Monotony of composite functions

In summary, if h is a monotone increasing function and h is not monotone, then h(h) will be monotone. If h is a monotone function and h is not continuous, then h(h) may not be monotone.
anachin6000
So, it is known and easy to prove that if you have f : D -> G and g : G -> B then
-if both f and g have the same monotony => fοg is increasing
-if f and g have different monotony => fοg is decreasing
But the reciprocal of this is not always true (easy to prove with a contradicting example).
Though, it came to my mind that, if we have a function h : D -> D, a kind of of reciprocal might be valid for hοh.
I think that if hοh is monotonic it results that h is either decreasing or increasing, but I am not sure if it is true or not, neither how to prove or disprove it. This is actually my question, is it true and how you prove that?

Physics news on Phys.org
anachin6000 said:
So, it is known and easy to prove that if you have f : D -> G and g : G -> B then
-if both f and g have the same monotony => fοg is increasing
-if f and g have different monotony => fοg is decreasing
But the reciprocal of this is not always true (easy to prove with a contradicting example).
Though, it came to my mind that, if we have a function h : D -> D, a kind of of reciprocal might be valid for hοh.
I think that if hοh is monotonic it results that h is either decreasing or increasing, but I am not sure if it is true or not, neither how to prove or disprove it. This is actually my question, is it true and how you prove that?
Consider h, a real, not identically zero, smooth function with support in [3,4] and |h(x)|≤1 for all x ∈ ℝ.

Likes anachin6000
This being said, if you add the condition that h is continuously differentiable, I think you can prove that if hοh is a monotone function while h is not, then hοh must be constant.

EDIT: continuity of h may well be sufficient.

EDIT2: no, not true, sorry.

Counter example:
Define h as follows:
for x≤0, f(x)=-x²
for x≥0, f(x)=g(x) where g is a non constant smooth function with support in [3,4] and range in [0,1].

Then, for x≤0, hoh(x)=h(-x²)=-x4.
For x>0, hoh(x)=h(h(x))=0.

Last edited:
Likes anachin6000
Start with r1<r2 and track it through. I think that you will find that h monotonic => h(h) monotonic increasing.

But h(h) being monotonic implies nothing about monotonicity of h. Consider the function h(r) = r if r is rational; h(r)=-r otherwise.

FactChecker said:
Start with r1<r2 and track it through. I think that you will find that h monotonic => h(h) monotonic increasing.

But h(h) being monotonic implies nothing about monotonicity of h. Consider the function h(r) = r if r is rational; h(r)=-r otherwise.
Correct. If h is not continous, then h(h) being monotone implies nothing about monotonicity of h.

Although that was not what the OP asked for, I wondered about what happens if h is continuous.
As shown in posts #2 and #3, then also h(h) can be monotone without h being monotone. But the following seems true for continuous h:
On intervals where h(h) is strictly monotone, h will also be strictly monotone.

Proof (tentative):
Let's assume, wlog, that f=h(h) is a monotone increasing function.

1) Let's note that an injective continuous function on an interval is strictly monotone.

2) Let [a,b] be an interval in ℝ where f is strictly increasing.
For x,y ∈ [a,b], x≠y, h(x)≠h(y), for else f(x)=f(y), and f would be constant on [x,y]. It follows from 1) that h is strictly monotone on [a,b].

3) Now let's assume that we have an interval [a,b] where f is strictly increasing, and let's fix (again wlog) on the case where h is also strictly increasing on [a,b].
Take any c>b. If h(c)<h(b), the intermediate value theorem implies that there exist an x<b and an y>b such that h(x)=h(y). But then f would be constant on [x,y], contradicting the hypothesis that f is strictly increasing in [a,b].
Hence, ∀c>b, h(c)≥h(b).

4) Let [c,d] be another interval where f is strictly increasing, with c>b.
From 2) we know that h will be strictly monotone on [c,d]. From 3) we know that h(c)≥h(b), h(d)≥h(b).
If h were strictly decreasing on [c,d], h(c)>h(d)≥h(b). The intermediate value theorem then implies that ∃x ∈ [b,c[ satisfying h(x)=h(d).
That makes f constant on [x,d], a contradiction with f being strictly increasing on [c,d].
Hence h is also strictly increasing on [c,d].

Probably this proof can be made shorter. :oldsmile:

Last edited:
Likes FactChecker and anachin6000

Related to Monotony of composite functions

1. What is the monotony of a composite function?

The monotony of a composite function refers to the direction and consistency of change in the output values as the input values change. It is determined by the monotony of the individual functions that make up the composite function.

2. How is the monotony of a composite function affected by the monotony of its components?

The monotony of a composite function is affected by the monotony of its components in the sense that the overall monotony is determined by the monotony of the individual functions. For example, if one function is strictly increasing and the other is strictly decreasing, the composite function will have alternating monotony.

3. Can a composite function have multiple monotony?

Yes, a composite function can have multiple monotony depending on the monotony of its components. For example, if both functions are strictly increasing, the composite function will also be strictly increasing. However, if one function is strictly increasing and the other is constant, the composite function will have intervals of monotony and intervals of constancy.

4. How can the monotony of a composite function be determined?

The monotony of a composite function can be determined by analyzing the monotony of each individual function and then combining them using the rules for monotony of composite functions. These rules state that if both functions are increasing or both are decreasing, the composite function will have the same monotony. If one function is increasing and the other is decreasing, the composite function will have alternating monotony.

5. Why is understanding the monotony of composite functions important?

Understanding the monotony of composite functions is important because it helps us to analyze and interpret the behavior of complex functions. It allows us to make predictions about the direction and consistency of change in the output values based on the input values. This knowledge is useful in many fields of science, including mathematics, physics, and economics.