Modeling Simple Harmonic Motion of a Spring: A Differential Equations Paper

In summary, the speaker is discussing a project for their differential equations class where they must choose a real-world event that can be modeled using ordinary linear differential equations. Their professor has given vague requirements but expects them to solve the equations, plot them on Mathematica, and analyze the results. The speaker asks for suggestions on a suitable event to model, preferably related to electrical engineering. One suggestion is to model simple harmonic motion of a spring in an LRC circuit.
b2386
Hi all,

As part of my differential equations class, I must choose a real-world event that can be modeled through a system of ordinary linear differential equations and write a five page paper on it. My professor was vague on the requirements but basically wants us to solve the equations, plot them on mathematica, and analyze the results.

A couple examples of the expected difficulty level of the ODE model are (1) describing the quantitative relationship among lion, zebra, and hyena populations in the African Savannah (the zebra population at a given time depends upon the population of lions and hyenas) and (2) describing the quantitative relationship amoung three interconnected tanks with various concentrations of a particular solute (ex. all three tanks are being filled by an exterior hose with a unique concentration of solution at a unique rate. If all three tanks are connected together by pipes with the solution flowing among tanks as well as entering through the three hoses and exiting the entire tank systems through a hole in each tank, at what rate do the concentrations of each tank change?)

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas for an event to model. My major is electrical engineering, and I am sure there are numerous instances of differential equations in this field. However, I have not began any engineering classes yet so their applicability to that subject is unknown to me at this point. So if someone has any interesting and suitable ideas (preferably involving EE), I would love to hear them.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are an EE major you could harmonic oscillators, which occur in LRC circuits and are pretty easy to cover.

I had to do a similar project. I chose to model simple harmonic motion of a spring:
my'' + cy' + ky = f(t)
m = mass on spring
c = damping
k = spring constant
f(t) = external force.
y'', y', and y have there usual meanings.

Takes little time to implement and its a good example of an ODE application.

Related to Modeling Simple Harmonic Motion of a Spring: A Differential Equations Paper

1. What are differential equations?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe the relationships between the rate of change of a variable and the variable itself. They are used to model and solve problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. Why are differential equations important?

Differential equations are important because they provide a powerful tool for understanding and predicting the behavior of dynamical systems. They are used to model real-world phenomena such as population growth, motion of objects, and electrical circuits.

3. What are the different types of differential equations?

There are several types of differential equations, including ordinary differential equations (ODEs), partial differential equations (PDEs), and stochastic differential equations. ODEs involve a single independent variable, while PDEs involve multiple independent variables. Stochastic differential equations incorporate randomness into the equations.

4. How are differential equations solved?

Differential equations can be solved analytically or numerically. Analytical solutions involve finding a closed-form expression for the solution, while numerical solutions involve using algorithms and computer programs to approximate the solution. The method used depends on the complexity of the equation and the availability of analytical techniques.

5. What are some real-world applications of differential equations?

Differential equations have numerous real-world applications, including predicting weather patterns, designing electrical circuits, modeling chemical reactions, and analyzing the spread of diseases. They are also used in fields such as economics, biology, and engineering to understand and solve complex problems.