Mechanics question: Roller passing over a step

In summary, the gardener is trying to figure out how to move a roller of mass 85 kg over a step with a radius of 0.25 m. The moment of the force is provided by the person and the handle is attached at an angle of 45 degrees to the horizontal. If the handle was pulled horizontally, the force would need to be greater.
mtig

Homework Statement

A gardener pulls a roller of mass 85 kg over a step. The roller has a radius of 0.25 m. The handle is attached to an axle through the centre of the roller at an angle of 45 degrees to the horizontal.

Here's a link to the diagram below, it's figure 1 and 2 on question 18.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...ing a roller of mass 85kg over a step&f=false1) Determine the magnitude of the force that will just move the roller when the force is applied as shown in figure 1.

2) Determine the force which would be required if the handle was pulled horizontally.

Homework Equations

Moment of a force = force x perpendicular distance

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I don't know where to begin. I'm guessing you have to take the moments about a point but the question doesn't make sense to me. I would have thought the force would have depended on the steepness of the step which isn't given.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
First step is to find the point around which the rotation takes place. Second step is a moment balance around that point. a fraction more force and it goes, a fraction less and it doesn't. So that is the force they are asking for.

Big help is to make a free-body diagram of all the forces acting. For the moment balance, you don't need all of them, fortunately.

Likes mtig and DimosNat
The way i would solve it is the following:
You can consider a point A ,which is where the roller touches the step, as your rotation axis and you can assume that positive torque is counter-clockwise. So now you have to ask to ΣΤ>=0 (T=torque) and you will find the lowest value of F so as the roller to move.

PS: Dont forget to analyze the W in compoments or use any other methods of finding torques if you don't know this one.

Likes mtig
Giving it away eh ? Let mtig ponder over his exercise and learn from it !

BvU said:
Giving it away eh ? Let mtig ponder over his exercise and learn from it !
You are right, i thought to help him with this one and let him practise with same type of excersices after.

Thank you for the replies. I understand what the question is asking now I think.

anticlockwise moment = F x 0.25

clockwise moment = 0.25 x 85 x 9.81 x cos 45

F = 85 x 9.81 x cos 45

So F = 590N

I am still trying to understand where the moment of the forces are coming from. It seems like the force from the person is providing an anti-clockwise moment. But then the contact between the step and the roller is also providing an anticlockwise moment. Or is the contact from the step because of the result of the force applied by the person so they are the same moment?

I'm also struggling to see how the component of weight is providing a clockwise moment?

Thanks

mtig said:
But then the contact between the step and the roller is also providing an anticlockwise moment
Think again. Wrt what point are you setting up the moment balance ?

So I set up the moment balance where the edge of the roller is in contact with the step.

The force from the centre of the roller applied by the person would be my anticlockwise moment.

I am unsure where or how a component of the weight of the roller provides the opposite moment of force.

Thing to do is make the drawing ...

Likes mtig
Yes I've done one now and I understand it now, thank you for the help. What got me I think was that on moment questions I am used to a straight bar as oppose to something round.

Thanks.

Related to Mechanics question: Roller passing over a step

1. How does the height of the step affect the roller's motion?

The height of the step affects the roller's motion by increasing the potential energy of the roller as it approaches the step. This potential energy is then converted into kinetic energy as the roller moves up and over the step. The higher the step, the greater the potential energy and the more kinetic energy the roller will have as it moves over the step.

2. What is the role of friction in the roller's motion?

Friction plays a crucial role in the roller's motion over the step. As the roller moves up and over the step, friction between the roller and the surface of the step helps to slow down the roller's motion and prevent it from slipping or bouncing off the step. Without friction, the roller would continue moving at a constant velocity and may not successfully pass over the step.

3. Does the mass of the roller affect its motion over the step?

Yes, the mass of the roller does affect its motion over the step. Heavier rollers have more inertia and will require more force to accelerate and move over the step. Therefore, a heavier roller may have a harder time passing over a step compared to a lighter roller, all other factors being equal.

4. How does the speed of the roller impact its motion over the step?

The speed of the roller also affects its motion over the step. A roller with a higher initial speed will have more kinetic energy and momentum, allowing it to more easily pass over the step. However, if the speed is too high, the roller may overshoot the step and potentially lose contact with the surface, causing it to fall or lose momentum.

5. What other factors can affect the roller's motion over the step?

In addition to the height of the step, friction, mass, and speed, other factors that can affect the roller's motion over the step include the angle of the step, the shape and size of the roller, and any external forces acting on the roller such as air resistance or applied forces. These factors can all impact the roller's trajectory and speed as it passes over the step.