Most Likes Page: @mfb Approaching 5000 Likes on Physics Forums

• Thread starter Charles Link
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around the "likes" page on the Physics Forums and specifically mentioned @mfb's approaching milestone of 5000 "likes". Some users expressed interest in watching the top 20 members on the page who have put in a lot of time and effort on the site. Others joked about the unfair advantage of being a cute puppy dog and how it may affect the number of "likes" received. The conversation also touched on the importance of the "likes" statistic and how it can be an indicator of the effort put into solving complex questions. Some users also shared their thoughts on a song referenced in the conversation. In summary, the conversation was a mix of congratulations, humor, and appreciation for the "likes" page
I think the new trophy should have been placed at 4400 likes ... :biggrin::rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
But then you wouldn't have anything to look forward to!
Greg Bernhardt said:
Now there is! :wink:
:)

Let me quote Queen:

That being said. It is most likely my next trophy ... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Greg Bernhardt said:
Now there is! :wink:
That's not fair: I need to come up with some 1,000+ stupid jokes on RT , while people like @mfb get off easy by posting amazing insights and explanations on high-level Physics (among others) :).

Last edited:
Likes DrClaude, phinds and Greg Bernhardt
There should be a trophy at 1,146. Just sayin'...

Likes Bystander
mfb said:
Congratulations!
The lounge is now full!
@jedishrfu now has 3000+ "likes. Congratulations! The "most likes" page is full, but hopefully there is still room in the President's Lounge for one more.

mfb said:
Greg opened the Sagan lounge (trophy list). @fresh_42 is close to it (4958, needs 5000).
I see @fresh_42 is currently just 3 short of 5000. And he has done it in less than 3 years. After 7 or 8 years, with any luck, I just might make it to the first (3000) lounge. :smile:

Charles Link said:
I see @fresh_42 is currently just 3 short of 5000. And he has done it in less than 3 years. After 7 or 8 years, with any luck, I just might make it to the first (3000) lounge. :smile:
Just do it at a better rate than Pujols, or you will be asked to change your Avatar ;-).

Likes Charles Link
Sorry if this is OT: @Charles Link : Do you think Boo-Jols is likely to drop below .300?

WWGD said:
Sorry if this is OT: @Charles Link : Do you think Boo-Jols is likely to drop below .300?
I am actually a Cubs fan=(Chicago is my hometown). Hopefully his number stays above .300. (I googled it=his lifetime batting average is currently .302).

Likes WWGD
Charles Link said:
If I am not completely off, likes have not been tracked for all those 7 to 8 years, so you get a bit of leeway there.

Orodruin said:
If I am not completely off, likes have not been tracked for all those 7 to 8 years, so you get a bit of leeway there.
I've been on the Physics Forums for almost 3 years, and "likes" have been tracked for my entire time. At my present rate, it's going to be somewhere around a total of 6 years to get to 3000. The @fresh_42 5000+ inside of 3 years is quite remarkable.:smile:

Likes jedishrfu
Right, I misread your post a bit.

I guess he just makes good posts.

Likes jedishrfu and Charles Link
Orodruin said:
Charles Link said:
I've been on the Physics Forums for almost 3 years, and "likes" have been tracked for my entire time
I remember "like" being introduced as "thanks". My earliest is September 27th 2013, so tracking starts from some time not too long before then for... errr... senior members.

Ibix said:
I remember "like" being introduced as "thanks". My earliest is September 27th 2013, so tracking starts from some time not too long before then for... errr... senior members.
Also, I think ”thanks” was used much less frequently as it has other connotations. Likes were introduced with the new software in the fall of 2014, which significantly increased the rate of use (you would hardly ever see anyone but OP give a ”thanks”, ”like” seems much more open to others).

Likes Ibix
Orodruin said:
Also, I think ”thanks” was used much less frequently as it has other connotations.
And yet, I remember WannabeNewton having infinity thanks.

Bandersnatch said:
And yet, I remember WannabeNewton having infinity thanks.
Infinity is not what it was ... :rolleyes:

Orodruin said:
Infinity is not what it was ... :rolleyes:
Was it an 8 sideways?

mfb said:
Congratulations @fresh_42!
Thanks. And thanks for honor that it was you who made me take the hurdle!

Speaking of milestones, @Drakkith is less than 200 posts away from 20k messages and dethroning me from the most points lead.

Orodruin said:
Speaking of @Drakkith ...
Nah, let's don't. The less said the better.:oldlaugh:

Likes Drakkith
Orodruin said:
Also, I think ”thanks” was used much less frequently as it has other connotations. Likes were introduced with the new software in the fall of 2014, which significantly increased the rate of use (you would hardly ever see anyone but OP give a ”thanks”, ”like” seems much more open to others).
How about our data analysts find a regression equation between (number of) likes and thanks? And with infinity inputs too, that should help ML algorithms work even better!

I don't think the "thanks" are still in the database, at least I haven't seen them as I wanted to clear the WannaBeNewton dispute above.

Edit: And don't suggest regression data. In the end they will find out that my likes are correlated to posts in which I was mistaken ...

I think thanks were converted into likes ... I may be misremembering.

Orodruin said:
I think thanks were converted into likes ... I may be misremembering.
Yes but only the count, any attributing data was lost.

I see that @sophiecentaur has now made it to the President's Lounge with 3000 "likes". Congratulations !

Likes sophiecentaur
Orodruin said:
Speaking of milestones, @Drakkith is less than 200 posts away from 20k messages and dethroning me from the most points lead.
@Drakkith is now just 22 messages away from being in first place in the most (trophy) points category. Meanwhile, I see @jedishrfu made an appearance the other day in the #20 spot of the most likes category, where he and @ZapperZ are very close, at around 3100.

Meanwhile, @PeterDonis is looking to join the 5k likes and 1k trophy points clubs simultaneously in about 90 likes time.

Likes Charles Link
Something tricky: Precise data in this thread is subject to change and inaccuracies [with no notice], as Greg occasionally removes some temporary threads (with the likes of course) ...

As far as I know the like counter doesn't change if a thread gets deleted.

mfb said:
As far as I know the like counter doesn't change if a thread gets deleted.
I've seen it. Likes sometimes reduce. Greg must know that.

Likes Charles Link