Morin's "Special Relativity: For the Enthusiastic Beginner"

In summary, David Morin has released a new book titled "Special Relativity: For the Enthusiastic Beginner" which is expected to be of high quality like his previous books. The author's website offers a discount code for a limited time. Morin has also written other books such as "Introduction to Classical Mechanics", "Special Relativity for the Enthusiastic Beginner", and "Probability for the Enthusiastic Beginner". He has also revised Purcell's "Electricity and Magnetism 3rd Edition" and has a problem book for introductory physics titled "Problems and Solutions in Introductory Mechanics".
ibkev
I just came across this recently released title by David Morin, "Special Relativity: For the Enthusiastic Beginner". If its anything like Morin's past books, it'll be excellent for self studiers.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1542323517/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Joker93 and Demystifier
Physics news on Phys.org
I really like Morin's books. I'll have to add it to the pile.

Likes Demystifier
Doc Al said:
I really like Morin's books. I'll have to add it to the pile.
I know 3 his books:
Introduction to Classical Mechanics
Special Relativity for the Enthusiastic Beginner
Probability for the Enthusiastic Beginner

Are there any more?

Demystifier said:
I know 3 his books:
Introduction to Classical Mechanics
Special Relativity for the Enthusiastic Beginner
Probability for the Enthusiastic Beginner

Are there any more?
He has revised Purcell's classic text: Electricity and Magnetism 3rd Edition
And he has a problem book for intro physics: Problems and Solutions in Introductory Mechanics

That's all I know about.

Likes Demystifier

Related to Morin's "Special Relativity: For the Enthusiastic Beginner"

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory proposed by physicist Albert Einstein in 1905, which explains how objects move at high speeds and interact with each other. It is based on two principles: the principle of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and the principle of the constancy of the speed of light, which states that the speed of light in a vacuum is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion.

2. How does special relativity differ from classical mechanics?

Special relativity differs from classical mechanics in its treatment of space and time. In classical mechanics, space and time are considered absolute and separate entities. However, in special relativity, space and time are combined into a single entity known as spacetime, and their measurements are relative to the observer's frame of reference. Additionally, special relativity introduces the concept of time dilation and length contraction, which are not present in classical mechanics.

3. What is the significance of the speed of light in special relativity?

The speed of light plays a crucial role in special relativity because it is considered a fundamental constant and the maximum speed at which all objects in the universe can travel. According to special relativity, the speed of light is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. This concept has important implications for how we understand the nature of time, space, and motion.

4. Can special relativity be proven?

Special relativity has been extensively tested and has been shown to accurately describe the behavior of objects at high speeds. It has been confirmed through various experiments, such as the Michelson-Morley experiment and the famous E=mc^2 formula, which has been verified through nuclear reactions. However, like all scientific theories, it is possible that new evidence or experiments could lead to modifications or refinements of the theory in the future.

5. How is special relativity applied in modern technology?

Special relativity has numerous practical applications in modern technology. One example is the Global Positioning System (GPS), which relies on the principles of special relativity to accurately calculate positions and navigate. Other applications include particle accelerators, nuclear power plants, and the development of high-speed transportation methods such as bullet trains. Special relativity has also been used to explain and predict various phenomena in astrophysics, such as black holes and the expansion of the universe.