Most probable and average value of a function

In summary, In order to find the most probable energy of a neutron produced in a fission reaction, you take the derivative of the function and find the zeros. To find the average energy, you integrate by parts. However, you can't integrate by parts for the even value of u, so you need to use a different substitution.
Grogs
I've been asked to find the most probable and average energy of a neutron produced in a fission reaction. The neutron energy spectrum is represented by this function:

[tex]
\chi (E) = 0.453 e^{-1.036E} \sinh(\sqrt{2.29E})
[/tex]

The first part, finding the most probable energy, seems fairly straightforward: take the derivative of the function and find the zeros - one of these zeros will be the peak of the curve, and thus the most probable energy:

[tex]\frac{d}{dE} \chi (E)[/tex]

I ended up with:

[tex]\frac{d}{dE} \chi (E) = 0.453[-1.036 e^{-1.036E} \sinh(\sqrt{2.29E}) + \frac{E^{-0.5}}{2} \sqrt{2.29} cosh(\sqrt{2.29E}) e^{-1.036E}][/tex]

which, by setting it equal to zero and manipulating, I end up with:

[tex]\tanh(1.513 \sqrt{E}) = \frac{0.7303}{\sqrt{E}}[/tex]

I can solve for E numerically by trying different values of E, and indeed I come up with the correct answer (~0.7) I'm just curious if it's possible to solve for E directly in this case.

The 2nd part of the problem, finding the average energy, is giving me more trouble. The average energy should be:

[tex]\overline{E} = \int \limits_{0} ^ {\infty} E \chi (E) \ dE[/tex]

or

[tex]\overline{E} = 0.453 \int \limits_{0} ^ {\infty} E e^{-1.036E} \sinh(\sqrt{2.29E}) \ dE[/tex]

My problem is that I can't figure out how to integrate this equation. When I try to integrate by parts, any value I choose for u and dv yields another integral that needs to be integrated by parts, which yields another etc. Can anyone give me advice on how to solve this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You want to integrate something like:

[tex]\int_0^{\infty} x e^{-x} \sinh(2a \sqrt{x} ) dx[/tex]

Right? (the two is for later) So there will be two similar terms when you expand out the sinh. I'll only do one of them, but the other is basically the same (and I'll ignore constants that go out front):

[tex] \int_0^{\infty} x e^{-x} e^{2a \sqrt{x}} dx = \int_0^{\infty} x e^{-x+2a \sqrt{x}} dx[/tex]

Now use the substitution u2=x, 2udu = dx:

[tex]\begin{align*} \int_0^{\infty} u^3 e^{-u^2+2 a u} du &= e^{a^2} \int_0^{\infty} u^3 e^{-u^2+2 a u-a^2} du \\
&=e^{a^2} \int_0^{\infty} u^3 e^{-(u-a)^2} du \end{align*}
[/tex]

At this point you can make the substitution t=u-a and expand out the (t+a)3. The odd powers of t can be integrated exactly, but for the others you'll need to look up the error function if you don't know it already. There are no exact values for their integrals on this region (-a to infinity), but there are plenty of tables you can find aproximations in. And no, your first equation has no closed form solution.

Last edited:
StatusX:

Thanks, that's exactly what I needed. The odd values of t indeed appear easy enough to solve by making another substitution: [itex]s=t^2[/itex] I am having a bit of trouble with the even one, and I suspect it's my unfamiliarity with the error function. For example, with the integral of the form:

[tex]\int t^2 e^{-t^2}\ ds[/tex]

Given that the error function is defined as:

[tex]erf(z) = \frac{2}{\sqrt{\pi}} \int \limits_{0} ^ {z} e^{-t^2} \dt[/tex]

then

[tex]\int \limits_{0} ^ {z} e^{-t^2} \dt = \frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{2} erf(z)[/tex]

so integrating by parts, letting u=[itex]t^2[/itex] and dv = [itex]e^{-t^2} dt[/itex], I end up with:

[tex]\frac{\sqrt{\pi}*t^2}{2} erf(z) -2 \int t e^{-t^2} \dt [/tex]

I can solve the right half using the substitution [itex]s=t^2[/itex] which reduces to:

[tex]\frac{\sqrt{\pi}*t^2}{2} erf(z) + e^{-t^2}[/tex]

Does that look right?

Last edited:
The way you did it, there should be an erf inside the second integral. I think a better way to do it is to use [itex]u=t[/itex] [itex]dv=t e^{-t^2} dt[/itex], so that:

[tex]\int_0^{z} t^2 e^{-t^2} dt = -\frac{1}{2}z e^{-z^2}+\frac{1}{2}\int_0^{z} e^{-t^2} dt [/tex]

Last edited:
OK, that does it. Thanks for the help.

Related to Most probable and average value of a function

1. What is the difference between most probable and average value of a function?

Most probable value refers to the value of a function that is most likely to occur, while average value is the sum of all values divided by the number of values. In other words, most probable value is the peak or highest point on a graph, while average value is the center or balance point.

2. How are the most probable and average values of a function calculated?

The most probable value can be calculated by finding the peak or maximum of a function using calculus or by analyzing a graph. The average value can be calculated by finding the definite integral of the function divided by the interval over which it is being integrated.

3. Can the most probable and average values of a function be the same?

Yes, it is possible for the most probable value and the average value to be the same. This occurs when the function is symmetric and the peak or maximum is located at the center of the graph.

4. What factors can affect the most probable and average values of a function?

The shape and location of the function's graph can affect the most probable and average values. Additionally, the range and interval over which the function is being analyzed can also impact these values.

5. How can knowing the most probable and average values of a function be useful?

Knowing the most probable and average values of a function can help in making predictions and understanding the behavior of the function. It can also be used in optimization problems to find the most efficient or optimum value of the function.