Momentum-free spinors and the Dirac equation

In summary, the Dirac equation can be used to derive spin from mass and potential energy. However, this equation becomes unwieldy when dealing with spin, and the application of the Pauli spin matrices is necessary to understand the dynamics of spin.
DiracPool
We can create a Dirac equation with no potential energy and zero momentum and still get spin? Is this correct? How do the Pauli spin matrices apply here? On the surface, the Dirac equation seems fairly straightforward, but when you dig even a little deeper, it's starts to become unwieldy

I've got a million questions, but my first one is what does the zero potential, zero momentum Dirac equation tell us about spin? I don't get it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, if you solve this equation, what you get is psi equals the exponential raised to the power of the mass, Ψ=e^i(M)t

But you have 4 equations, with 4 eigenvalues, two of which are for the positive energy solution and two of which are for the negative energy solution. We can split each into two spin states but that tells (at least me) nothing as to how these states vary from one another. In my explorations of what "spin" means and is what it is telling us my inclination is to look at the Pauli spin matrices and try to decipher what the superpositions of the left versus the right moving wave functions are telling us, along with how each of the 4 equations mix up these directional wave dynamics. What I am not seeing is how when you halt the momentum and eschew the contribution of the Pauli matrices, how do you still get spin?

Hmm. It's probably best to take a step back and consider the theory of (nonrelativistic) quantum angular momentum in isolation. But I don't know how much you've studied that. E.g., do you have a copy of Ballentine? The crucial information here is in sect 7.1 (iirc). Quantized spin emerges from essentially nothing more than a requirement that elements of the rotation group ##SO(3)## be represented as unitary operators on a Hilbert space -- independent of any considerations about energy or linear momentum. From there, one can progress to the Pauli equation (nonrelativistic analog of the Dirac eqn), and so on.

Related to Momentum-free spinors and the Dirac equation

1. What are momentum-free spinors?

Momentum-free spinors are mathematical objects used to describe the intrinsic spin of particles. They are solutions to the Dirac equation, a relativistic wave equation that describes the behavior of spin-1/2 particles such as electrons.

2. How are momentum-free spinors related to the Dirac equation?

Momentum-free spinors are solutions to the Dirac equation, which is a relativistic wave equation that describes the behavior of spin-1/2 particles. The Dirac equation incorporates special relativity and quantum mechanics, and it predicts the existence of antimatter and spin.

3. Are momentum-free spinors important in physics?

Yes, momentum-free spinors are important in physics because they describe the intrinsic spin of particles and play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of fundamental particles. They are also used in various areas of physics, such as quantum field theory and particle physics.

4. How do momentum-free spinors differ from other spinors?

Momentum-free spinors differ from other spinors in that they describe the spin of a particle without considering its momentum. This means that they are valid even in the absence of external forces or interactions, making them useful for studying isolated particles.

5. Can momentum-free spinors be observed in experiments?

No, momentum-free spinors cannot be directly observed in experiments. They are mathematical objects used to describe the behavior of particles and are not directly measurable. However, their predictions can be tested and confirmed through experiments, providing evidence for their existence.