Modern Physics by Serway: Reviews

In summary, Modern Physics by Serway is highly recommended by both Daniel and Integral as a great intermediate level text. It covers all the necessary material and can be found at a reasonable price. Krane, Gasiorowicz, Fishbane, and Bernstein are all respected authors in the field of modern physics, and their books are also recommended. Tipler and Llewellyn's Modern Physics is another great option that covers the subject matter well. Beiser's Modern Physics is also mentioned, but not as highly recommended. Overall, there are many excellent options for modern physics textbooks, but it seems that Halliday, Resnick, and Krane are a top choice.
khari
Has anyone ever used Modern Physics by Serway? Is it any good?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use either Halliday+Resnick or Feynman.U can can hardly find anything better...

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Use either Halliday+Resnick or Feynman.U can can hardly find anything better...

Daniel.

Halliday, Resnick, and Krane.

Integral and I are both buddies with Krane. You can't leave him out! :biggrin:

As far Modern Physic goes, Krane has a very respectable intermediate level Modern Physics text all of his own. Amazon

YOWSER! what a price tag on the new one! I'll bet a used one reads the same!

I was given a signed copy of the 1st edition.. somewhere in my moves it escaped. Of all my books how did that one stray? I don't know what happened to it.

Last edited:
Integral said:
I was given a signed copy of the 1st edition.. somewhere in my moves it escaped. Of all my books how did that one stray? I don't know what happened to it.

Oh no! Are you sure that its gone? Couldn't it still be in a box somewhere? Thanks a lot. Now I feel bad.

I have a LQG solution from a person of note, on a napkin! Honest to goodness. She said that there is twenty years of work on that napkin. :smile: I told her that's a little scary. If she's right I plan to frame it.

I have Modern Physics by Gasiorowicz, Fishbane and Bernstein..quite a good book.

Is Halliday Resnick and Krane the same as Halliday Resnick and Walker, only a different edition?

I double that doubt too..
and how do you rate modern physics by Arthur Beiser.

I recommend :
Modern Physics,
by Ralph Llewellyn, Paul A. Tipler

Tipler does a really good job at laying out the broad coursework the subject entails. I had Llewellyn as the prof for that class and I have to say he gave a mangificent performance, too bad his students were of low quality.:frown: I guess I have some bias?

Related to Modern Physics by Serway: Reviews

1. What is the level of difficulty of "Modern Physics" by Serway?

The level of difficulty of "Modern Physics" by Serway is considered to be intermediate. It assumes a basic understanding of fundamental physics concepts and mathematics, but does not require advanced knowledge or skills.

2. Is "Modern Physics" by Serway a good textbook for self-study?

Yes, "Modern Physics" by Serway is a great textbook for self-study. It is well-organized and presents the material in a clear and concise manner, making it easy to follow and understand on your own.

3. Does "Modern Physics" by Serway cover all the major topics in modern physics?

Yes, "Modern Physics" by Serway covers all the major topics in modern physics, including relativity, quantum mechanics, and atomic and nuclear physics. It also includes discussions on recent advances in the field.

4. Are there any helpful resources to supplement "Modern Physics" by Serway?

Yes, there are many helpful resources available to supplement "Modern Physics" by Serway. These include online study guides, practice problems and solutions, and interactive simulations and animations.

5. Is "Modern Physics" by Serway suitable for undergraduate students?

Yes, "Modern Physics" by Serway is designed for undergraduate students studying physics or related fields. It provides a comprehensive introduction to modern physics concepts and theories at the undergraduate level.