.

If one is E going due S, and N going due E, what trajectory does that describe if acceleration is constant?

Hint -
(Give all directions as positive angles relative to due east, where positive is measured going counterclockwise.)

I'd say that 26m due E just (26,0) and 26m due N is (0,26). That I get, but being at (26,0) heading South and then 35sec later being at (0,26) heading East doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Trajectory would be SE?

The reasoning behind the magnitude is that the position changed from (26,0) to (0,26). and the distance between them is the square root of their sums squared.

Think about traveling clockwise. If one is initially traveling south, how does one end up north traveling east?

Traveling in a circle.
(a) I get 36.8m
(b) I thought would be 45 since the arctan of (26/26) = 45?
(c)1.05 m/s
(d) I'm not sure how to go about calculating it.
(e) Divide avg velocity by 35 sec?
(f) 45 degrees?

Related to Motion in Two or Three Dimensions

1. What is the difference between motion in two dimensions and three dimensions?

Motion in two dimensions refers to movement along a flat plane, such as left/right or up/down. Three-dimensional motion adds the element of depth, allowing for movement in any direction, including forward/backward and diagonal.

2. How is position represented in two or three dimensions?

In two dimensions, position is typically represented using a coordinate system with two axes (x and y). In three dimensions, a coordinate system with three axes (x, y, and z) is used.

3. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is a type of two-dimensional motion that involves an object being launched into the air and moving under the influence of gravity. It follows a parabolic path and can be described using equations of motion.

4. How do vectors play a role in motion in two or three dimensions?

Vectors are used to represent both the magnitude and direction of an object's motion in two or three dimensions. They can be added or subtracted to determine the net motion of an object.

5. What are some real-life examples of motion in two or three dimensions?

Examples of motion in two dimensions include a car driving on a flat road or a ball being thrown in the air. Examples of motion in three dimensions include a bird flying through the air or a person walking on uneven terrain.