Monomorphism cancellation property

• Thread starter tom.coyne
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Property
In summary: Rightarrow \; g \simeq h if and only if f_*:\pi_k(X) \rightarrow \pi_k(Y) is injective for all k.In summary, if you have a monomorphism f:X\rightarrow Y and want to ensure that g \simeq h for any arrows g,h:A \rightarrow X, then you need to have f_*:\pi_k(X) \rightarrow \pi_k(Y) be injective for all k.
tom.coyne
Hi, I know that if I have a monomorphism [itex]f:X\rightarrow Y [/itex] then for any arrows [itex]g,h:A \rightarrow X[/itex] we have [itex]f \circ g = f \circ h \; \Rightarrow \; g=h [/itex]

However in a topological space, if I have [itex]f[/itex] to be an injection but now have [itex]f \circ g \simeq f \circ h[/itex] (where [itex]\simeq[/itex] denotes homotopic) then does this imply that [itex]g \simeq h[/itex]?

So my question is, is this true? If not what conditions would I require to make it true?

Thanks,
Tom

Physics news on Phys.org
tom.coyne said:
Hi, I know that if I have a monomorphism [itex]f:X\rightarrow Y [/itex] then for any arrows [itex]g,h:A \rightarrow X[/itex] we have [itex]f \circ g = f \circ h \; \Rightarrow \; g=h [/itex]

However in a topological space, if I have [itex]f[/itex] to be an injection but now have [itex]f \circ g \simeq f \circ h[/itex] (where [itex]\simeq[/itex] denotes homotopic) then does this imply that [itex]g \simeq h[/itex]?

So my question is, is this true? If not what conditions would I require to make it true?

Thanks,
Tom

if f is continuous with a continuous inverse, then you will have that g and h are homotopic to each other. ( apply f^-1 to the homotopy family )

So if [itex]f[/itex] is a split monomorphism then this works. What about when its not a split monomorphism? Can you think of any counter examples?

aren't any two maps to a contractible space homotopic? does that suggest a counterexample?

Ok, so if [itex]f[/itex] is an injection into a contractible space [itex]Y[/itex] then if [itex]g \not\simeq h[/itex] then we would still have [itex]f \circ g \simeq f \circ h[/itex].

Thanks!

so what kind of map would be a "homotopy monomorphism"? what if it were injective on homotopy groups? (and you were working with nice spaces, like simplicial complexes.)

start by proving this is necessary.

Last edited:
If [itex]f\circ g \simeq f \circ h \; \Rightarrow \; g \simeq h[/itex] then [itex]f_*\circ g_* = f_* \circ h_* \; \Rightarrow \; g_* = h_*[/itex] hence [itex]f_*[/itex] is injective.

If [itex]f[/itex] is a map such that [itex]f_*[/itex] is monic for all homotopy groups, then if we have [itex]f \circ g \simeq f \circ h[/itex] then this implies that [itex]f_* \circ g_* = f_* \circ h_*[/itex] hence [itex]g_*=h_*[/itex] for all homotopy groups. Now I am getting a bit stuck... I know that [itex]g_*=h_*[/itex] does not imply that [itex]g \simeq h[/itex]. But I can't think of an example where [itex]g \not\simeq h[/itex] and [itex]f \circ g \simeq f \circ h[/itex]. Am I going down the right lines here?

I don't follow your argument. homotopy group elements are represented by maps g,h, so injectivity seems to say that fg ≈ fh implies g ≈ h, which is the hypothesis restricted to maps g,h, of spheres.

as to the other direction, have you heard of whitehead's theorem? or is it Hurewicz' theorem? that two maps are homotopic on CW complexes iff they induce the same maps on homotopy groups. better check that, it has been over 40 years since i took homotopy theory.

...well i seem to be overstating whitehead's theorem, but maybe it can be strengthened.

I thought about trying to use Whitehead's Theorem. But it states that if a map between CW complexes induces isomorphism on all homotopy groups then it is a homotopy equivalence. I wasn't sure how to use this though.

Also, I am not sure I totally understood your previous answer. Were you suggesting that a way to get a cancellation property might be to try:

if [itex]f:X \rightarrow Y[/itex] is a map such that [itex]f_*:\pi_k(X) \rightarrow \pi_k(Y)[/itex] is injective for all [itex]k[/itex] then [itex]f\circ g \simeq f \circ h \; \Rightarrow \; g \simeq h[/itex]??

Or did I misunderstand your response?
Thanks for your continued help!

no, the converse.

Related to Monomorphism cancellation property

1. What is the Monomorphism Cancellation Property?

The Monomorphism Cancellation Property is a concept in abstract algebra that states that if a function is both injective (one-to-one) and surjective (onto), then it is also bijective (one-to-one correspondence). This means that if two sets have the same cardinality (number of elements), then there exists a bijective function that maps one set onto the other.

2. Why is the Monomorphism Cancellation Property important?

The Monomorphism Cancellation Property is important because it allows us to prove that two sets have the same cardinality without having to explicitly construct a bijective function between them. This can greatly simplify proofs and calculations in abstract algebra and other branches of mathematics.

3. How is the Monomorphism Cancellation Property related to other properties?

The Monomorphism Cancellation Property is closely related to other properties such as injectivity, surjectivity, and bijectivity. It is also related to the concept of isomorphism, which is a bijective homomorphism between two algebraic structures.

4. Is the Monomorphism Cancellation Property always true?

Yes, the Monomorphism Cancellation Property is always true in sets with well-defined operations. However, it may not hold in other mathematical structures such as rings or modules.

5. How is the Monomorphism Cancellation Property used in real-world applications?

The Monomorphism Cancellation Property has various applications in different fields such as computer science, statistics, and cryptography. In computer science, it is used to compare the efficiency of algorithms by considering their running time and memory usage. In statistics, it is used to determine the size of a sample needed to accurately represent a larger population. In cryptography, it is used to ensure the security and efficiency of encryption and decryption algorithms.