Monitoring FPU usage under Windows?

• Thread starter Borek
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Windows
In summary: IMHO you are mixing two things here, and I want to keep them separate. Floating power on the graphic card is (mostly) used for graphics generation. Around DOOM time everything (including graphics generation) was done by the CPU, around Quake things has changed (thanks to Quake using some subset of OpenGL) as the first consumer graphic cards with accelerated 3D rendering appeared (Voodoo and so on).I didn't mix anything. What you are describing is exactly what I am talking about.GPU is not used for the physics behind the world. This is the domain of CPU and engines like Havok, Open Dynamics Engine or Box2D.I see. So you are looking for FLOPS used
Borek
Mentor
Does anyone know how to monitor FPU usage under Windows? There are plenty of monitors (even the built one) that will show CPU usage, but I am interested just in FPU and I can't find anything. Does it mean there is no way of checking?

Perhaps profilers could help gather some data, but in my (dated) experience they are perfect when you have a source code, and I need to collect some general FPU usage data.

Computer science news on Phys.org
FPU - Floating Point Units?

Yes.

This is related to this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/computer-games-based-on-physics-engines.803658/ I have problems finding good information. I tried to contact developers and producers, but so far to no avail.

More or less the question at the moment is: how did the games change with more and more FLOPS available? How many FLOPS do the games use?

Borek said:
Yes.

This is related to this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/computer-games-based-on-physics-engines.803658/ I have problems finding good information. I tried to contact developers and producers, but so far to no avail.

More or less the question at the moment is: how did the games change with more and more FLOPS available? How many FLOPS do the games use?
Well, as CPUs got faster and able to execute more FLOPS, games changed from cartoons like Mario Bros. to more realistic graphics like DOOM and others.

It's hard to separate out the performance of the FPU from the CPU, because the FPU is integrated into the overall design of the processor, especially in the Intel family. The need for more raw processing power for the most realistic games has outstripped what the CPU-FPU combinations can provide, which is why graphics cards have separate memory and multiple FPU chips which are capable of executing parallel code.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphics_processing_unit

Most FPU testing of which I am aware is performance on one or more computation benchmarks. I'm not aware of any real-time monitoring of FPU performance.

SteamKing said:
Well, as CPUs got faster and able to execute more FLOPS, games changed from cartoons like Mario Bros. to more realistic graphics like DOOM and others.

And that's what I want to write about.

It's hard to separate out the performance of the FPU from the CPU, because the FPU is integrated into the overall design of the processor, especially in the Intel family.

Which doesn't make the distinction between FLOPS and MIPS obsolete (#include all necessary disclaimers and caveats here.

The need for more raw processing power for the most realistic games has outstripped what the CPU-FPU combinations can provide, which is why graphics cards have separate memory and multiple FPU chips which are capable of executing parallel code.

IMHO you are mixing two things here, and I want to keep them separate. Floating power on the graphic card is (mostly) used for graphics generation. Around DOOM time everything (including graphics generation) was done by the CPU, around Quake things has changed (thanks to Quake using some subset of OpenGL) as the first consumer graphic cards with accelerated 3D rendering appeared (Voodoo and so on). But that's not what I am looking after. As far as I know GPU is not used for the physics behind the world. This is the domain of CPU and engines like Havok, Open Dynamics Engine or Box2D. I am interested in FLOPS used by these engines.

Borek said:
Which doesn't make the distinction between FLOPS and MIPS obsolete (#include all necessary disclaimers and caveats here.
No one ever said that this distinction is obsolete.
IMHO you are mixing two things here, and I want to keep them separate. Floating power on the graphic card is (mostly) used for graphics generation. Around DOOM time everything (including graphics generation) was done by the CPU, around Quake things has changed (thanks to Quake using some subset of OpenGL) as the first consumer graphic cards with accelerated 3D rendering appeared (Voodoo and so on). But that's not what I am looking after. As far as I know GPU is not used for the physics behind the world. This is the domain of CPU and engines like Havok, Open Dynamics Engine or Box2D. I am interested in FLOPS used by these engines.

