Modeling a car slowing down from speed

In summary, the conversation discusses the modeling of a car slowing down with the forces of drag, friction, and gravity from the road slope. The model includes equations for friction, drag, and slope forces, and the ultimate goal is to find an equation for displacement as a function of time. The conversation also mentions the need to incorporate road angle information and suggests fitting a smooth function to approximate the shape of the road.
Belacan
Hello!

I'm trying to model a car slowing down from speed with the forces of drag and friction and gravity from the road slope..

The model, which models the resistive forces is as follows..

[ Ffriction + Fdrag + Fslope ] / m = -a (deceleration)

where:

Friction force
Ffriction = A where A = mg x Rd, m is mass, g is gravity Rd is the friction coefficient

Drag force
Fdrag = B v2
where B = 0.5 x ρ x A x Cd, ρ is density, A is frontal area, Cd is drag coefficient

Force due to slope
Fslope
= C sin(θs) where C = mg, θs is the angle of the road at displacement s

The displacement data is given in a discrete form.. for example,

θ0 = 2.2°
θ1 = 4.1°
θ2 = 3.2°
θn = x

My ultimate goal is to have an equation that gives me displacement as a function of time.. given the parameters A, B, the initial velocity vi and the road angle information..

I've had success in modeling the car without accounting for the slope by solving the following differential equation (from the model..)

-a = A + B v2

-s''(t) = A + B s'(t)2

Simply solving for s(t) (with wolfram alhpa..) I get an expression for displacement as a function of time and the coefficients A & B as well as constants on integration C1 & C2..

My question is.. how can I incorporate the road angle information?

It would be easier the road angle information could be provided as a function of time, θ(t) instead of θ(s).. but both should be workable..

Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Is the road actually a set of straight line segments, each with a constant slope? If not, I suggest fitting a smooth function to the slope data that approximates the actual shape of the road.

Hi Stephan, good question.

Indeed the road is not a set of straight line segments so it would make sense to do as you suggested.. I imagine this may be a necessary part of the solution as it would make sense the solution would require you to integrate the equation of the road somehow..

Thanks for the reply!

Related to Modeling a car slowing down from speed

1. How do you model a car slowing down from speed in a scientific way?

The process of modeling a car slowing down from speed involves using mathematical equations and principles of physics to accurately represent the motion of the car. This includes factors such as velocity, acceleration, and friction.

2. What factors affect the speed at which a car slows down?

The speed at which a car slows down is affected by several factors, including the car's initial speed, the braking force applied by the driver, the weight and size of the car, and the road conditions. Other factors, such as air resistance and the condition of the brakes, may also play a role.

3. Can you predict how long it will take for a car to come to a complete stop?

Yes, using mathematical models and equations, it is possible to predict how long it will take for a car to come to a complete stop from a certain initial speed. This can be affected by various factors, as mentioned in the previous question.

4. How does the mass of a car affect its deceleration rate?

The mass of a car does affect its deceleration rate. The heavier the car, the more force is required to slow it down, resulting in a slower deceleration rate. This is due to the car's inertia, which is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its motion.

5. Is it possible for a car to slow down without applying brakes?

Yes, a car can slow down without applying brakes. This can happen if the car is going up an incline, or if the driver takes their foot off the accelerator. In these cases, the car slows down due to the force of friction between the tires and the road, as well as air resistance. However, this deceleration rate may be slower compared to when the brakes are applied.