Most efficient cost for a cylinder

• Thread starter EricPowell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cylinder
In summary, the most efficient cost for a cylinder can be calculated using the formula 2πr<sup>2</sup> + 2πrh, where r is the radius of the base and h is the height of the cylinder. The height of a cylinder directly affects its cost efficiency, with taller cylinders costing more due to a larger surface area. The radius is also significant in determining cost efficiency, as a larger radius results in a higher cost. To minimize the cost of a cylinder, one can reduce the height or radius, use cheaper materials, or find a more cost-effective manufacturing method. Other factors that can affect cost efficiency include material type and quality, manufacturing process, and additional features or modifications. It is important to carefully
EricPowell

Homework Statement

An open-topped cylinder is to have a volume of 250 cm3. The material for the bottom of the pot costs 4 cents per cm2, and the material for the side of the pot costs 2 cents per cm2. What dimensions will minimize the total cost of this pot?

The Attempt at a Solution

$$
A_{bottom}=πr^2
\\
C_{bottom}=4(πr^2)
$$

$$
A_{side}=2πrh
\\
C_{side}=2(2πrh)
$$

$$
V=πr^2h
\\
250=πr^2h
\\
h=\frac {250}{πr^2}
\\
∴C_{side}=2(2πr\frac {250}{πr^2})
$$

$$
C_{total}=4(πr^2+2(2πr\frac {250}{πr^2})
\\
\frac {d(C_{total})}{d(r)}=8πr-\frac{1000}{πr^3}
$$

Then I tried to use the first derivative test. I am stuck.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Uhh I messed something up there with itex.

I really messed up the formatting in that first post so it kind of looks like a mess. Until I figure that out, perhaps someone could point me in the right direction to solving the question?

Okay I think I fixed all the formatting. Silly me.

NEVERMIND. I figured out my silly error. It's all good now. Can I delete this thread?

EricPowell said:
NEVERMIND. I figured out my silly error. It's all good now. Can I delete this thread?
We don't delete threads as a matter of course. Even though it's of no use to you now, others might find it helpful.

Related to Most efficient cost for a cylinder

1. What is the formula for calculating the most efficient cost for a cylinder?

The formula for calculating the most efficient cost for a cylinder is: 2πr2 + 2πrh, where r is the radius of the base and h is the height of the cylinder.

2. How does the height of a cylinder affect its cost efficiency?

The height of a cylinder has a direct impact on its cost efficiency. A taller cylinder will have a larger surface area, resulting in a higher cost. On the other hand, a shorter cylinder will have a smaller surface area and therefore a lower cost. This is why it is important to consider the height when calculating the most efficient cost for a cylinder.

3. What is the significance of the radius in determining the most efficient cost for a cylinder?

The radius of a cylinder's base plays a crucial role in calculating its cost efficiency. A larger radius will result in a larger surface area and therefore a higher cost. Conversely, a smaller radius will lead to a smaller surface area and a lower cost. It is important to find the right balance between the height and radius to determine the most efficient cost for a cylinder.

4. How can I minimize the cost of a cylinder?

To minimize the cost of a cylinder, you can try to reduce the height or radius. Additionally, using cheaper materials or finding a more cost-effective manufacturing method can also help to decrease the overall cost. It is important to find the right balance between cost and functionality when designing a cylinder.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the most efficient cost for a cylinder?

Aside from the height and radius, there are other factors that can impact the cost efficiency of a cylinder. These include the type and quality of materials used, the manufacturing process, and any additional features or modifications that may be required. It is important to carefully consider all of these factors when determining the most efficient cost for a cylinder.