Angular momentum of particle about the origin

In summary: I'll definitely consider it! In summary, the particle has constant velocity and has a total angular momentum of L=10 mv.
Krushnaraj Pandya
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A particle (5 kg) moves with constant velocity 2 m/s along the straight line 2y=3x+4, the angular momentum of the particle about origin is?

Homework Equations

L=r x p

The Attempt at a Solution

For a 2d problem we take the component of velocity perpendicular to the point about which we want to find the momentum and multiply it with the perpendicular distance. Here slope of the line gives tanθ=3/2, p=mv=10 and L=mvrcosθ, mvcosθ equals 20/√13 but isn't the distance r (here r=the y coordinate of the particle) continuously increasing? I get the correct answer for r=2 though, I don't understand how. I'd really appreciate some help, thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
##\vec r \times \vec p## only depends on the part of ##\vec r## that is orthogonal to ##\vec p##.

Orodruin said:
##\vec r \times \vec p## only depends on the part of ##\vec r## that is orthogonal to ##\vec p##.
I know only the very basics of vectors, (its yet to be reached in our mathematics coursework). I suppose the part of r that's perpendicular to momentum is what you mean but that part seems to be increasing with time as well

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
but that part seems to be increasing with time as well
Why do you think so? (It is not correct)

upload_2018-10-23_16-12-40.jpeg

Here is a quick drawing of the situation.
The red vector is always the part of the position vector orthogonal to p. The blue vectors are different position vectors for the part let moving along the black line and the magenta vector its momentum. The green vectors are the components of the position vectors not perpendicular to p.

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-23_16-12-40.jpeg
    upload_2018-10-23_16-12-40.jpeg
    19.5 KB · Views: 631
Orodruin said:
View attachment 232643
Here is a quick drawing of the situation.
The red vector is always the part of the position vector orthogonal to p. The blue vectors are different position vectors for the part let moving along the black line and the magenta vector its momentum. The green vectors are the components of the position vectors not perpendicular to p.
Ohh, I understand really well where I was thinking wrong. The diagram helped a lot. Thank you :D
The fact that people on this website take out so much time to help students like me amazes me, so I've thought about donating to the site from my savings after my exams this year are over. can you direct me to where I can do that?

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
The fact that people on this website take out so much time to help students like me amazes me, so I've thought about donating to the site from my savings after my exams this year are over. can you direct me to where I can do that?
If you want to support PF I would suggest a gold membership. It supports PF and you get something out of it. See also
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/easy-ways-you-can-support-physics-forums.813856/

Likes Greg Bernhardt

Related to Angular momentum of particle about the origin

1. What is angular momentum of a particle about the origin?

Angular momentum of a particle about the origin is a measure of the rotational motion of the particle around the origin point. It takes into account the mass, velocity, and distance of the particle from the origin.

2. How is angular momentum calculated?

Angular momentum is calculated by multiplying the particle's mass by its velocity and its distance from the origin, and then taking the cross product of these values. This can be represented by the equation L = mvr, where L is angular momentum, m is mass, v is velocity, and r is distance.

3. What is the unit of measurement for angular momentum?

The unit of measurement for angular momentum is kilogram meters squared per second (kg m^2/s).

4. How is angular momentum related to angular velocity?

Angular momentum and angular velocity are closely related. Angular velocity is the rate of change of angular displacement, while angular momentum is the product of rotational inertia and angular velocity. This means that a change in angular velocity will result in a corresponding change in angular momentum.

5. Can angular momentum be conserved?

Yes, angular momentum can be conserved in a system where there is no external torque acting on the particles. This is known as the law of conservation of angular momentum. In this case, the total angular momentum of the system remains constant, even if the individual particles may have changing angular momenta.