More Secret Prisons, More Torture

• News
  • Thread starter Art
  • Start date
In summary, Democrats in Congress have called for the White House to hand over two secret memos authorizing painful interrogation techniques that are still in force, despite the administration publicly renouncing them three years ago. The New York Times reported that the Justice Department issued these memos in 2005, and they may still authorize methods such as head-slapping and simulated drowning. The use of torture has caused outrage among Americans, with some calling for Bush's impeachment and others questioning the direction of the country. Some have compared the situation to that of Nazi Germany, and have condemned the lack of condemnation from other countries.
Art
One wonders just how many 'get out of jail free' cards Bush has. It seems once again his administration is showing a total contempt for congress.

Isn't it time this lunatic was impeached?

Secret US memos at centre of torture allegations
Denis Staunton in Washington

Fri, Oct 05, 2007

Democrats in Congress have called on the White House to hand over two secret memos that apparently still authorise painful interrogation techniques that the administration publicly renounced three years ago.

White House spokeswoman Dana Perino acknowledged that the justice department secretly issued two legal opinions on methods used to interrogate suspected terrorists but declined to say if the memos authorised practices such as head-slapping and simulated drowning.

"This country does not torture. It is a policy of the United States that we do not torture and we do not," she said.

The New York Times reported yesterday that in 2005, months after the administration declared that torture was "abhorrent" and as Congress was moving to ban some interrogation methods, the justice department issued secret memos authorising specific techniques.

The newspaper said authorisation is still in force and noted that the CIA this summer resumed interrogation of suspected terrorists in secret prisons outside the US, which had been suspended after action in Congress and the courts.
(cont'd)
http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/frontpage/2007/1005/1191439483455_pf.html

Physics news on Phys.org
as we all know Bush is just a comedian... he will not go to jail but Arkham Asylum :smile:

secret memos ...

I've had enough of this BS, IMPEACH NOW!

I think he and his gang of thugs should be up for war crimes.

Ivan Seeking said:
I think he and his gang of thugs should be up for war crimes.
A Republican president stole American arms from our arsenals and sold them to Iran (a clear case of treason) to get money to fund a private war in Nicaragua that Congress refused to allow. He has an airport named for him. A Democratic president had an affair with an aide, and was impeached. Bush will probably get a monument on the mall.

turbo-1 said:
A Republican president stole American arms from our arsenals and sold them to Iran (a clear case of treason) to get money to fund a private war in Nicaragua that Congress refused to allow. He has an airport named for him. A Democratic president had an affair with an aide, and was impeached. Bush will probably get a monument on the mall.

I think the problem with Reagan was Bush Sr. I doubt that Reagan knew anything about it until he froze on camera when given the question.

In any case, torture is a concern in a league of its own, and support for this among Americans literally sickens me and makes me embarrassed to be an American. Yesterday I watched some cold-hearted ***** from the department of Homeland Security defend the use of torture on CNN. I was waiting for her to sprout horns and a tail.

There are a few people - old friends and family - who are no longer welcome in my house because of this.

Last edited:
What the hell happened to this country? One attack and we turn into Nazis?

Diana West from the Washington Times was just defending the use of torture on Lou Dobbs. Interestingly, she specified that it is okay to use on "terrorism suspects". So, since not all suspects are guilty, by default, she is okay with torturing innocent people.

We have already moved past the "terrorist who knows where a nuclear bomb is planted" scenario, which until now was used as a red herring. In that event, btw, it is the duty of an officer to fall on his sword and do what is needed, so we already have this covered.

We are only one step from the logic of torturing murder suspects etc. And by default, this is one logical step from torturing innocent people - US citizens - on a daily basis.

I will add this and then have to get out of this before my head explodes: AFAIC, anyone who supports the use of torture is a coward, and a disgrace to everything that we have tried to be. This sort of activity is what used to DEFINE the enemy. So let's be clear: You are destroying America.

"What is the greatest threat facing us now? People will say it's terrorism. But are there any terrorists in the world who can change the American way of life or our political system? No... Only we can change ourselves. So what is the great threat we are facing?" - Colin Powell

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
What the hell happened to this country? One attack and we turn into Nazis?

this (situation) is potentially worse than the Nazi.

When the Nazi were doing their dirty stuffs, other countries (from the coalition of willing) at least condemned those behaviors. Now, not just none of these countries've condemned this madness, countries that do dare to comment run the risk of being branded as "extremists", "rogue states" or "anti-west".

kach22i said:
secret memos ...

I've had enough of this BS, IMPEACH NOW!
Huh? :confused: Secret memos can be used for the sake of evil, but they are also a necessary tool for the sake of good. If you are outraged over the contents of some secret memos, then direct your outrage at the contents. :tongue:

1. What are secret prisons and why are they used?

Secret prisons, also known as black sites, are covert detention facilities used by governments or intelligence agencies to hold and interrogate suspected terrorists or enemy combatants. They are used for security reasons to prevent sensitive information from being leaked to the public during investigations.

2. How do secret prisons differ from regular prisons?

Secret prisons differ from regular prisons in that their locations and existence are kept hidden from the public and often from international oversight organizations. In addition, the detainees in secret prisons are often held without charge or access to legal representation, making their detention and treatment highly controversial.

3. What is torture and how is it used in secret prisons?

Torture is the act of inflicting severe physical or psychological pain on a person in order to obtain information, punish, or intimidate them. In secret prisons, torture has been used as a means of interrogation to extract information from detainees, often resulting in severe physical and mental harm.

4. What are the ethical concerns surrounding secret prisons and torture?

The use of secret prisons and torture raises significant ethical concerns, including the violation of human rights, the lack of legal oversight and due process, and the potential for false confessions. It also goes against international laws and conventions, such as the United Nations Convention against Torture.

5. Are secret prisons and torture effective in obtaining information?

The effectiveness of secret prisons and torture in obtaining information is highly debated. While some argue that it can provide valuable intelligence, others argue that the information obtained through torture is often unreliable and can lead to false information. Furthermore, the use of torture can damage a country's reputation and relationships with other nations.