Modular Forms, Dimension, Valence Formula

In summary: So for 12/12=1. For 13/12=1. So for 12, the floor would be 1.In summary, the conversation discusses the dimension of a matrix, specifically ##M_{24}##, and the confusion surrounding the use of (mod 12) notation. The use of the square brackets to denote equivalent classes and the floor function are explained, leading to the conclusion that the dimension of ##M_{24}## is 3. The conversation also touches on the dimensions of other matrices such as ##M_2## and ##M_{28}##.
binbagsss

Homework Statement

What is the dimension of ##M_{24}##?

Homework Equations

attached
modweightdim.png

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I am confused what the (mod 12) is referring to- is it referring to the ##[k/12]## where the square brackets denote an equivalent class and the ## k \equiv 2## / ##k \notequiv 2## or just the ##[k/12]##?

I am confused because I thought ##k \equiv 2## (mod 12) only when ##k=24##, so for the dimension ##M_2## we would need to look at the top definition, however clearly the bottom has been used, which makes me think that the '(mod ##12##)' is only referring to the square brackets?

In which case for ##M_{24}## I need to look at the top line and conclude ## dim M_{24}=3##, however if (mod 12) is referring to both then I need to look at the bottom line and conclude ##dim M_{24}=2##, however in this case it makes no sense how we have got ##dim M_2=0 ##

Thanks .

Physics news on Phys.org
binbagsss said:

Homework Statement

What is the dimension of ##M_{24}##?

Homework Equations

attachedView attachment 195345

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I am confused what the (mod 12) is referring to- is it referring to the ##[k/12]## where the square brackets denote an equivalent class and the ## k \equiv 2## / ##k \notequiv 2## or just the ##[k/12]##?

I am confused because I thought ##k \equiv 2## (mod 12) only when ##k=24##, so for the dimension ##M_2## we would need to look at the top definition, however clearly the bottom has been used, which makes me think that the '(mod ##12##)' is only referring to the square brackets?

In which case for ##M_{24}## I need to look at the top line and conclude ## dim M_{24}=3##, however if (mod 12) is referring to both then I need to look at the bottom line and conclude ##dim M_{24}=2##, however in this case it makes no sense how we have got ##dim M_2=0 ##

Thanks .
##24 \equiv 0 \operatorname{mod}12##
##2 \equiv 2 \operatorname{mod}12##

Likes binbagsss
fresh_42 said:
##2 \equiv 2 \operatorname{mod}12##

So
##4 \equiv 4 \operatorname{mod}12##

So from the definition above ##dim M_{4} =[k/12]=[4/12]##;

how is ##[4/12]## 1? Isn't this zero too? what do the square brackets denote.

E.g ##14\equiv 2## (mod 12) so am I using the original ##k## : ##[14/12]## or ##[2/12]##?

binbagsss said:
S

E.g ##14\equiv 2## (mod 12) so am I using the original ##k## : ##[14/12]## or ##[2/12]##?

Oh it doesn't matter, [ ] denote equivalent classes, so it's 'the remainder of the division' which is ##2## in both of these cases?

Can I just test my understanding here- is ##dim M_{28}=[k/12]+1=5##?

Last edited:
binbagsss said:
Oh it doesn't matter, [ ] denote equivalent classes, so it's 'the remainder of the division' which is ##2## in both of these cases?

Can I just test my understanding here- is ##dim M_{28}=[k/12]+1=5##?

No I'm lost ##dim M_{12}=2## but I am getting:

##12 \equiv 0## mod 12, so I'm looking at ##[k/12]+1##, if these [ ] denote equivalent classes a number divisible by 12 is represented by the element ##0## so I get ##0+1=1##...

Unless these [ ] square brackets denote taking the integer or something? what do these square brackets mean? thanks.

binbagsss said:
No I'm lost ##dim M_{12}=2## but I am getting:

##12 \equiv 0## mod 12, so I'm looking at ##[k/12]+1##, if these [ ] denote equivalent classes a number divisible by 12 is represented by the element ##0## so I get ##0+1=1##...

Unless these [ ] square brackets denote taking the integer or something? what do these square brackets mean? thanks.

The brackets are the floor function. The greatest integer less than or equal to the quotient.

Related to Modular Forms, Dimension, Valence Formula

1. What are modular forms?

Modular forms are complex-valued functions that satisfy certain transformation properties under modular transformations. They are an important tool in number theory and have applications in various branches of mathematics and physics.

2. What is the dimension of the space of modular forms?

The dimension of the space of modular forms depends on the level and weight of the forms. For a given level and weight, the dimension can be calculated using the valence formula.

3. How is the valence formula used to calculate the dimension of modular forms?

The valence formula, also known as the Ramanujan-Petersson conjecture, gives a way to calculate the dimension of the space of modular forms by counting the number of cusps and poles at cusps of a modular form. It is a powerful tool in the study of modular forms.

4. Can modular forms be used in other areas of mathematics?

Yes, modular forms have applications in number theory, algebraic geometry, representation theory, and mathematical physics. They also have connections to elliptic curves, Galois representations, and the Langlands program.

5. How are modular forms related to modular curves?

Modular forms are intimately connected to modular curves, which are algebraic curves defined over the complex numbers that parametrize equivalence classes of elliptic curves with additional structures. Modular forms are used to define functions on modular curves and to study their properties.