Molecular States, Symmetry and Allowed Transitions

In summary, for an electric dipole transition to occur between two states, the transition dipole moment must be non-zero. This can be determined by considering the irreducible symmetry representations of each state/operator. In the case of diatomic hydrogen, for a \sigma_{g} \rightarrow \sigma_{u} transition, it is the overall many-electron state that must be considered, rather than the individual single electron states.
tomothy
I have a question about allowed transitions and molecular states. For an electric dipole transition between two states (say molecular or atomic) to have a non-zero probability of occurring, the transition dipole moment [itex]\langle \psi_{f}|\textbf{μ}\left|\psi_{i} \right \rangle[/itex] must be non-zero. This can be determined by considering the irreducible symmetry representations to which each state/operator belongs i.e. [itex]\Gamma ( \psi_{f} ) \otimes \Gamma \left(x,y,z \right) \otimes \Gamma \left(\psi_{i}\right) [/itex] must contain the totally symmetric irreducible representation at least once.

My question is, are the initial states and final states to be considered the overall molecular states or the individual single electron states? e.g. in diatomic hydrogen, for a [itex]\sigma_{g} \rightarrow \sigma_{u}[/itex] transition, are the initial and final states the electron states of the electron being excited or the overall initial and final molecular states (i.e. of both electrons)?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is the many-electron state that must be considered.

Related to Molecular States, Symmetry and Allowed Transitions

1. What are molecular states?

Molecular states refer to the quantized energy levels that a molecule can possess. These energy levels are a result of the different arrangements of electrons within the molecule.

2. How does symmetry affect molecular states?

Symmetry plays a critical role in determining the allowed energy transitions within a molecule. Symmetry operations, such as rotations and reflections, can either preserve or break the symmetry of a molecule, which in turn affects the energy levels and allowed transitions.

3. What are allowed transitions in molecular states?

Allowed transitions refer to the changes in energy levels that a molecule can undergo while still following the laws of quantum mechanics. These transitions are determined by the symmetry of the molecule and the selection rules that govern the interaction between the molecule and external stimuli, such as light.

4. How are molecular states and transitions relevant in chemistry?

Molecular states and transitions are essential in understanding the physical and chemical properties of molecules. They help explain phenomena such as absorption and emission of light, as well as the stability and reactivity of molecules.

5. Can molecular states and transitions be experimentally observed?

Yes, molecular states and transitions can be observed through various spectroscopic techniques, such as UV-Vis spectroscopy, IR spectroscopy, and NMR spectroscopy. These techniques allow scientists to study the energy levels and transitions of molecules in a controlled environment.