Modern Physics, Mech, or ElectroMag?

In summary, Modern Physics and Mechanics 1 are both good courses to take, but if you're interested in learning about waves and relativity, then you might want to consider taking Electromagnetism 1 too.
WestofX
I have three courses to choose from, pick two. They are Introduction to Modern Physics, Mechanics 1, and Electromagnetism 1. Which should I choose? I have picked Modern Physics and Mechanics 1, but I almost want to do Mechanics 1 and Electromagnetism 1, but since it's my first semester at the school.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Won't you be taking all three eventually anyway?

Anyway, I think at most schools modern physics I is taken concurrently or before mechanics I or e&m I (assuming that for you modern physics I == physics III). Maybe someone can back me up on this.

Dishsoap said:
Anyway, I think at most schools modern physics I is taken concurrently or before mechanics I or e&m I (assuming that for you modern physics I == physics III). Maybe someone can back me up on this.

At my school, modern physics--physics III--is taken at the same time as classical mechanics, with EM coming the next semester.

Dishsoap said:
Won't you be taking all three eventually anyway?

Did you mean after? Might be a good idea to edit the post to make what you're trying to say make sense. :pTo the OP, what does your modern physics class cover? Is it SR and other such things? If so taking it before E&M is a good idea. What is your math background? Surely they aren't letting you do E&M with studying vector calculus first.

Student100 said:
To the OP, what does your modern physics class cover? Is it SR and other such things? If so taking it before E&M is a good idea. What is your math background? Surely they aren't letting you do E&M with studying vector calculus first.
Waves, relativity, physics on atomic/subatomic level, statistical physics.
I have done the calc sequence and diffy q.

WestofX said:
Waves, relativity, physics on atomic/subatomic level, statistical physics.
I have done the calc sequence and diffy q.

Okay, so you're further along than most freshmen, at least here in the US. Yes, do mechanics and modern if you're set on doing two physics classes. Study in E&M could benefit from the modern physics course(SR in particular). Are you enrolled in Linear Algebra this semester or have you done the intro class already?

Student100 said:
Did you mean after? Might be a good idea to edit the post to make what you're trying to say make sense. :p

No... at least at my school, physics III is usually taken at the same time or before mechanics I and E&M I. I don't think that this is abnormal...

Student100 said:
Okay, so you're further along than most freshmen, at least here in the US. Yes, do mechanics and modern if you're set on doing two physics classes. Study in E&M could benefit from the modern physics course(SR in particular).Are you enrolled in Linear Algebra this semester or have you done the intro class already?

Sorry, I wasn't clear before. I am a transfer student. It's my first semester at *this* school. I was at a CC now I am at a university for my upper division. I will be doing a sets and logic course for this semester then linear algebra (mandated sequence).

I'll do the modern and mechanics one then. Mechanics looks like an extended treatment of physics 2. Is it along those lines work wise or is it way more intense? Thanks.

Which textbook does the mechanics course use?

jtbell said:
Which textbook does the mechanics course use?

Title: CLASSICAL MECHANICS
Author: TAYLOR
Edition: 2005
ISBN: 9781891389221

So this is an upper division classical mechanics class? Did you already have a classical mechanics class on the level of Kleppner?

When the OP says E&M 1 and Mechanics 1 he most likely means the courses at the Junior/Senior Level, since he can't be taking Modern Physics without the Physics 1&2 at the Freshman/Sophomore Level.

WestofX said:
I have three courses to choose from, pick two. They are Introduction to Modern Physics, Mechanics 1, and Electromagnetism 1. Which should I choose? I have picked Modern Physics and Mechanics 1, but I almost want to do Mechanics 1 and Electromagnetism 1, but since it's my first semester at the school.

Thanks.

The math in Mechanics and E&M are basically the same; one is not worse or better than the other when combined with Modern Physics in one semester. Though it would be beneficial to have seen Classical Mechanics before you study Quantum Mechanics (which I assume you'll take next year), it really isn't a hard and fast requirement and I would just pick the one you're most interested in learning at the moment.

Related to Modern Physics, Mech, or ElectroMag?

1. What is the difference between classical physics and modern physics?

Classical physics is based on the laws of motion and gravity developed by Isaac Newton in the 17th century. It describes the behavior of large objects in the macroscopic world. Modern physics, on the other hand, explores the behavior of particles in the subatomic and atomic level. It includes theories such as quantum mechanics and relativity.

2. What is the role of mathematics in modern physics?

Mathematics is essential in modern physics as it provides a precise language to describe and predict the behavior of particles and systems. The use of complex mathematical equations helps to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy.

3. How does electromagnetism affect our daily lives?

Electromagnetism plays a crucial role in our daily lives. It is responsible for the generation and transmission of electricity, which powers our homes and devices. Electromagnetic waves, such as radio waves and microwaves, are used in communication and technology. Electromagnetism also allows us to use tools such as MRI machines for medical imaging.

4. What are some real-world applications of quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics has numerous real-world applications, including the development of transistors, lasers, and semiconductors, which are used in electronic devices. It also plays a crucial role in modern technologies such as GPS, solar cells, and quantum computing. In addition, quantum mechanics is used in medical imaging and drug development.

5. How do the principles of relativity affect our understanding of the universe?

The principles of relativity, developed by Albert Einstein, have revolutionized our understanding of the universe. They describe how objects behave at high speeds and in strong gravitational fields. This has led to the development of technologies such as GPS and has helped us to understand concepts such as black holes and the expanding universe.