Are special relativity rules encoded in the Dirac equation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of whether the solutions for a free particle in the Dirac equation obey special relativity. The speaker points out that the energy-momentum relation used in the equation does not explicitly include the rules of special relativity, such as the limit of nothing traveling faster than light. However, the theory can be considered relativistic if it works in any inertial reference frame and is Lorentz Covariant. This means that a speed measured as c in one frame will also be measured as c in another frame, but does not necessarily guarantee that nothing can travel faster than light.
raeed
This may seem like a stupid question, but i can't get my head around this so please bear with me.
I just looked at the derivation of Dirac equation and my question is:
do the solutions for a free particle obey special relativity? because if yes why? I mean I thought using E2=(mc2)2+(pc)2 would just give us more accurate energy levels. this energy momentum relation doesn't seem to include in itself the rules of special relativity, for example, where does it state that nothing goes faster than light? to state that don't we need the following relations:
E=γmc2 and P=γmv?
if this relation does in fact have SP rules encoded in it, then that means i can derive all the rules of SP from this simple relation right?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are absolutely correct that choosing a relativistic-looking Hamiltonian to represent the energy observable does not guarantee that the resulting differential equation will be relativistic. This is just a heuristic argument that reflects the way in which Dirac arrived at his equation, thereby providing a motivation for it. To establish its relativistic character we need to understand what it means for a theory to be relativistic.

The characteristic you need for a theory to be relativistic is that the theory works (without change) in any inertial reference frame, under the assumption that inertial reference frames are connected by Lorentz Transformations. The way we check this is to show that the relevant equation is Lorentz Covariant. This is a bit of a laborious exercise but you'll find it carried out in any decent exposition of the Dirac Equation.

Note also that the condition of Lorentz Covariance will guarantee that a speed measured as ##c## in one frame will also be measured as ##c## in another frame, because this fact follows directly from the Lorentz Transformation connecting the frames. However, it does not guarantee that nothing travels faster than light, or indeed that other strange shenanigans won't happen concerning this speed. If you do a search for the term Zitterbewegung, for example, you'll see just such a puzzling speed-of-light effect one can derive from the Dirac Equation.

Likes dextercioby

Related to Are special relativity rules encoded in the Dirac equation?

1. What is the Dirac equation?

The Dirac equation is a mathematical formula that describes the behavior of particles with spin, such as electrons, in quantum mechanics.

2. How does the Dirac equation relate to special relativity?

The Dirac equation incorporates the principles of special relativity, such as the constancy of the speed of light and the equivalence of mass and energy, into its mathematical framework.

3. What are the implications of special relativity rules being encoded in the Dirac equation?

This implies that the behavior of particles with spin is governed not only by quantum mechanics but also by the principles of special relativity, which have been experimentally validated.

4. How was the connection between the Dirac equation and special relativity discovered?

In the early 1920s, physicist Paul Dirac postulated the existence of a new type of particle, the electron's antiparticle, which led him to develop the Dirac equation. Through his calculations, he realized that the equation incorporated the principles of special relativity.

5. What is the significance of special relativity being encoded in the Dirac equation?

This connection provides a more complete understanding of the behavior of particles with spin and helps reconcile the theories of quantum mechanics and special relativity, which were previously thought to be incompatible.