Moment of Inertia of a molecule of collinear atoms

In summary: Assuming the molecule lies along the z-axis (z=0), the principle moment of inertia should be:1. I1 = summation(m*ysquare)2. I2 = summation (m*xsquare)3. I3 = summation (m*(xsquare + ysquare))From these, you can solve for ##I##.I1 = summation(m*ysquare)I2 = summation (m*xsquare)I3 = summation (m*(xsquare + ysquare))The answer is:I = I1 + I2 + I3
raopeng

Homework Statement

Landau&Lifshitz Vol. Mechanics, p101 Q1Find the moment of inertia of a molecule of collinear atoms

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I defined the origin alone the orientation of the molecule. [itex]I_3=0[/itex] obviously. For [itex]I_2[/itex] I wrote [itex]I_2=Ʃm_b[x_b-\frac{Ʃm_a x_a}{μ}]^2[/itex] where μ is the total mass. But it cannot give the desired answer of [itex]\frac{1}{μ}Ʃm_a m_b l^2_{ab}[/itex]. Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, raopeng.

raopeng said:
I defined the origin alone the orientation of the molecule. [itex]I_3=0[/itex] obviously. For [itex]I_2[/itex] I wrote [itex]I_2=Ʃm_b[x_b-\frac{Ʃm_a x_a}{μ}]^2[/itex] where μ is the total mass. But it cannot give the desired answer of [itex]\frac{1}{μ}Ʃm_a m_b l^2_{ab}[/itex]. Thanks guys!

You can show that [itex]I_2=Ʃm_b[x_b-\frac{Ʃm_a x_a}{μ}]^2[/itex] will reduce to [itex]\frac{1}{μ}Ʃm_a m_b l^2_{ab}[/itex]. But it's somewhat tedious.

It's a little easier if you introduce coordinates ##\overline{x}_b## relative to the center of mass: ##\overline{x}_b = x_b-\frac{Ʃm_a x_a}{μ}##.

So, ##I_2=\sum_bm_b\overline{x}_b^2##. To get started, note that

##I_2=\sum_bm_b\overline{x}_b^2 = \frac{\mu}{\mu}\sum_bm_b\overline{x}_b^2 = \frac{1}{\mu}\sum_a\sum_b m_a m_b\overline{x}_b^2 = \frac{1}{\mu}\sum_a\sum_b m_a m_b\overline{x}_a^2##

Consider ##\frac{1}{\mu}\sum_a\sum_b m_a m_b(\overline{x}_b-\overline{x}_a)^2## .

Likes 1 person
Thanks I got there in the end using that expansion though.

Hi

I was working my way through this problem but couldn't even begin. Could someone explain more explicitly?

My attempt at a solution:
Assuming the molecule lies along the z axis (z=0), the principle moment of inertia should be:
1. I1 = summation(m*ysquare)
2. I2 = summation (m*xsquare)
3. I3 = summation (m*(xsquare + ysquare))

But this is nowhere close to the answer! Please help

It would help if you posted the question itself too (not all of us have the book).

Your assumption is confusing. If it lies along the z-axis, that means all x and y are 0 .
If it lies in the x-y plane, that means all z are 0.
From the context I guess you mean the latter.

Start with stating the relevant equation for ##I##.

Related to Moment of Inertia of a molecule of collinear atoms

1. What is the moment of inertia of a molecule of collinear atoms?

The moment of inertia of a molecule of collinear atoms refers to the measure of its resistance to rotation about its axis of symmetry. It is dependent on the mass and distribution of the atoms within the molecule.

2. How is the moment of inertia of a molecule of collinear atoms calculated?

The moment of inertia of a molecule of collinear atoms can be calculated by using the formula I = mr^2, where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the atom, and r is the distance of the atom from the axis of rotation.

3. What factors affect the moment of inertia of a molecule of collinear atoms?

The moment of inertia of a molecule of collinear atoms is affected by the mass and distribution of the atoms within the molecule, as well as the distance of the atoms from the axis of rotation. It is also influenced by the shape and orientation of the molecule.

4. How does the moment of inertia of a molecule of collinear atoms impact its physical properties?

The moment of inertia of a molecule of collinear atoms plays a significant role in determining its physical properties, such as its rotational energy and angular momentum. It also affects the molecule's ability to absorb and emit radiation, and its behavior in a magnetic field.

5. Can the moment of inertia of a molecule of collinear atoms be altered?

Yes, the moment of inertia of a molecule of collinear atoms can be altered by changing the distribution of atoms within the molecule, as well as its shape and orientation. It can also be affected by changing the temperature and pressure conditions of the molecule.