Modeling Heat Transfer for Different Shapes and Fluids

In summary, the conversation is about the topic of modeling heat transfer for different shapes and fluids. The individual is looking for resources and recommendations, including any potential problems with assumptions and a possible reference book on the subject. They also mention having access to MATLAB and its toolboxes.
Keepitsimple
Hi,

I have nothing to do this summer so I figured I would like to model the heat transfer for different shapes and fluids and compare with experimental values.. :)

Anyway I searched on google and found nothing. What are the main problems? For example is it acceptable to assume that the shielding of the liquid has no depth (glasses, beer cans, milk packages etc).

Are there any good books on this subject?

I have access to MATLAB and all its toolboxes.

Science news on Phys.org
Hi. Try doing a google with "modelling heat transfer". There are a lot of hits, mostly for products that do this, but also some theory later on.

thank you, more complicated than expected though :).

If you're looking for a reference book, I can recommend "Heat Transfer" by Necati M Ozisik. It's the book I used for my course, and it's very useful. Lot's of references to various papers, correlations, etc.

Related to Modeling Heat Transfer for Different Shapes and Fluids

1. What is heat transfer and why is it important?

Heat transfer is the movement of thermal energy from one object or substance to another. It is important because it affects many aspects of our daily lives, from cooking to climate control. Understanding heat transfer allows us to design more efficient systems and processes.

2. How do different shapes affect heat transfer?

The shape of an object can impact heat transfer in several ways. For example, a larger surface area will allow for more heat to be transferred, while a curved surface may have a different rate of heat transfer compared to a flat surface. The shape can also affect the direction of heat flow.

3. What is the role of fluid in heat transfer?

Fluids, such as water or air, play a critical role in heat transfer. They can act as a medium for heat to travel through, and their properties, such as density and viscosity, can affect the rate of heat transfer. Fluids also have the ability to absorb and release heat, making them an important factor in many heat transfer processes.

4. How do different types of fluids impact heat transfer?

The type of fluid being used can greatly impact heat transfer. For example, water has a higher thermal conductivity compared to air, meaning it can transfer heat more efficiently. Viscosity, density, and specific heat capacity are other important factors to consider when looking at the impact of different fluids on heat transfer.

5. What are some common methods for modeling heat transfer for different shapes and fluids?

Some common methods for modeling heat transfer include analytical solutions, numerical simulations, and experimental measurements. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the most appropriate method will depend on the specific scenario and parameters involved.