Moments & Pivots: Find Force T for Level Board

• Thread starter Sarahborg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moments
In summary, a uniform board of length 90cm is pivoted at a hinge and kept level by an upward vertical force T applied at the opposite end. The weight of the board is 6N. Using the formula Moment = Force x Perpendicular distance, the attempt at a solution involved multiplying 45 (half the length of the board) by 6 to get 270, and then dividing by 90 to get 3N. This is incorrect as there is no angular acceleration in this scenario. The correct solution involves a moment balance of (-45 * 6 + 90 * 3) cm * N, which equals 0. This means that the net torque sums to zero and the board remains level. Additionally,
Sarahborg

Homework Statement

A uniform board of length 90cm is pivoted at a hinge at one end. It is kept level by an upward vertical force T applied at the opposite end. The weight of the board is 6N. Take moments about the hinge to find T when the board is level.

Homework Equations

Moment = Force x Perpendicular distance

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried doing 45 x 6 = 270, and then 270/90 which is 3N. I think it's wrong though (I got the 45 by dividing 90 by 2)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Sarah, :welcome:

Much better !
What makes you doubt the result ?
Your moment balance looks like ( -45 * 6 + 90 * 3) cm * N and that is zero, so no angular acceleration.

Likes Sarahborg
+1

Welcome to the forum. It looks right to me as well.

Likes Sarahborg
CWatters said:
+1

Welcome to the forum. It looks right to me as well.
Thank you very much

How do you calculate angular acceleration, because we haven't covered it yet, and got curious.

Thank you very much for your help :)

Pardon the link: :smile: there is a parallel between linear motion and angular motion.

Likes Sarahborg and CWatters
Although in this case there is no angular acceleration because you were asked to arrange for the net torque to sum to zero. See also Newton's laws.

Likes Sarahborg
BvU said:
Pardon the link: :smile: there is a parallel between linear motion and angular motion.
Thanks

How are Newton's Laws related to angular acceleration?

Thanks

Have you come to the conclusion the answer you found in post #1 is correct ? Oh well, I hinted as much in post #2.

For Newton we have $$ \vec F = m\vec a $$ and the (almost carbon copy)https://www.boundless.com/physics/textbooks/boundless-physics-textbook/uniform-circular-motion-and-gravitation-5/angular-vs-linear-quantities-59/angular-vs-linear-quantities-272-6253/in angular motion is $$ \vec \tau = I\vec \alpha $$
(see table 1 https://www.boundless.com/physics/textbooks/boundless-physics-textbook/rotational-kinematics-angular-momentum-and-energy-9/problem-solving-88/problem-solving-techniques-332-6291/)
## \vec \tau ## is the torque
## I ## is the moment of inertia
##\vec \alpha## is the angular acceleration

Likes Sarahborg and CWatters

Related to Moments & Pivots: Find Force T for Level Board

What is the concept of Moments and Pivots?

Moments and pivots refer to the principles of mechanics that are used to analyze the forces acting on an object that is in rotational motion. It involves the study of how a force applied at a certain distance from a pivot point can cause the object to rotate.

Why is it important to find the force T for a level board?

Finding the force T for a level board is important because it helps determine the stability of the board. If the force T is too great, it can cause the board to tip over. On the other hand, if the force T is too small, the board may not be able to support the weight placed on it.

What factors affect the calculation of force T?

The calculation of force T depends on several factors including the weight of the object placed on the board, the distance from the pivot point, and the torque applied by the force. Other factors such as the friction between the board and the ground, and the distribution of weight on the board may also affect the calculation.

How can the force T be calculated?

The force T can be calculated by using the principle of moments. This involves setting up an equation where the sum of the clockwise moments is equal to the sum of the counterclockwise moments. By rearranging the equation and solving for force T, the value can be determined.

What are some real-world applications of Moments and Pivots?

Moments and pivots have many practical applications in engineering and physics. For example, they are used in the design of structures such as bridges and buildings to ensure stability. They are also used in the analysis of machines and mechanisms to determine the forces acting on them. In everyday life, moments and pivots can be seen in objects such as seesaws, door hinges, and wrenches.