Modeling Tidal Changes with Cosine Functions

In summary, the problem is to model the depth of water at different times using the equation y= A cos(Bx+C) +D, with given values of high tide at 4am with a depth of 6 meters and low tide at 10 am with a depth of 2 meters. A=2, D=4, B=pi/6, and C=-2pi/3 are the correct values to use in the equation.
jlhmom

Homework Statement

High tide at 4am with a depth of 6 meters. Low tide at 10 am with a depth of 2 meters. Model the problem using the equation to show the depth of the water t hours after midnight.

Homework Equations

y= A cos(Bx+C) +D

The Attempt at a Solution

: I am not getting the values that I should I think.

I have A=2, D=4, B=pi/6, C=pi/6. They don't seem right though.

Physics news on Phys.org
jlhmom said:

Homework Statement

High tide at 4am with a depth of 6 meters. Low tide at 10 am with a depth of 2 meters. Model the problem using the equation to show the depth of the water t hours after midnight.

Homework Equations

y= A cos(Bx+C) +D

The Attempt at a Solution

: I am not getting the values that I should I think.

I have A=2, D=4, B=pi/6, C=pi/6. They don't seem right though.

No, it's not right. Your C value is wrong. You need to have Bx+C equal to 0 when x=4 and equal to pi when x=10.

Last edited:
Ok. thanks Dick. I got -2pi/3 for a better answer for C.

Related to Modeling Tidal Changes with Cosine Functions

What is a cosine function?

A cosine function is a mathematical function that describes the relationship between the cosine of an angle and the length of a line segment within a right triangle. It is often used to model periodic phenomena such as tides.

How are cosine functions used to model tides?

Cosine functions are used to model tides because they are periodic, meaning they repeat in a predictable pattern over time. The changing tides can be represented by the oscillating values of the cosine function as the moon and sun's gravitational forces affect the Earth's oceans.

What is the relationship between cosine functions and tidal ranges?

The amplitude, or height, of a cosine function is directly related to the tidal range, which is the difference between high and low tides. A higher amplitude cosine function will correspond to a larger tidal range, while a lower amplitude function will correspond to a smaller tidal range.

Can cosine functions accurately predict tides?

While cosine functions can provide a general prediction of tides based on historical data and known astronomical factors, they are not always accurate due to other factors such as storm surges and local topography. Therefore, they should be used as a guide rather than a precise predictor.

Are there any limitations to using cosine functions to model tides?

One limitation of using cosine functions to model tides is that they assume a perfectly circular orbit of the moon around the Earth and a perfectly circular shape of the Earth's coastline. In reality, both of these factors are constantly changing and can affect the accuracy of the model.