Momentum of Bird on Swing after takeoff

In summary: The "before" and "after" are the subscripts on the m's. This will help you in the future. Good luck!I think you know what you are doing, but it does not come across in your writing. You might want to type out what you are thinking as you are doing these problems. Just like I did.In summary, we are given the masses and velocities of two players before a perfectly inelastic collision, and are asked to find the velocity of the combined players and the decrease in kinetic energy. Using the conservation of momentum, we can find the resulting velocity to be 2.84 m/s to the east. To find the decrease in kinetic energy, we must first calculate the
itsjustwhoiam
1.problem
A 94 kg fullback moving east with a speed of 9.0 m/s is tackled by a 99 kg opponent running west at 3.0 m/s, and the collision is perfectly inelastic.

(a) Calculate the velocity of the players just after the tackle.
___________________ m/s to the east
(b) Calculate the decrease in kinetic energy during the collision.
___________________ J2. eqns
conservation of energy/momentum
Ke=1/2 * m * v^2
Pe=mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

a. 99*3=297
94*9=846
846-297=549
549/(94+99)=2.84

b.
I AM CLUELESS? I GOT 2695.6696

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you get that number for part b?

If the collision is perfectly inelastic, then the two objects stick together. Since you have the velocity after impact, you can get the kinetic energy after the impact.

what exactly should i do?

You have not correctly calculated the initial kinetic energy of the the 2 players. Before the collision, each has its own mass, speed, and KE. KE is a scalar quantity. Just add them up. And your title is for the birds. :wink:

I don't follow your thinking for the collision. We can't talk, so we have to write very clearly. Does your teacher begin with a general statement for a collision problem such as:

momentum before collision = momentum after collision

This is most helpful and worth writing! You put the formulas on the next line (one mv for each moving object or stuck-together object), then the numbers on the next and finally the answer on the next line.

Related to Momentum of Bird on Swing after takeoff

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a physical quantity that describes an object's motion. It is defined as the product of an object's mass and its velocity.

2. How is momentum related to the bird on a swing after takeoff?

The bird on a swing has momentum because it has both mass and velocity. As it takes off, its velocity increases and therefore its momentum increases as well.

3. Does the bird's momentum change during its swing?

Yes, the bird's momentum changes during its swing due to the changing velocity and direction of its motion. As the bird swings upward, its velocity decreases and its momentum decreases as well. As it swings downward, its velocity increases and its momentum increases.

4. Can the bird's momentum be affected by external forces?

Yes, the bird's momentum can be affected by external forces such as wind or other objects colliding with it. These forces can alter the bird's velocity and therefore its momentum.

5. How does the conservation of momentum apply to the bird on a swing after takeoff?

The conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a system remains constant if there are no external forces acting on the system. In the case of the bird on a swing, its momentum may change due to external forces, but the total momentum of the bird and the swing together remains constant.