Modeling Soccer Ball Flight Path with Drag and Magnus Forces | Extended Essay"

In summary, the conversation is about a student's attempt to model the flight path of a soccer ball for their Extended Essay. The student has a model for a basic kick, but wants to add drag and Magnus forces to make it more accurate. They are seeking help with finding the appropriate drag coefficient for a soccer ball and how it changes with velocity. There are also two major conceptual errors in the student's attempt to model the situation.
Grantismo

Homework Statement

For my Extended Essay I am modeling the flight path of a soccer ball under various conditions. Currently, I have a model for an extremely basic soccer kick with no spin and only gravitational forces, with no drag. My goal is to model the kick firstly with the addition of Drag forces and finally with the addition of the Magnus force.

Homework Equations

Basic Projectile Flight in a vacuum on Earth(v=km/hr):
x=(5v/18)Cos[tex]\vartheta[/tex]Sin[tex]\beta[/tex]t,
y=(5v/18)Cos[tex]\vartheta[/tex]Cos[tex]\beta[/tex]t
z=-4.9t[tex]^{2}[/tex] + (10 v/36)Sin[tex]\vartheta[/tex]t

Drag Force:
F=-(1/2)pv[tex]^{2}[/tex]CdA
(on an additional note, what units should be used for these variables?)

The Attempt at a Solution

Initially I attempted to model the situation like this:
x=-(1/4m)p((5v/18)Cos[tex]\vartheta[/tex]Sin[tex]\beta[/tex])[tex]^{2}[/tex]CdAt[tex]^{2}[/tex]+(5v/18)Cos[tex]\vartheta[/tex]Sin[tex]\beta[/tex]t,
y=-(1/4m)p((5v/18)Cos[tex]\vartheta[/tex]Cos[tex]\beta[/tex])[tex]^{2}[/tex]CdAt[tex]^{2}[/tex]+(5v/18)Cos[tex]\vartheta[/tex]Cos[tex]\beta[/tex]t
z=((-(1/4m)p(-9.8t+(5v/18)Sin[tex]\vartheta[/tex])[tex]^{2}[/tex]CdA)-4.9)t[tex]^{2}[/tex] + (5v/18)Sin[tex]\vartheta[/tex]t

As I was looking for an appropriate drag coefficient for a soccer ball, I learned about the phenomenon known as Drag Crisis, where as the Reynolds number increases, the drag coefficient drops. Hence, I would need some sort of mathematical representation of this drop as a function of velocity in order to accurately model the flight path. I am simply asking for some help to this effect, whether it is resources or an actual function. Any help would be appreciated.

I am modeling this situation using Mathematica, so if anyone wants the code or actual file, I would be more than happy to provide it.

Physics news on Phys.org
You know [tex] \vec{v} [/tex] and [tex] F_{drag} [/tex] is not a constant during the flight, do you?

There are two major conceptual errors I notice in your solution,
First, you separated the x, y, and z component. The drag force ([tex] F_{drag} [/tex]) is not a linear combination to [tex] \vec{v}_x, \vec{v}_y, \mbox{ and } \vec{v}_z [/tex]. You have no reason to separate them into 3 independent component.
Secondly, you didn't address the fact that the direction and magnitude of F is changing with respect to time t.

:-p

Related to Modeling Soccer Ball Flight Path with Drag and Magnus Forces | Extended Essay"

1. What is the purpose of modeling soccer ball flight path with drag and magnus forces?

The purpose of this extended essay is to explore the factors that affect the flight path of a soccer ball, specifically the forces of drag and magnus. By creating a mathematical model, we can better understand and predict the trajectory of a soccer ball and potentially improve performance on the field.

2. How do drag and magnus forces affect the flight of a soccer ball?

Drag force is caused by air resistance and acts in the opposite direction of the ball's motion, slowing it down. Magnus force, on the other hand, is created by the spin of the ball and can cause it to curve in a particular direction. Both of these forces play a significant role in determining the flight path of a soccer ball.

3. What factors influence the magnitude of drag and magnus forces?

The magnitude of drag force is affected by the speed and size of the ball, as well as the air density and surface roughness of the ball. Magnus force is influenced by the spin rate, velocity, and diameter of the ball. Other factors such as temperature and humidity can also impact these forces.

4. How accurate is the mathematical model used to simulate soccer ball flight?

The accuracy of the model depends on the assumptions and simplifications made in the calculations. While the model may not perfectly replicate real-life scenarios, it can still provide valuable insights and predictions about the flight of a soccer ball.

5. How can the results of this extended essay be applied to real-world situations?

The understanding gained from this extended essay can be applied to improve soccer ball design, as well as assist players and coaches in predicting and manipulating the flight of the ball. It can also be used to analyze and improve the performance of goalkeepers and other players who must anticipate the trajectory of the ball during a game.