Harbour Tides: Calculating Safe Docking Time for Cruise Ships

• Thread starter davedave
  • Start date
In summary, at high tide the average depth of water in a harbour is 25m and at low tide the average depth is 9cm. The tides in the harbour complete one cycle approximately every 12 hours. The first high tide occurs at 5:45am. A cosine function that relates the depth of the water in the harbour to the time in hours is given by d(t) = 8cos(∏(t-5.75)/6) + 17.This cosine equation has a maximum of 25 and a minimum of 9 but what units? If d(t) is in meters, your maximum is correct but your minimum is 9 meters, not 9 cm. Or was that a typo and you mean 9 meters
davedave
At high tide, the average depth of water in a harbour is 25m and at low tide the average depth is 9cm. The tides in the harbour complete one cycle approximately every 12 hours. The first high tide occurs at 5:45am. A cosine function that relates the depth of the water in the harbour to the time in hours is given by

d(t) = 8cos(∏(t-5.75)/6) + 17

A large cruise ship needs at least 14m of water to dock safely. For how many hours per cycle, to the nearest hour. can a cruise ship dock safely.

my method
let 14 = 8cos(∏(t-5.75)/6) + 17

-3/8 = cos(∏(t-5.75)/6) equation (1)

let r = reference angle=inverse cos(3/8) = 1.186399552

Since the cosine equation (1) above is equal to a negative value, we work in quadrants 2 and 3

so, the two standard position angles are a = ∏ - r = 1.955193101
b = ∏ + r = 4.327992206

now, solving for t in equation (1) with these two angles gives the two times

t1 = 9.4841433761 and t2 = 14.01585624

hence, t2-t1 = 4.531712478 ≈ 5 hours

One of my friends says I am right. Another one of my friends says I am wrong.

Why am I right or wrong? Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
You have found two times at which the depth is 14m. Have you checked whether it's higher in (t1,t2) or in (t2,t1)? Here's a quick check: the average depth is 17m, so would you expect the ok period to be more or less than half the complete cycle?

I immediately see one thing that is either a massive error or a typo.

You say: "At high tide, the average depth of water in a harbour is 25m and at low tide the average depth is 9cm. The tides in the harbour complete one cycle approximately every 12 hours. The first high tide occurs at 5:45am. A cosine function that relates the depth of the water in the harbour to the time in hours is given by

d(t) = 8cos(∏(t-5.75)/6) + 17"
That has a maximum of 25 and a minimum of 9 but what units? If d(t) is in meters, your maximum is correct but your minimum is 9 meters, not 9 cm. Or was that a typo and you mean 9 meters? 9 cm to 25 m would be a greater range than the Bay of Fundy!

Think about what haruspex said, but also I'd take issue with your rounding of "≈ 5 hours" when the question clearly gives an example of time resolution down to at least quarter hours, and arguably 5-minute precision.

On the other hand, I'm, shocked - shocked, I tell you! - at the question's imprecision in the length of a tide cycle.

(In response to Halls, I reckon the formula was in the question, so I'm voting "typo").

The 9cm low tide depth has to be a typo. The greatest tidal range in the world is at the Bay of Fundy, in Canada between New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. The maximum range is 16.3 m. If we assume that the OP meant an average depth of 9 m., the tidal range in the posted problem is about that of the Bay of Fundy.

yes 9cm is a typo. It should be 9m. I've just let my 3rd friend check my solution. He said my answer is wrong. What went wrong in my solution?

davedave said:
What went wrong in my solution?
Did you understand what I asked you in post #2?

Related to Harbour Tides: Calculating Safe Docking Time for Cruise Ships

1. Is there a definitive right or wrong answer in science?

No, science is a constantly evolving field and what is considered right or wrong can change as new evidence is discovered.

2. How do I know if my answer is correct in science?

In science, the accuracy of an answer is determined by how well it aligns with current knowledge and evidence. Conducting thorough research and experimentation can help determine the validity of an answer.

3. Can my answer be partially right and partially wrong in science?

Yes, in science an answer can be partially correct and partially incorrect. This is often the case when there is not enough evidence to fully support a hypothesis.

4. What happens when my answer is proven wrong in science?

In science, it is common for answers to be revised or even completely discarded as new evidence is discovered. This is a normal and important part of the scientific process.

5. Is there a way to confirm the accuracy of my answer in science?

In science, the accuracy of an answer can be confirmed through replication of experiments and peer review by other scientists. This helps to ensure that the answer is supported by evidence and is not solely based on personal opinion.