Modern Physics Books for Laypeople: Recommendations like George Gamow's

• Thread starter yogiwp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary, the conversation is about a person who is new to a community and is looking for recommendations for books on modern physics that are easy for a non-expert to understand. They mention enjoying books by George Gamow and are considering purchasing books by Brian Greene. Another person suggests reading books by John Gribbin. The conversation also briefly touches on the idea of going back to school to learn physics.
yogiwp
Hi I'm new here.

I enjoyed reading George Gamow's books, and obviously I'm wanting more. Any recomendations? I'm looking for modern physics topics presented gently for layperson (i.e. like Gamow's books).

I'm thinking to buy Brian Greene's books: "The Elegant Universe" and "The Fabric of the Cosmos". Are they good? Or should I buy some other book?

Thanks.

P.S.
Gamow is great, I wished I read those books when I was in high school. I've never thought after more than 10 years programming computers I'm actually thinking to go back to school to learn physics. That's actually not possible at the moment so I guess I should stick with books.

Physics news on Phys.org
Read anything you can find by John Gribbin.

Related to Modern Physics Books for Laypeople: Recommendations like George Gamow's

1. What is the purpose of "Modern Physics Books for Laypeople"?

The purpose of these books is to explain complex concepts and theories in modern physics in a way that is understandable for non-experts. They aim to make these topics accessible and interesting to a wider audience.

2. Who is George Gamow?

George Gamow was a Russian-American theoretical physicist and cosmologist, known for his work on the Big Bang theory and the concept of radioactive decay. He is also known for his popular science books, particularly "One, Two, Three...Infinity" and "Mr. Tompkins" series, which were widely read and praised for their clarity and humor.

3. Are these books suitable for someone with no background in physics?

Yes, these books are written for laypeople with little to no background in physics. They use simple language and analogies to explain complex concepts, making them accessible for anyone with an interest in the subject.

4. Are there any other recommendable authors or books in this genre?

Yes, there are many other great authors and books in this genre. Some other popular names include Stephen Hawking, Brian Greene, and Neil deGrasse Tyson. Some recommended books are "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, and "Astrophysics for People in a Hurry" by Neil deGrasse Tyson.

5. Can these books provide a comprehensive understanding of modern physics?

While these books are a great starting point for understanding modern physics, they may not provide a comprehensive understanding of the subject. They are meant to introduce and explain key concepts, but for a more in-depth understanding, further reading and study may be necessary.