Direction and velocity vector problem

In summary, the bicyclist moved from 60 meters due east of the flagpole to 40 meters due north of the flagpole in 30 seconds. Their position and velocity vectors were found to be separate, with the position vector starting at 60 meters due east and moving straight up 40 meters, and the velocity vector starting at 0 meters due east and moving 10 meters due south. Their average velocity was found to be 10 meters per second, and their average acceleration was found to be 2 meters per second per second. Finally, the vectors found were drawn in figure 2.
timnswede

Homework Statement

At one instant a bicyclist is 60 m due east of a park’s flagpole, going south at 20 m/s. Then 30 s later, the cyclist is 40 m due north of the flagpole, going due east with a speed of 10 m/s. On an XY-coordinate system with the flagpole at the origin, for the cyclist in this 30 s time interval:
a.) Draw position and velocity vectors as described
b.) Obtain displacement vector in unit-vector notation
c.) Obtain average velocity vector in unit-vector notation
d.) Obtain average acceleration vector in unit-vector notation
e.) Draw the vectors found

2. The attempt at a solution
a.) I was kind of confused on this part for a bit, but the position and velocity vectors are completely separate right? For position I drew the first one 60m straight east and from that vector one straight up 40m. Same idea for the velocity vectors.

b.) I'm not sure about this but I did final - initial, so (0i+40j) -(60i+0j) = -60i + 40j

c.) Displacement over time so (-60i+40j)/30s = -2i+4/3j

d.) Vf-Vi/t so (10i+0j)-(0i-20j)= (10i+20j)/30s = 1/3i + 2/3j

e.) I just drew all the vectors I found.

Physics news on Phys.org
a) I would draw the position vector from the same datum point i.e. the flagpole. Don't continue it off from another vector's end point. Velocity vector's would always be drawn from the end point of the position vector i.e. the datum point 's coordinates change in this case.

b) Looks correct.

c) Looks correct.

d) Looks correct.

Likes 1 person
Yes. paisiello2 said it about the velocity vectors! And I recognize this to be from Halliday and Resnick only they asked about the magnitudes and directions of the displacement, avg velocity and avg acceleration and not any graphical vector representation! But to enhance it, I attached a drawing! Hope it helps as well.

Attachments

• n.JPG
    n.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 613
Likes 1 person

Related to Direction and velocity vector problem

1. What is the difference between direction and velocity vectors?

The direction vector describes the direction in which an object is moving, while the velocity vector describes both the direction and magnitude of an object's motion.

2. How do I calculate the direction and velocity vectors of an object?

To calculate the direction vector, you need to determine the angle between the object's motion and a reference direction. To calculate the velocity vector, you need to divide the displacement vector by the time it took to cover that distance.

3. Can the direction and velocity vectors change over time?

Yes, the direction and velocity vectors can change over time as the object's motion changes. This can be due to changes in speed, direction, or both.

4. How can I use direction and velocity vectors to predict an object's future position?

By using the direction and velocity vectors, along with the object's current position, you can calculate its future position by projecting its motion along the direction vector.

5. Can direction and velocity vectors be negative?

Yes, direction and velocity vectors can be negative. A negative direction vector indicates motion in the opposite direction of the reference direction, while a negative velocity vector indicates motion in the opposite direction of the positive velocity vector.