How Do You Calculate the Inertia Tensor for a Complex Molecule?

In summary, a molecule similar to methanol made of three flourine atoms, one carbon atom, one oxygen atom, and one potassium atom has its flourine atoms evenly spaced in the z = 0 plane, the carbon atom on the z axis, the oxygen atom on the z axis, and the potassium atom located at (-0.357, 0.000, 1.190) nm. To determine the components of the inertia tensor, the moment of inertia for each atom can be found by using the equations Ixx= ∫ y^2 + z^2 dm, Iyy= ∫ x^2 + z^2 dm, and Izz= ∫ x^2 + y^2 dm, using sums
dinospamoni

Homework Statement

A molecule similar to methanol is made by joining three flourine atoms (purple; m = 19 amu each) to one carbon atom (blue; 12 amu) to one oxygen atom (green; 16 amu) to one potassium atom (orange; 39 amu). The position of each atom is as follows:

1. The flourine atoms are evenly spaced about the origin in the z = 0 plane, with one of them on the x-axis at -0.476 nm.

2. The carbon atom is on the z axis at z = 0.238 nm.

3. The oxygen atom is on the z axis at z = 0.952 nm.

4. The potassium atom is located at coordinates (x, y, z) = (-0.357, 0.000, 1.190) nm.

Determine the components of the inertia tensor for this molecule. Enter a) Ixx, b) Iyy, and c) Izz.

Picture is attached

Homework Equations

Ixx= ∫ y^2 + z^2 dm

Iyy= ∫ x^2 + z^2 dm

Izz= ∫ x^2 + y^2 dm

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure where to start with this one. I've only ever had to find the moment of inertia for a solid object, never a collection of small objects. For those I converted to spherical coordinates and solved it that way.

I think the first thing that would help me out is finding out how to integrate over mass, or finding a substitute for it which would be easier to integrate over. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• prob08-02.gif
    prob08-02.gif
    9.5 KB · Views: 474
Physics news on Phys.org
They are points masses. Use sums instead of integrals.

Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you mean

You can ignore the moment of inertia of each atom about its own centroidal axis. Apply the parallel axis theorem after finding the location of the centroid of the molecule.

I think what you're saying is that a molecule only adds to the moment of inertia of it isn't lying directly on that axis?

ie; the blue and green molecules don't add to the Izz moment of inertia because they lie on the z-axis?

$$
I_{xx} = \sum_i m_i \left( y_i^2 + z_i^2 \right)
$$
etc. where ##y_i## is the ##y## coordinate of atom ##i## and so on.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Inertia Tensor for a Complex Molecule?

What is moment of inertia with masses?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It takes into account the object's mass, shape, and distribution of mass around its axis of rotation.

How is moment of inertia calculated for masses?

The moment of inertia for masses is calculated by multiplying the mass of each individual particle by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation, and then summing up all of these values.

What is the unit of measurement for moment of inertia with masses?

The unit of measurement for moment of inertia with masses is kilogram meter squared (kg*m^2).

How does the distribution of mass affect the moment of inertia?

The distribution of mass around an object's axis of rotation directly affects its moment of inertia. Objects with more mass concentrated towards their axis of rotation will have a lower moment of inertia, while objects with more mass distributed further from their axis of rotation will have a higher moment of inertia.

How is moment of inertia with masses used in real-world applications?

Moment of inertia with masses is used in a variety of real-world applications, including calculating the stability and balance of objects such as bridges and airplanes, analyzing the motion of rotating machinery, and understanding the behavior of objects in space.