Momentum graph + why graph should be curved line

In summary, a student conducted an experiment to investigate the motion of a trolley rolling down a ramp and recorded the time the beam was broken to calculate the speed of the trolley. The experiment results showed that as the height of the ramp increased, the momentum of the trolley also increased. However, the data points on the graph did not suggest a perfectly proportional relationship between height and momentum. It was also noted that the graph did not pass through the origin, indicating that there may be other factors at play, such as gravity and friction. The student suggested that conducting the experiment on a ramp made of ice and using an ice cube trolley may produce a curved graph.
Barclay

Homework Statement

A student investigates the motion of a trolley as it rolls down a ramp ... a data logger records the time the beam was broken for and uses this to calculate the speed of the trolley.

Experiment results are:
Height of ramp (cm) / Momentum of trolley at the bottom
15 / 1.1
20 / 1.3
25 / 1.5
30 / 1.6
35 / 1.8
40 / 2.0Q1. Draw a graph of the results with height on x-axis and momentum on y-axisQ2. Describe the pattern of the graph.Q3. Do the data points on the graph suggest that the line should go through the origin?

Q4. Using ideas about momentum, explain whether you would expect the line to go through the origin.

Homework Equations

[/B]
momentum = mass x velocity

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Q1 - done that

Q2. It looks like a straight line ... well more or less (allowing for experimental error). I say as the height of the ramp increases the momentum increases.

The book answer also says "as the height of the ramp increases the momentum increases" but then says "It is not proportional". I do not understand that. A straight line, I thought means proportionality

Q3. Y-axis is cut at 0.6 kg m/s ... this is correct according to the book

Q4.
I say YES the line should pass through the origin because at the beginning velocity is ZERO so momentum is ZERO from momentum = mass x velocity but the line cuts the y-axis at 0.6 kg m/s.

The book says the student should make more measurements between 0 cm and 15 cm but friction slows the trolley down preventing this.

My main confusion is why the graph looks like a straight line but the book suggests it should be curved and pass to ZERO

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the book is saying that the height of the ramp and the momentum of the trolley are directly related but not perfectly proportional: meaning that the height of the ramp increasing also increases the momentum of the trolley, but they do not increase in proportional manner (1/1 ratio)

blurryface said:
the height of the ramp and the momentum of the trolley are directly related but not perfectly proportional: meaning that the height of the ramp increasing also increases the momentum of the trolley, but they do not increase in proportional manner (1/1 ratio)

But why not? The graph looks more or less like a straight line so should mean proportionality - as the height of the ramp increases the trolley should travel proportionately faster and hence momentum will increase proportionately because momentum = mv so momentum is proportional to velocity.

But I can see that the graph is wrong because the line does not pass through ZERO. To pass through ZERO it has to be a curve.

Is it meant to be a curve because gravity comes into play? Gravity means acceleration and that is metres per second 'squared'. The 'squared' bit produces the curve.

No readings are possible between 0 - 15 cm because the trolley is slowed by friction. Would the experiment be better done on a ramp made of ice and an ice cube trolley. Might that produce a curved graph?

Related to Momentum graph + why graph should be curved line

1. What is momentum graph?

A momentum graph is a graph that shows the relationship between an object's velocity and its momentum. It is used to visually represent how an object's momentum changes over time.

2. Why is the graph curved?

The graph is curved because momentum is a vector quantity that takes into account both the magnitude and direction of an object's velocity. This means that as the velocity changes, so does the momentum, resulting in a curved line on the graph.

3. How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity: p = mv. The resulting unit for momentum is kg*m/s.

4. What does the slope of a momentum graph represent?

The slope of a momentum graph represents the object's acceleration. This is because acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity, and momentum is directly proportional to velocity.

5. Why is a momentum graph useful?

A momentum graph is useful because it allows us to analyze an object's movement and understand how its momentum changes over time. It can also help us predict future momentum based on past data.