Monthly Physics Competition Questionnaire

In summary, each month a question is asked and the winner receives a free book. This month's prize is "Philosophiae Naturalis Principia Mathematica" and the question is why objects held above the ground fall towards the Earth. Many incorrect answers were given, but the correct answer is that both objects exert gravitational forces on each other and if the person holding the object does not provide an equal and opposite force, both objects will fall towards each other. The Earth's large mass makes it seem like only the object is falling, but in reality both objects are moving towards each other. This explanation was deemed satisfactory by the host of the competition.
Viru.universe said:
but I know physics only upto Newtonian level, so I explained on the basis of the knowledge which I have at the moment

But you can't use Newtonian physics since that's the prize he's giving away!

Physics news on Phys.org
micromass said:
But you can't use Newtonian physics since that's the prize he's giving away!

well then I guess I'll try after a couple of years after learning some new stuff

Everyone broke the rules, so no one gets the prize. I think I'll buy the book anyway and use it as a doorstop or something.

AnTiFreeze3 said:
Everyone broke the rules, so no one gets the prize. I think I'll buy the book anyway and use it as a doorstop or something.
I happen to have a copy that I inherited from my uncle, zoobyinsole, when he passed away 85 years ago. Your doorstop idea is about the best use for it. A quick read through revealed the plot is beyond soporific, the characters are completely 2 dimensional, and the illustrations are like some sort of proto-cubism, all geometric and abstract. There's a lot of talk about the attraction of this body for that body, but none of the romances ever goes anywhere. It's no wonder it has never been made into a movie.

Incidentally, he says the bodies are attracted by the mysterious power of hypothesis non fingere. I think that's some sort of achemist's love potion, but I'm not sure.

Likes 1 person