Modules - Generating and Cogenerating Classes - Bland - Chapter 4, Section 4.1

In summary, in Chapter 4, Section 4.1 of Paul E. Bland's book "Rings and Their Modules," the author discusses generating and cogenerating classes and presents Proposition 4.1.1, which states that every R-module is the homomorphic image of a free R-module. The proof of this proposition involves showing that for any element $m$ in an R-module $M$, there exists a finite set $\Delta$ and an epimorphism $\phi: R^{(\Delta)} \to M$ such that $\phi(e_i)$ generates $M$. This is proven by using the canonical basis for the free R-module and showing that the set $\{\phi(e_i)\}_{i=1}
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Paul E. Bland's book, "Rings and Their Modules".

I am trying to understand Chapter 4, Section 4.1 on generating and cogenerating classes and need help with the proof of Proposition 4.1.1.

Proposition 4.1.1 and its proof read as follows:

View attachment 3649
View attachment 3650

I need some help with what seems a fairly intuitive step in the logic of the proof of \(\displaystyle (3) \Longrightarrow (4)\) - see text above.In the proof of \(\displaystyle (3) \Longrightarrow (4)\) Bland writes:

" ... ... Thus, by (3) there is a finite set \(\displaystyle F \subseteq \Delta\) and an epimorphism \(\displaystyle \phi \ : \ R^{ ( F ) } \longrightarrow M\).

If we let

\(\displaystyle F = \{ 1,2, \ ... \ ... \ ,n \}\)

and if

\(\displaystyle \{ e_i \}_{i =1}^n\)

is the canonical basis for the free \(\displaystyle R\)-module \(\displaystyle R^{ ( n ) }\), then the finite set

\(\displaystyle X = \{ \phi (e_i) \}_{i =1}^n\)

will generate \(\displaystyle M\). ... ... "
My question is the following:

Why, exactly, if \(\displaystyle \{ e_i \}_{i =1}^n\) is the canonical basis for the free \(\displaystyle R\)-module \(\displaystyle R^{ ( n ) }\), are we guaranteed that \(\displaystyle X\) will generate \(\displaystyle M\)? [this does seem intuitive - but why EXACTLY! ]I would really appreciate some help with this issue.Peter***EDIT***

I now have a second question:

In the above text, Bland writes:

" ... ... Every R-module is the homomorphic image of a free R-module, ... ... "

So if that is true, then we have a set \(\displaystyle \Delta\) and a homomorphism \(\displaystyle R^{ ( \Delta ) } \longrightarrow M\) ... ...

... ... BUT ... ... Bland claims we have an epimorphism \(\displaystyle R^{ ( \Delta ) } \longrightarrow M\) ...

How do we know that we not only have a homomorphism, but that we have an epimorphism?

Hep will be appreciated ...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Take $m \in M$. Since $\phi : R^{(n)} \to M$ is surjective, there exists an $x \in R^{(n)}$ such that $\phi(x) = m$. Since $\{e_i\}_{i = 1}^n$ is the canonical basis for $R^{(n)}$, there are unique $R$-scalars $r_1,\ldots, r_n$ such that $x = \sum_{i = 1}^n r_i e_i$. Since $\phi$ is an $R$-homomorphism,

\(\displaystyle m = \phi(x) = \sum_{i = 1}^n r_i \phi(e_i).\)

As $m$ is arbitrary, this shows that $\{\phi(e_i)\}_{i = 1}^n$ generates $M$.

Euge said:
Take $m \in M$. Since $\phi : R^{(n)} \to M$ is surjective, there exists an $x \in R^{(n)}$ such that $\phi(x) = m$. Since $\{e_i\}_{i = 1}^n$ is the canonical basis for $R^{(n)}$, there are unique $R$-scalars $r_1,\ldots, r_n$ such that $x = \sum_{i = 1}^n r_i e_i$. Since $\phi$ is an $R$-homomorphism,

\(\displaystyle m = \phi(x) = \sum_{i = 1}^n r_i \phi(e_i).\)

As $m$ is arbitrary, this shows that $\{\phi(e_i)\}_{i = 1}^n$ generates $M$.
Thanks for your help, Euge ...

... much appreciated ...Can you please help with the second question ... ... as follows ... ...

In the above text, Bland writes:

" ... ... Every R-module is the homomorphic image of a free R-module, ... ... "

So if that is true, then we have a set Δ and a homomorphism \(\displaystyle R^{ ( \Delta ) } \longrightarrow M\) ... ...

... ... BUT ... ... Bland claims we have an epimorphism \(\displaystyle R^{ ( \Delta ) } \longrightarrow M\) ...

How do we know that we not only have a homomorphism, but that we have an epimorphism?

Hope you can help,

Peter
Peter

Last edited:
Since $M$ is the homomorphic image of a free $R$-module, $M = \phi(R^{(\Delta)})$ for some set $\Delta$ and some $R$-homomorphism $\phi$. This $\phi$ must then be an epimorphism from $R^{(\Delta)}$ onto $M$.

Euge said:
Since $M$ is the homomorphic image of a free $R$-module, $M = \phi(R^{(\Delta)})$ for some set $\Delta$ and some $R$-homomorphism $\phi$. This $\phi$ must then be an epimorphism from $R^{(\Delta)}$ onto $M$.

Thanks Euge ... most helpful ... as usual ...

Peter

Related to Modules - Generating and Cogenerating Classes - Bland - Chapter 4, Section 4.1

1. What are modules in the context of computer science?

Modules in computer science refer to a self-contained unit of code that can be reused in different programs. They typically contain classes, functions, and variables that serve a particular purpose or perform a specific task.

2. How are modules generated in programming languages?

Modules can be generated in different ways depending on the programming language. In some languages, modules are created by using a keyword or a specific syntax. In others, modules can be imported from external sources or libraries.

3. What is the difference between generating and cogenerating classes in modules?

Generating classes in modules refers to creating new classes within the module itself. These classes can then be used by other programs that import the module. Cogenerating classes, on the other hand, involves creating classes that can have access to the internal structure of the module they are created in.

4. Why are modules useful in programming?

Modules offer several benefits in programming, including code organization, reusability, and encapsulation. They allow for better management and maintenance of code, as well as making it easier to share code between different programs.

5. Can modules be used in all programming languages?

While modules are a common feature in many programming languages, not all languages support them. Some languages have alternative ways of achieving similar functionality, while others do not have the concept of modules at all.