Moment of force, stabilising a board carried over shoulder

In summary: I'm completely on the right track but am feeling warmer.In summary, to stabilise the 3m board with a weight of 32N, 1.8m sticks out behind the carrier's shoulder, 1.2m in front and his hand is 0.4m from the shoulder. The downward force needed at the hand is 0.24N.
Rbraind

Homework Statement

A 3m board is carried and has a weight of 32N. 1.8m sticks out behind the carriers shoulder,1.2m in front and his hand is 0.4m from the shoulder.How much downward force needs to be applied at the hand to stabilise the board. Assume the weight is evenly distributed along the board. I'm confused.

Homework Equations

T=Fd

The Attempt at a Solution

how do i measure the force over the whole board, will it be 32N at 1.8m and 1.2m and 0.4m?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Rbraind! :smile:

There are three forces on the board: the weight, and the two reaction forces.

Do vertical components, then do moments (about some suitable point) …

what do you get? :wink:

thankyou tiny-tim! - not sure if I'm completely on the right track but am feeling warmer.
Three forces on the board - the 32N and then his hand and shoulder will have reaction forces yes? So moments would be moment of inertia I am thinking I=mr2
If I do 1.5 (the some point?...pivot point!) and x by 0.4m I get 0.24, then do I times this by gravity 9.81 ?? We only covered this really briefly in our lecture so I'm trying to make sense of my textbook...hope I'm getting closer. Can't wait till I can be the one giving good advice on the forums...one day :)

Rbraind said:
If I do 1.5 (the some point?...pivot point!) and x by 0.4m I get 0.24, then do I times this by gravity 9.81 ??

(moment of inertia is irrelevant)

Call the reaction forces A and B.

Write out the vertical components equation, and then the moments equation about the shoulder as the pivot point.

Nope I'm lost. But thanks for your help.I feel like its in there but the more i try to make sense of it the more my brain feels like exploding. 32N pushes down on his shoulder and 32N back up - pivot point must be 0.3m from his shoulder and 0.7m from his hand ? I don't get vertical components and moment equation ? I'm studying by distance and our lecture really skimmed through this bit, i should take it up with the lecturer but think I've left it too late. I love trying to work it out but I just can't make sense of the method...arggghhhh

Perhaps a diagram would help.

Attachments

• Fig4.gif
    Fig4.gif
    1.5 KB · Views: 479
Hi Rbraind!
Rbraind said:
32N pushes down on his shoulder and 32N back up

That's right … so the vertical components equation is A + B = 32 :smile:
- pivot point must be 0.3m from his shoulder and 0.7m from his hand ? I don't get vertical components and moment equation ?

Yes and no :smile:

You can choose the pivot point to be anywhere.

You've chosen it to be where the weight W is.

So you'll have a moments equation involving A and B but not W.

That's fine … that'll be your second equation in A and B, and you can solve the two equations simultaneously.

Perhaps an easier way would be to use the shoulder as the pivot point … then your moments equation involves A and W but not B, which is quicker to solve. :wink:

Do it both ways, just to see …

what do you get? :smile:

Related to Moment of force, stabilising a board carried over shoulder

1. What is a moment of force?

The moment of force, also known as torque, is a measure of the tendency of a force to rotate an object around a specific axis or point. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the axis or point to the point of application of the force.

2. How does a moment of force affect stability?

A moment of force can either increase or decrease the stability of an object, depending on the direction and magnitude of the force. If the moment of force is applied in a direction that causes the object to rotate towards a stable position, it will increase stability. However, if the moment of force causes the object to rotate away from a stable position, it will decrease stability.

3. What is the best way to stabilize a board carried over the shoulder?

The best way to stabilize a board carried over the shoulder is to apply a counteracting moment of force in the opposite direction. This can be achieved by either holding onto the board with your hand on the same side as the shoulder carrying the board, or by using a strap or belt to secure the board to your body.

4. How can I ensure that the board remains stable while carrying it over my shoulder?

In addition to applying a counteracting moment of force, it is important to also maintain proper body mechanics while carrying a board over your shoulder. This includes keeping your back straight, your core engaged, and your shoulders level. It may also be helpful to take smaller steps and move slowly to avoid sudden movements that could disrupt the stability of the board.

5. Are there any risks associated with carrying a board over the shoulder?

Carrying a board over the shoulder can pose a risk of injury if proper precautions are not taken. The weight of the board, combined with the force of any external factors such as wind or uneven ground, can put strain on the body and potentially cause muscle strains or other injuries. It is important to use proper body mechanics and take breaks if needed to avoid any potential risks.