Modeling Meteorite Re-Entry Speeds: A Study of Drag and Impact on Earth

In summary, the conversation is about modeling the entrance and impact of a meteorite in Earth's atmosphere. The quadratic drag equation is used for high Reynolds numbers, but the question is whether it will still give a reasonable approximation for the meteorite's drag at supersonic speeds. The person asking has no background in aerodynamics and is looking for other equations or references on the topic. The expert suggests looking into Newtonian impact theory and provides a reference for further reading.
PeterH
I have been given the assignment to model the entrance of meteorite in Earth's atmosphere, and ultimately it's impact with earth.
The meteorite weighs 0.025kg, and has the speed 28.6km/s 50km vertically above the surface of the earth, giving it a Reynolds number of approximately 3.5*10^7.

The quadratic drag equation, F_d = 0.5*p*C_d*A*v^2, is used for Re > 1000.
My question is: Will this equation still give a reasonable approximation of the drag, experienced by the meteorite, or do you know of any other equations used at such high Reynold numbers and speeds?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What sort of class is this for? What is your background in aerodynamics?

Search for supersonic drag.

I have no background in aerodynamics, I have physics in high school (in Denmark).
I ask, as I am to model the motion of the meteorite as it moves through the atmosphere, and as it not only moves at a supersonic speeds, but at more than 3 times the lower limit of re-entry speeds (according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypersonic_speed#Classification_of_Mach_regimes), it was my thinking that a different equation might apply with regard to drag force.
I have searched for super- and hypersonic drag, and it is my understanding that the equation itself will not change, but the drag coeffecient will, due to change in or layers piling up in front of the boundry layer.

For the most part that is true depending on how accurate you would like your solution to be. Basically, at such high velocities, the drag is going to be dominated by drag due to the large shock wave that forms, called wave drag. Once it slows down, other forms of drag become increasingly important. I doubt it would ever slow to under the speed of sound, so wave drag will likely still always be the dominant form of drag, but there are others that may start to be appreciable. It would be difficult to find one drag coefficient to cover that whole Mach number range with any degree of accuracy. You could probably just treat the whole problem considering only wave drag and get a decent approximation, however. You might look into Newtonian impact theory. It was Newton's original theory of fluid motion in Principia that turned out to be spectacularly wrong in terms of describing fluids in general, but a fairly good estimate for hypersonic objects. It usually gives a pretty decent estimate of the forces on a body at high Mach numbers. You could run the numbers using that technique the whole way and then worry about correcting it for lower Mach numbers if your final answer even shows the Mach number dipping below 5 or so.

Thank you very much, truly helpful.
Lastly; is it possible for you to list some references or link some pages, that concern this Newtonian impact theory or Newton's original theory of fluid motion?

Great! Very helpful.

Related to Modeling Meteorite Re-Entry Speeds: A Study of Drag and Impact on Earth

1. What is the purpose of the study on modeling meteorite re-entry speeds?

The purpose of this study is to understand the factors that affect the speed at which meteorites enter Earth's atmosphere and to predict their impact on the surface.

2. How is drag related to meteorite re-entry speeds?

Drag is the force that opposes the motion of an object through a fluid, such as Earth's atmosphere. As meteorites enter the atmosphere, they experience drag, which slows them down and affects their speed upon impact.

3. What are some of the variables that are taken into account when modeling meteorite re-entry speeds?

Some of the variables that are considered in this study include the size and shape of the meteorite, its composition, and the density and temperature of the atmosphere at different altitudes.

4. How do you measure the speed of a meteorite upon impact?

The speed of a meteorite upon impact can be calculated using data from ground-based observations, such as the angle and direction of its trajectory, as well as data from satellite observations, such as its position and velocity in space.

5. What are some potential applications of the findings from this study?

The findings from this study can be used to improve our understanding of the risks and potential consequences of meteorite impacts on Earth. This information can also be applied to the development of more accurate models for predicting the movement and behavior of other objects, such as spacecraft, in Earth's atmosphere.