Electronics required for transmission of signals in fibre

In summary: Additionally, you may need to consult with experts in networking and power electronics to ensure the success of your project. Good luck with your research!
sugandh
HI ALL
Well i want to know the power electronics required to transmit signals for sensors,limit switches ,push buttons up to PLC, and if analog device signals like potentiometer could be transmit tted with these ,how can i do this .
i am using Plastic Optical Fibre and please help me with the basic things to the complicated ones Bragg grating or isolators are required for these?? can i use couplers to insert one POF signal into another , what will be the bandwith criteria.is there any issues with discrete signals like sensors and push buttons with bandwith selection for cables.?
and do i have to address signals from transmitting end to receiving end or the Tx and Rx will do the neccesary things if i am using DWDM.

Engineering news on Phys.org
help please ......if anyone is not able to understand the job i want to do please ask me again. i will clear your questiions that what i want to do with POF.

Your question is just too broad there is no way we can give you the information you need in this format. I suggest that you break the problem up, perhaps read up on the PLC you are using. We help best with specific questions. Good luck.

Help neede to transmit sensor signals in optical fibre

how can i transmit the sensor signals ( inductive,proximity etc.) thru optical fibre ,
i want to know the power electronics use in this.

sugandh said:
how can i transmit the sensor signals ( inductive,proximity etc.) thru optical fibre ,
i want to know the power electronics use in this.

Here's an introduction:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiberoptics

Let us know if you have specific questions in that reference.

berkeman said:
Here's an introduction:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiberoptics

Let us know if you have specific questions in that reference.

well this is all about optical fibre,i want to try out transmitting sensors and limit switches signals thru Plastic optical fibre,cable is rather cheap than copper as the no. of devices are large ,but the electronics behind it is a liitle confusing with new technologies emerging.
i want to know the electronic circuitry needed to do this,
i am attaching a word file with image drawn by me on CAD please check if i will require more than this.
is it complete ? please help .!

Attachments

• VERMA_OPTICAL_11.doc
    72 KB · Views: 198

sugandh said:
well this is all about optical fibre,i want to try out transmitting sensors and limit switches signals thru Plastic optical fibre,cable is rather cheap than copper as the no. of devices are large ,but the electronics behind it is a liitle confusing with new technologies emerging.
i want to know the electronic circuitry needed to do this,
i am attaching a word file with image drawn by me on CAD please check if i will require more than this.
is it complete ? please help .!

Something like that can work, but I don't think you'd use different wavelengths of light in the fiber to multiplex the signals. What bandwidth (BW) do you need for each signal? You should be able to just digitize the signals and send the combined/encoded digital data through your single fiber, assuming your data BW requirement per signal is not too high.

berkeman said:
Something like that can work, but I don't think you'd use different wavelengths of light in the fiber to multiplex the signals. What bandwidth (BW) do you need for each signal? You should be able to just digitize the signals and send the combined/encoded digital data through your single fiber, assuming your data BW requirement per signal is not too high.

yes actually i am also not getting any specification for the sensors in bits per second for normal proximity or capacitive sensors or limit switches,but i assume that it will be around 16~50 bits /sec. and all goes to plc .thats why for replacing the junction boxes and the copper cables i am using POF which is cheap.
but shouldn't i have to multiplex the incoming signals? coz number of devices in each part u can say will be around 30~50 and total will be 120 devices over all. so can you please get me to some details how can i think for my power electronics.
what all will i have to use. coz this is a reasearch but may be if it will become successful we will plan for mass production
thanku

sugandh said:
yes actually i am also not getting any specification for the sensors in bits per second for normal proximity or capacitive sensors or limit switches,but i assume that it will be around 16~50 bits /sec. and all goes to plc .thats why for replacing the junction boxes and the copper cables i am using POF which is cheap.
but shouldn't i have to multiplex the incoming signals? coz number of devices in each part u can say will be around 30~50 and total will be 120 devices over all. so can you please get me to some details how can i think for my power electronics.
what all will i have to use. coz this is a reasearch but may be if it will become successful we will plan for mass production
thanku

Your sensors sound like they are all low bandwidth, so you need to think about how you can combine all of their digital data into a frame of data, and design the frame structure and the number of frames per second that you want to send. It's a common networking design task. Take a look at CAN or other industrial automation network designs for more ideas.

sugandh said:
thanku
Hello Sugandh,
Wavelength Division Multiplexing is a technique normally utilised by really high-bandwidth systems, where the individual wavelengths typically each carry up to tens of GB/s each. This type of multiplex would normally by carried on low-loss mono-mode glass fibres. The gratings etc. needed to assemble the multiplex would be compatible with this type of fibre.

The type of application you are describing with modest telemetry bandwidths over plastic fibre should only require time-division multiplexing using a single wavelength.

Adjuster said:
Hello Sugandh,
Wavelength Division Multiplexing is a technique normally utilised by really high-bandwidth systems, where the individual wavelengths typically each carry up to tens of GB/s each. This type of multiplex would normally by carried on low-loss mono-mode glass fibres. The gratings etc. needed to assemble the multiplex would be compatible with this type of fibre.

The type of application you are describing with modest telemetry bandwidths over plastic fibre should only require time-division multiplexing using a single wavelength.

thanks very much ,but can TDM be sufficient for the No. of devices i want to connect(still all will not operate at same time.)
But that`s the problem how can i calculate for my system and cables if i don't know the bandwith of my devices, is there any list where i can get the spec of sensors in bps.i am not getting googling it .can you help out with the power electronics, coz i am afraid of its cost,whther all trancivers and photodiodes,mux and demux would be sufficient for my data transmission or there will be a scary electronics with it.
again i am attaching a doc. ,if you can tell me about that module that what all will be required for it.
the field devices are sensors,push buttons, limit witches etc. and connecting to a connector from there taking to a module which should be compact in structure with all electronics to enter in POF and entering in main panel converting it and inputting those signals in PLC.
thanks for you help in advance.

Attachments

• SKETCH.doc
    64 KB · Views: 237

Related to Electronics required for transmission of signals in fibre

1. What is the purpose of electronics in transmitting signals through fiber optics?

The purpose of electronics in fiber optic transmission is to convert the electrical signals from a source, such as a computer or phone, into light signals that can travel through the fiber optic cable. These electronic components also amplify and regulate the signals to ensure efficient transmission and reception.

2. What are some common electronic components used in fiber optic transmission?

Some common electronic components used in fiber optic transmission include transmitters, receivers, amplifiers, and repeaters. Transmitters convert electrical signals into light signals, receivers convert light signals back into electrical signals, amplifiers boost the strength of the signals, and repeaters regenerate and amplify the signals along the fiber optic cable.

3. How do electronics impact the speed and quality of fiber optic transmission?

Electronics play a crucial role in the speed and quality of fiber optic transmission. They ensure that the signals are properly converted, amplified, and regulated, which allows for faster and more reliable transmission. Without proper electronics, the speed and quality of fiber optic transmission would be significantly reduced.

4. Can different types of electronics affect the performance of fiber optic transmission?

Yes, different types of electronics can affect the performance of fiber optic transmission. The quality and capabilities of electronic components can vary, which can impact the speed, reliability, and overall performance of the fiber optic transmission system. It is important to use high-quality and compatible electronics for optimal performance.

5. What advancements have been made in electronics for fiber optic transmission in recent years?

In recent years, there have been significant advancements in electronics for fiber optic transmission. These include the development of more efficient and compact transmitters and receivers, as well as the use of new technologies such as coherent detection and digital signal processing. These advancements have greatly improved the speed, reliability, and performance of fiber optic transmission systems.