More Pre-Clovis evidence in America

• Thread starter Andre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Evidence
In summary, archeologists and antropologists have fiercely debated the peopling of America, with some advocating for the Clovis-first model. However, recent evidence, such as a mastodon bone projectile point dating back to 13,800 years ago, suggests that humans were present in the Americas earlier than previously thought. This is based on a conversion of 14C years to calendar years, and has led to a shift away from the Clovis-first model in the archaeological community.
Andre
For some reason, incomprehensable to me, archeologists and antropologists have fought flaming wars about the peopling of America. Maybe that has to do with my new signature.

Anyway, the clovis first protagonists may have some work to do after http://www.sciencemag.org/content/334/6054/351.abstract:

The tip of a projectile point made of mastodon bone is embedded in a rib of a single disarticulated mastodon at the Manis site in the state of Washington. Radiocarbon dating and DNA analysis show that the rib is associated with the other remains and dates to 13,800 years ago...

I wish to know if that date 13.8 Ky is 14C years or calendar years. But I guess I'll find out soon.

Thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Update, yes, After getting the article, the date is based on an average of 4 carbon dates of 11,960 +/- 17 years 14C B.P. which is converted to 13,860 - 13,763 calendar yr B.P.

here is a "biased" subjective coverage of the article.

How about this conclusion and my new signature:

"You know, the Clovis-first model has been dying for some time," he finished. "But there's nothing harder to change than a paradigm, than long-standing thinking. When Clovis-First was first proposed, it was a very elegant model but it's time to move on, and most of the archaeological community is doing just that."

Related to More Pre-Clovis evidence in America

1. What is Pre-Clovis evidence and why is it significant?

Pre-Clovis evidence refers to archaeological artifacts and remains that date back before the time period of the Clovis culture, which is known for producing distinct stone tools. This evidence is significant because it challenges the traditional theory that the Clovis people were the first inhabitants of the Americas.

2. Where has the new Pre-Clovis evidence been found?

New Pre-Clovis evidence has been found in various locations throughout North and South America, including Mexico, Chile, and the East Coast of the United States.

3. How has the discovery of more Pre-Clovis evidence changed our understanding of early human migration to the Americas?

The discovery of more Pre-Clovis evidence suggests that humans may have arrived in the Americas earlier than previously thought, and that there may have been multiple waves of migration instead of a single one. This challenges the long-held belief that the Clovis people were the first and only group to settle in the Americas.

4. What types of evidence have been found to support the existence of a Pre-Clovis culture?

Some evidence that has been found includes stone tools, bones of extinct animals, and plant remains. These artifacts have been dated using advanced techniques such as radiocarbon dating and DNA analysis.

5. What further research is needed to fully understand the Pre-Clovis culture?

Further research is needed to determine the exact time periods and routes of human migration to the Americas, as well as the cultural and technological developments of the Pre-Clovis people. This may involve more excavations and analysis of artifacts, as well as collaboration between scientists from various disciplines.