More Math Courses vs a potential lower GPA

In summary, if you are considering going to a different university for your graduate studies, and want to impress them with your math skills, you should aim to take more math courses and have an impressive GPA.
sutupidmath
Hi,

Right now i am on my fourth semester (sophomore) studying Mathematics at a rather small University. The math department here is not that rich couse-wise. In other words there are not a whole lot of Math courses one could take here. From the upper level math courses the only ones that they offer here are:

Intro to Real Analysis (first part: starting with basic concepts on sets, field of R, sequences, functions, continuity, an elementary topology of sets, and up to differentiation),
Abstract Algebra,
Linear Algebra,
Intro to Topology,
Foundations of Applied Math
Probability and Statistics.
(And i am also planning to do independent study in at least 2 more upper divison math courses)

Because of this, i am planning to go on an exchange program for a semester to Canada (next Fall). I was planning to take up to 4 upper division math courses in there. But, i fret that if i do so i might end up not having a rather impressive GPA. For what's worth, the gpa that i will get there will not be counted towards the overall gpa that i will be having here at my current university.

The courses that i am thinking of taking(depending at which university i will end up going) will roughly be:
Real Analysis
Approximation of functions by algebraic and trigonometric polynomials (Taylor and Fourier series); Weierstrass approximation theorem; Riemann integral of functions on Rn, the Riemann-Stieltjes integral on R; improper integrals; Fourier transforms.
Linear Algebra II
Finite dimensional real vector spaces and inner product spaces; matrix and linear transformation; eigenvalues and eigenvectors; the characteristic equation and roots of polynomials; diagonalization; complex vector spaces and inner product spaces; selected applications; use of a computer algebra system and selected applications.
Euclidean and Non-Euclidean Geometry I
Abstract Algebra
Further topics in group theory: normal subgroups and factor groups, homomorphisms and isomorphism theorems, structure of finite abelian groups. Rings and ideals; polynomial rings; quotient rings. Division rings and fields; field extensions; finite fields; constructability.
Complex Analysis

Or some slight variations of those

So my question is, for grad school, which would weight more: having less courses in math and an impressive gpa, or more courses and not so impressive? ( with impressive i mean 3.9 or 4.0, and not so impressive i mean a 3.0 only during that semester)

Regards!

Physics news on Phys.org
Which do you think indicates you've learned more? That's what they will be most impressed by.

Vanadium 50 said:
Which do you think indicates you've learned more? That's what they will be most impressed by.

Well certainly getting more math courses in a semester is an indication that i will have learned a broader range of math topics, but i wouldn't know what to say about the depth of it!
I think having such a load, would prevent one(the average student) from going deeper in each topic, because one would need to kind of rush in order to keep up with all of them, wheras if you have only say 2 or at max 3 upper division courses, than you can kind of set your own pace and allot more time to study a particular topic!

What would your thoughts be pertaining to this issue?

From reading Krantz's survival guide for maths majors in the US, if you take also graduate courses and ace them then that will impress them more than taking more UG courses.
The courses you listed as far as I can tell, from the short description, are still UG courses.

sutupidmath said:
Well certainly getting more math courses in a semester is an indication that i will have learned a broader range of math topics, but i wouldn't know what to say about the depth of it!

That depends on if you get a A or B in the extra course or a C or D.

Vanadium 50 said:
That depends on if you get a A or B in the extra course or a C or D.

Well, this is something that i cannot know for sure, especially since i am not familiar with the way these math courses will be taught at the university i am planning to go and also don't know how hard the professors will be on grading.
However, if the above mentioned issues are somewhat compareable to the ones at the university i am currently at, then i don't think i would fall below a B (now i have A's in all my courses).

Regards!

Related to More Math Courses vs a potential lower GPA

What is the relationship between taking more math courses and having a lower GPA?

The relationship between taking more math courses and having a lower GPA is dependent on various factors such as the individual's level of interest and aptitude in math, the level of difficulty of the math courses, and the individual's study habits and time management skills. It is not a guarantee that taking more math courses will result in a lower GPA.

Will taking more math courses improve my GPA?

Taking more math courses can potentially improve your GPA if you have a strong interest and aptitude in math, and are able to manage your time effectively to study and understand the material. However, if math is not your strong suit and you struggle with the courses, it may have a negative impact on your GPA.

Can taking more math courses be beneficial for my academic and career goals?

Taking more math courses can be beneficial for academic and career goals in certain fields such as mathematics, science, engineering, and finance. These fields often require a strong understanding of math and taking more math courses can provide a solid foundation for further studies and career opportunities. However, if your academic and career goals do not require a strong background in math, taking more math courses may not be as beneficial.

How can I balance taking more math courses with maintaining a high GPA?

Balancing taking more math courses with maintaining a high GPA requires effective time management and study skills. It is important to prioritize your coursework and allocate enough time to study and understand the material. Seeking help from professors or tutors can also be beneficial in maintaining a high GPA while taking more math courses.

What other factors besides math courses can affect my GPA?

There are various factors that can affect your GPA besides math courses, such as the difficulty of your courses, your study habits and time management skills, your overall course load, and any personal or external factors that may impact your academic performance. It is important to consider all of these factors when trying to maintain a high GPA.