Normally, you would be right, but with high-end graphics cards coming down in price, their capabilities are being used for more that "just" graphics. In many cases, the raw processing power of many graphics cards outstrips that of the computer's CPU.

Here is a page from one GPU vendor, nVidia:

http://www.nvidia.com/page/products.html#GPUAccelerated

Clicking on "GPU Computing" under the section "GPU Accelerated Software Applications" will show about 20 pages of all sorts of software where the actual number crunching, not just the graphics, is accelerated by use of this brand of GPU.

Here is one sample application, under the heading of "Computational Chemistry" for nVidia Tesla GPU Accelerators:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/computational_chemistry.html

There are other applications for structural mechanics, computational fluid dynamics, etc.

With advanced GPUs having parallel architectures, it's almost like having a personal supercomputer in your desktop.

I know of these applications.

Can we please stay on topic?

Since FPUs are now integrated multiple times both within CPU's and GPU's I doubt there would be any off the shelf software for Windows that monitors the use of individual units within the chips.
Possibly the manufacturers of the chips might have something which does this as part of their R&D effort.

There hasn't been a separate FPU on Intel chips for a very long time - maybe 25 years. Today there are multiple FPUs on a single CPU, with some able to execute some instructions and some able to execute others. I'm not even sure FPU usage is even well defined - if FPU0 is used 100% of the time, but FPU1 is idle, is this 100% usage? 50% usage? Some other number? It's probably impossible to keep them all busy simultaneously.

Vanadium 50 said:
There hasn't been a separate FPU on Intel chips for a very long time - maybe 25 years. Today there are multiple FPUs on a single CPU, with some able to execute some instructions and some able to execute others. I'm not even sure FPU usage is even well defined - if FPU0 is used 100% of the time, but FPU1 is idle, is this 100% usage? 50% usage? Some other number? It's probably impossible to keep them all busy simultaneously.
While there may no longer be separate physical chips, there are special instruction codes which are executed by the FPU which perform the floating point operations.

As the internal architecture of the Intel family has gotten more complicated, the instruction set has complexified quite a bit over the years, and the floating point instructions are but one aspect of this.

I'm not sure how that helps Borek, though. Because of the superscalar nature of modern chips, even things like "time spent executing FMUL" are not simple.

Related to Monitoring FPU usage under Windows?

1. What is FPU usage and why is it important to monitor it under Windows?

FPU (Floating Point Unit) usage refers to the amount of processing power used by the FPU component of a computer's CPU. This component is responsible for performing mathematical calculations and is crucial for many applications, especially those involving graphics, simulations, and scientific computations. Monitoring FPU usage under Windows is important to ensure efficient and stable performance of these applications.

2. How can I monitor FPU usage under Windows?

There are several ways to monitor FPU usage under Windows. One option is to use third-party software that provides real-time monitoring of CPU usage, including FPU usage. Another option is to use Windows Performance Monitor, which is a built-in tool that allows you to track various system resources, including FPU usage. Additionally, some task managers and system monitors also display FPU usage.

3. What are the benefits of monitoring FPU usage under Windows?

Monitoring FPU usage under Windows can help you identify any bottlenecks or issues that may be affecting the performance of your applications. It can also help you optimize your system by identifying which applications are using the most FPU resources and potentially causing delays or crashes. Additionally, monitoring FPU usage can help you troubleshoot any errors or crashes related to mathematical calculations.

4. Can monitoring FPU usage help improve overall system performance?

Yes, monitoring FPU usage can help improve overall system performance. By identifying and optimizing the applications that are using the most FPU resources, you can free up processing power for other tasks and potentially improve the speed and stability of your system. Additionally, monitoring FPU usage can help you identify any hardware or software issues that may be affecting the performance of your system.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to monitoring FPU usage under Windows?

One potential drawback of monitoring FPU usage under Windows is that it may consume additional system resources, especially if you are using a third-party monitoring tool. This may slightly impact the performance of your system, but it is usually negligible. Another potential drawback is that monitoring FPU usage may not provide a complete picture of your system's performance, as it only tracks one specific component. It is important to also monitor other system resources, such as CPU usage and memory usage, for a more comprehensive understanding of your system's performance.