Moral America, where do we go from here?

• News
  • Thread starter Kerrie
  • Start date
In summary, America is currently facing a conflict between morals and freedom on various controversial issues such as gay marriage, cloning, stem cell research, evolution in schools, the pledge of allegiance, abortion, legalization of marijuana, prostitution, and censorship of art. The question of where to draw the line and if there is a happy medium for all is being debated. The country's original foundation of freedom of beliefs has been challenged by the changing pace of society. Some argue that a moral code is necessary for society to thrive, while others believe that individuals should have the freedom to make their own choices. Additionally, there is a struggle between religion and government, as some believe that religious beliefs should dictate laws and others advocate for a separation of church and state.
Originally posted by LURCH
Got you rolls reversed here, I think. Political correctness is the whine of the liberal; almost exclusively.

I disagree. Political correctness is what republicans stick to so they don't say something overtly racist, sexist, etc. Not that the occassional freudian slip doesn't get out.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Zero
Be fair...creationism isn't quite as bad as holocaust denial. However, neither subject deserves serious study in America's schools.

I disagree. The motives are somewhat different (although you'll often find the same people advocating both), if you judge each belief based on fact they're quite comparably from an intellectual standpoint.