More help for size of optical cable

In summary, The speaker is seeking information on how to decide on the type of fiber cable to use for their project. They are concerned about bandwidth and the number of sensors and limit switches they will need to accommodate. They also ask if analog signals can be fed into a PLC after being converted to digital, and if using optical fiber will be feasible and cost-effective for their project. They are also looking for resources for the cost of cable and its parts for their project. The expert suggests using a single directional RS232 output into a plastic fiber, which can be easily replaced for $5, or using fancy RS232 to single-mode fiber for $150-200 from the usual PLC makers. They also suggest connecting all the inputs to a single micro and
sugandh
One more question ,is there how can i decide for my fibre cable type, how can i check the bandwith . normally how can i know the sensors (proximity,capacitive,etc.) bitspersecond of sensors and limit switches,so that it will fit the desired optical cable bandwith.
i am in a confusion whther 28-30 input sensors and limit switches will require how many plastic claded silica fibre or POF.
and 2nd can analog signal be feed into plc input after converting it to digital.(eg.potentiometer signal)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Over short lengths the bandwidth of your optical fibre is essentially unlimited, it will depend on the tx/rx on each end.
Upto a few m plastic fibre will handle Gb/s with simple modulation.

thanks very much
but still for future expansion i will have to think on this prospect,if no. of input devices increase with any added specifications at that time i will have to change my whole cable,so thinking that point of view i asked for the bits per second for the selection of fibre cable.
coz the machine with full specifications also exist and with standard specifications also exist wihch results to increase in devices.

and if u can tell about the second question i asked for.
can analog signal be feed into plc input after converting it to digital.(eg.potentiometer signal)

Until you get to long enough lengths to worry about dispersion, or you need to put terabytes/sec down the fibre with DWDM.
If you have a sinlge fibre point-point then all the data sources are digitized and then combined with some sort of protocol that specifies which source each packet of data is from.
The potentiometer would be digitised by an Analog Digital Converter (ADC) then be sent along the fibre as a digital signal,
You will need some sort of cpu to do this, take a look at arduino.

ok thanks a lot
i got the idea but i will just want to clearify to u what i am thinking of,
i want to use optical fibre (plastic or plastic claded silica fibre cable) in my machines having 4 parts each parts consist of 20-30 input devices (sensors,LS,potentiometers)taking this to plc and then from plc to motors output.
there is lots of copper cable wiring ,including junction boxes,housings,cable ties,marktubes,time consuming termination and relays.distance of cables will be approx. 4m to max 20m .
i want to reduce time of working using optical fibre if all signals from input devices will be one signal, multiplexing it and transferring it to plc and again convering these to operate plc.so will it be feasible coz i have to also chk that the cost is reduced from old design and not a single penny is increased. i am afraid that the electronics required will be expensive like the connectors for conversion of signal.and the cost of cable i am not able to get anyehere.
machine is too expensive about 250,000 usd to 400,000 usd and manufacturing units are many in a year.
will it be feasible?can u suggest me site where i can get the cost of cable and its parts for this project?

Something like this could be easily used to replace a single directional rs232 output into a plastic fibre for $5 (you need the coresponding LED at the other end - http://ca.digikey.com/1/1/66628-photodiode-fiber-optic-plastic-if-d91.html)

You can also get fancy RS232 to single mode fibre for $150-200 from the usual PLC makers.

If you have lots of inputs it might be easier to connect them all to a single micro and then have a single rs232 link over fibre to the main system

Related to More help for size of optical cable

1. What is the importance of the size of an optical cable?

The size of an optical cable is important because it directly affects the amount of data that can be transmitted through the cable. A larger cable diameter allows for more fibers to be included, which increases the amount of data that can be transmitted. This can be crucial for high-speed and high-bandwidth applications, such as internet and telecommunications.

2. How does the size of an optical cable impact signal quality?

The size of an optical cable can impact signal quality in a few ways. First, a larger cable diameter allows for more fibers to be included, which can reduce signal loss and improve overall signal quality. Additionally, a larger cable can also provide better protection against external factors, such as physical damage or electromagnetic interference, which can also impact signal quality.

3. Are there different sizes of optical cables available?

Yes, there are different sizes of optical cables available, ranging from small, single fiber cables to large, multi-fiber cables. The size of the cable will depend on the specific application and the amount of data that needs to be transmitted. It is important to choose the right size of cable to ensure optimal performance and reliability.

4. How do you determine the appropriate size of optical cable for a specific application?

The appropriate size of optical cable for a specific application will depend on several factors, such as the required data capacity, the distance the cable needs to cover, and the environmental conditions it will be exposed to. It is important to consult with a professional to determine the best size for your specific needs.

5. What materials are used to make optical cables and how does that impact their size?

Optical cables are typically made from glass fibers or plastic fibers. Glass fibers are thinner and can carry more data, but are also more fragile and require more protection. Plastic fibers are thicker and less fragile, but can carry less data. The choice of material will impact the size of the cable and should be carefully considered based on the specific application needs.