Moment about a point of a hammer

In summary, in order to pull out the nail at B, a clockwise moment of 590 lb⋅in must be produced around point A by the force exerted on the handle of the hammer. To determine the required magnitude of the force, the angle between the force vector and the perpendicular to the line segment between the point where the force is applied and point A must be calculated. This can be done using geometry, and the resulting angle and length can be used to calculate the required force.
Robb

Homework Statement

Probs._48_9.jpg

In order to pull out the nail at B, the force F exerted on the handle of the hammer must produce a clockwise moment of 590 lb⋅in about point A.(Figure 1)

Determine the required magnitude of force F.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

M=590lb*in

-590= -Fcos(30)(18)-Fsin(30)(5)

I'm not sure how to deal with F. I know it's simple if given the force to determine the moment but I'm a bit stumped trying to go the other way.

Physics news on Phys.org
Robb said:
590lb*in

-590= -Fcos(30)(18)-Fsin(30)(5)

I'm not sure how to deal with F. I know it's simple if given the force to determine the moment but I'm a bit stumped trying to go the other way.
How would you solve 3=x+2x?

So, F=72.9431?

Robb said:
So, F=72.9431?
Not what I get. Please post your working.

Let ##X## be the point where the force is applied to the handle.

The angle you need to use is not 30 degrees but the angle ##\alpha## between the force vector and the perpendicular to the line segment ##\overline{XA}##. You can calculate that angle using geometry, from the information given.

The Torque (moment) will be the force multiplied by ##\cos\alpha## and the length of ##\overline{XA}##.

By the way, that's one weird hammer! Based on the drawing and the dimensions given, the claw is about eight inches long! That's a gemmy, not a hammer. The drawing is not to scale. The 18 in length is not 18/5 times the 5 inch length. That's why the hammer doesn't look weird.

haruspex said:
Not what I get. Please post your working.
Sorry, -590=-F18cos(30)-5Fsin30)=32.6175

Robb said:
Sorry, -590=-F18cos(30)-5Fsin30)=32.6175
Yes.

andrewkirk said:
The angle you need to use is not 30 degrees but the angle αα\alpha between the force vector and the perpendicular to the line segment ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯XAXA¯\overline{XA}. You can calculate that angle using geometry, from the information given.
the method Robb used is valid, and quite efficient.

Likes Robb
haruspex said:
Yes.
Dang, nothing like making a mountain out of a mole hill!

haruspex said:
the method Robb used is valid, and quite efficient.
So it is. I hadn't noticed that.

Related to Moment about a point of a hammer

1. What is a moment about a point of a hammer?

A moment about a point of a hammer is a measure of the turning effect or torque produced by the force applied on the hammer at a certain distance from the point of rotation.

2. How is the moment about a point of a hammer calculated?

The moment about a point of a hammer is calculated by multiplying the force applied on the hammer by the perpendicular distance from the point of rotation to the line of action of the force.

3. Why is it important to consider the moment about a point of a hammer?

The moment about a point of a hammer is important because it determines the stability and effectiveness of the hammer when used for driving nails or other tasks. It also helps in understanding the impact of the force applied on the hammer.

4. How does the length of the hammer affect the moment about a point?

The length of the hammer affects the moment about a point as it increases the distance from the point of rotation to the line of action of the force. This results in a larger moment and can make the hammer more difficult to control.

5. Can the moment about a point of a hammer be negative?

Yes, the moment about a point of a hammer can be negative. This occurs when the force applied is in the opposite direction of the rotation and results in a clockwise rotation. A positive moment produces a counterclockwise rotation.