Motion in B Field: Deduce Conditions & Find Angle for x>b

In summary: Thanks!Drawing the circular orbit shows that r = b for the Lamor radius to keep the particle from going past b. But does the Lamor radius go up or down with velocity?But if x = v/w sin wt then x max = v/wso it reaches it x max > b i.e. v > bw surely?Also is my angle... ok so the angle is given by:tan theta = cot[ arcsin(wb/v) ]
bon

Homework Statement

In a particular experiment, a particle of mass m and charge +q moves with speed v along the x-axis towards increasing x. Between x = 0 and x = b there is a region of uniform magnetic flied B in the y-direction. Deduce the conditions under which the particle will reach the region x>b. In the even that it does reach this region, find an expression for the angle to the x-axis at which it will enter it.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I\'m struggling to understand why the particle wouldn't reach the region x>b! Surely it has an x-component of velocity v which is unchanged because the B field produces a perp force (i.e. in the z-direction) so the x-position would grow as x=vt..?
What am i missing? THanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
bon said:

Homework Statement

In a particular experiment, a particle of mass m and charge +q moves with speed v along the x-axis towards increasing x. Between x = 0 and x = b there is a region of uniform magnetic flied B in the y-direction. Deduce the conditions under which the particle will reach the region x>b. In the even that it does reach this region, find an expression for the angle to the x-axis at which it will enter it.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I\'m struggling to understand why the particle wouldn't reach the region x>b! Surely it has an x-component of velocity v which is unchanged because the B field produces a perp force (i.e. in the z-direction) so the x-position would grow as x=vt..?
What am i missing? THanks!
When the particle's velocity points along the x-axis the force points in the +z direction. But, what about when the velocity no longer points along the x-axis? You need to
write out the equations of motion in detail.

RGV

Aha. ok i see.

I work it out to be v > (qB/m)^2 b

is this right?

Thanks!

bon said:
Aha. ok i see.

I work it out to be v > (qB/m)^2 b

is this right?

Thanks!

Can you show your work for how you arrived at that answer?

ell from the eom you get

x\'\' = -qB/m z\'

and z\'\' = qB/m x\'

and then solving for x you get x\' = v- (qB/m)^2 x

and so we need x\'(b) to be greater than 0, hence the condition..

I\'m now trying to work out the angle though and am having problems..

For the angle i get tan theta = (qBb/m) / [v - b(qB/m)^2 ]

This seems too complicated! Have i gone wrong?

When I (or, rather, Maple) solve the DEs m*dvx/dt = -qB*vz and m*dvz/dt = qB*vx with vx(0)=v and vz(0)=0 I get a solution very different from yours. I then get a crossing condition different from yours, and a tangent of the crossing angle more complicated than yours.

Hint: try a solution of the form sin(w*t) and/or cos(w*t) for an appropriate w.

RGV

bon said:
ell from the eom you get

x\'\' = -qB/m z\'

and z\'\' = qB/m x\'

and then solving for x you get x\' = v- (qB/m)^2 x

and so we need x\'(b) to be greater than 0, hence the condition..

I\'m now trying to work out the angle though and am having problems..

bon said:
For the angle i get tan theta = (qBb/m) / [v - b(qB/m)^2 ]

This seems too complicated! Have i gone wrong?

Another way to approach the problem is to realize that the charged particle will trace a circular path due to the perpendicular magnetic field, and calculate the Lamor radius of that motion...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larmor_radius

berkeman said:
Another way to approach the problem is to realize that the charged particle will trace a circular path due to the perpendicular magnetic field, and calculate the Lamor radius of that motion...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larmor_radius

Ok thanks I've now seen where I went wrong.

I get x = v/w sin wt where w = qB/m

So the condition is v > qbB/m

is this right by any chance?

Thanks!

I get the angle to be given by:

tan theta = cot[ arcsin(wb/v) ]

bon said:
Ok thanks I've now seen where I went wrong.

I get x = v/w sin wt where w = qB/m

So the condition is v > qbB/m

is this right by any chance?

Thanks!

Drawing the circular orbit shows that r = b for the Lamor radius to keep the particle from going past b. But does the Lamor radius go up or down with velocity?

But if x = v/w sin wt then x max = v/w

so it reaches it x max > b i.e. v > bw surely?

Also is my angle right?

thanks.

bon said:
But if x = v/w sin wt then x max = v/w

so it reaches it x max > b i.e. v > bw surely?

Also is my angle right?

thanks.

Sorry, I'm not tracking your sin(wt) path -- I was just using the equation for the Lamor radius from the page I linked for you.

hmm surely the same applies?

the radius gets bigger with v, so my equation is right?

Is the angle right also?

bon said:
hmm surely the same applies?

the radius gets bigger with v, so my equation is right?

Is the angle right also?

Yes, the radius gets bigger with v. But in your answer above, you wrote "v > qbB/m" for containment...

I didn't check the angle -- if you could post a sketch, that would make it easier to check.

And please don't call me Shirley.

No - I said v > ... for the particle to reach x>b, which is what the question asks! :S

And I didn\'t call you Shirley.

bon said:
No - I said v > ... for the particle to reach x>b, which is what the question asks! :S

And I didn\'t call you Shirley.

Oh nuts, I misread the original question! So your solution is correct. Sorry I haven't checked the angle, but it's probably right since you understand what the orbit looks like.

bon said:
I get the angle to be given by:

tan theta = cot[ arcsin(wb/v) ]

I've had time to look at the entry angle for cases when the orbit radius r > b. I get a simpler answer than you did, and different. For one thing, the mass m is not in your equation, but it affects the radius of the orbit. And w is not one of the fundamental things you are given in the problem, so your answer should probably be expressed in terms of m, B, q and v.

I used a sketch of the orbit and the x-y axes, and used the triangle that is formed by the radius of the orbit and the dimension b inside the orbit circle...

Related to Motion in B Field: Deduce Conditions & Find Angle for x>b

1. What is "Motion in B Field"?

"Motion in B Field" refers to the movement of charged particles in a magnetic field. When a charged particle moves through a magnetic field, it experiences a force that causes it to change its direction of motion.

2. What are the conditions for a charged particle to experience motion in a B field?

In order for a charged particle to experience motion in a B field, there must be a magnetic field present and the particle must have a non-zero velocity that is not parallel to the magnetic field.

3. How can I determine the direction of motion for a charged particle in a B field?

The direction of motion for a charged particle in a B field can be determined using the right-hand rule. Point your thumb in the direction of the particle's velocity and curl your fingers in the direction of the magnetic field. The direction that your fingers point is the direction of the particle's motion.

4. What is the formula for finding the angle between the velocity of a particle and the B field?

The formula for finding the angle between the velocity of a particle and the B field is θ = sin⁻¹ (|q|vb/|m|v²), where θ is the angle, q is the charge of the particle, v is the velocity, b is the strength of the magnetic field, and m is the mass of the particle.

5. How can I use the angle formula to find the angle for a particle with a velocity greater than b?

If the velocity of the particle is greater than b, then the angle between the velocity and the B field will be 90 degrees. This means that the particle will move in a circular path with a radius of r = |m|v/|q|b.